FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Motherhood vs Fatherhood: Asimovian Perspectives

Author Topic: Motherhood vs Fatherhood: Asimovian Perspectives
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Two anthologies from Asimov's SF magazine:

quote:

Isaac Asimov's Mother's Day
These remarkable stories, first published in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, celebrate the transcendent power of a mother's love . . .
Connie Willis ventures into a world where the advent of a revolutionary new technology has forever changed the nature of the mother-daughter relationship . . . Tanith Lee unveils a strange and magical vision of motherhood . . . Mike Resnick and Susan Shwartz travel to the heart of Africa, where an otherworldly mother cures the terminally ill . . . Kristine Kathryn Rusch steps into the future to explore the problems that arise when the mother-child roles are suddenly reversed . . .

quote:

Isaac Asimov's Father's Day
From the pages of Asimov's Science Fiction- today's most creative minds explore the fierce, fragile bond between fathers and their children...

Harry Turtledove's " In the Presence of Mine Enemies" brings readers to an alternate future where a father's laegacy could be a fatal secret...
A daughter confronts her dead father- and her own life choices in Pamela Sargent's "Amphibians" ...
In James Patrick Kelly's "Itsy Bitsy Spider," a woman visits her estranged father and rediscovers her childhood- in a chillingly altered form...

Why are stories about mother-child relationships almost always positive? Why are stories about father-child relationships negative?

Why is a mother's bond to her child 'transcendent' and a father's 'fragile?'

[ December 18, 2003, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Why is a mother's bond to her child 'transcendent' and a father's 'fragile?'"

Marketing.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it's because I trust my mother but not my father.

I have no idea how horribly I'm generalizing here, but I think fathers are more likely to abandon their families than mothers.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom: That's a circular tautology. Marketing that works plays on deeper memes.

Tradition? Because the close, understanding dads are traditionally the exception, no matter what actually should be?

Or... because much science fiction is still written by men, and men usually have a better relationship with the mother who adores them than the father they must live up to.

Annie: It sure seems like it, doesn't it?

If you look in other genres, there are plenty of caustic mother stories written by women.

[ December 18, 2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, I think it's because sci-fi caters to people who idolize their mothers and identify "manhood" with "struggle."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I think Tom's right, mostly-- but why is this attitude so . . . marketable?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a tradition though in SF stories of the male hero having a son he never knew he had, and then the son showing up 20 years later to become his pal and fellow adventurer... example comes to mind = "Star Trek -- The Wrath of Khan"... so the Mom does all the work raising the kid, but then the kid goes off to enjoy doing heroic stuff with his dad...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jRc
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for jRc   Email jRc         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems so different from fantasy, where father figures are often very strong and mothers have died early in the hero's childhood--but it also gives the feeling that the mother's influence abides eternally although the hero needs to be cut from the proverbial apron strings to really become a hero.
Posts: 563 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon, do I have to be the first to say it?

Freud. Duh.

[Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* That's what I was trying to say without invoking the name of that fetishist.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Subtlety is overrated.

*Channels his inner odouls*

[Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always hated the contrast between the views of fathers and mothers in our society. I hate the assumption that men can't be good parents. I hate the assumption that having a womb gives you some sort of magic insight into how to raise children, or at least how to do it better than those who don't have wombs. I hate it that bad relationships with fathers is somewhere between "too bad" to "it figures," but bad relationships with mothers is "tragic." I hate the way it makes me feel. I have always hated it. I don't think I'm ever really going to get over it.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

The parts of society who say those things are wrong. Flat out.

Both parents are important, and gender stereotypes so seldom hold true I wonder what keeps them going.

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't even need to leave Hatrack to find men who are good parents, so obviously the people who say they can't be are wrong. But a whole lot of people still say it, and I hate it that they do.

[ December 18, 2003, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Saxon- what if men in general really DO suck at being husbands and fathers?

quote:
I think it's because sci-fi caters to people who idolize their mothers and identify "manhood" with "struggle."
Case in Point-- Gardner Dozois Unloads on His Parents

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.