FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Different Way of Looking at That Stupid Cat.

Author Topic: A Different Way of Looking at That Stupid Cat.
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
If you ever wondered.

That cat that roams your house really isn't there for your best interest.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Like I've always said, having more than one cat around is asking for trouble. They form communities and pretty much poo-poo all humans. Although usually they don't try to eat you.

I do like cats, though.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Cats are just autistic dogs.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

As if.

Dogs are retarded cats.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't cats fetch, or do other useful things, then? Seems to me that they must be the retarded ones if they can't follow simple directions.

[Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

If somebody throws a stick and yells "Fetch," the cat's thinking, "YOU threw it. YOU fetch it."

Cats are smart enough to know who's boss, but they don't lord it over you too much unless they're hungry.

[Smile]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
My cats have been known to play fetch....
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Humans would never do sink so low as to eat their pets! Each other, maybe; but not their pets. [Razz]

We have a cat that used to fetch, but it had been raised by dogs. This cat quit fetching when our other cat took it aside and explained the facts of life to it.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, look at the bright side: even if they do eventually eat you, they'll eat that dumb mutt first. Every dog that dies by a cat's paw brings us closer and closer to a utopian life.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be lacking a sense of humor today.

[Frown]

Or maybe I just miss my cat.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
My sister's cat used to play fetch, but then he got older and smarter.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
...and fatter and lazier, probably.

I was hoping this was a thread about Schrodinger's Cat. [Frown]

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
My cats will play fetch, not all the time, just when they want to play. They can also open doors by themselves, but not when I tell them too.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Dogs won't bat a silly fake mouse around for hours. [Razz]

They need a whole deer.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYSOAL
Member # 3846

- posted      Profile for BYSOAL           Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I think about it, I should probably warn you the parable gets slightly graphic at the end...

quote:
"Let me tell you the most beautiful story I know.
A man was given a dog, which he loved very much.
The dog went with him everywhere,
but the man could not teach it to do anything useful.
The dog would not fetch or point,
it would not race or protect or stand watch.
Instead the dog sat near him and regarded him,
always with the same inscrutable expression.
'That's not a dog, that's a wolf,' said the man's wife.
'He alone is faithful to me,' said the man,
and his wife never discussed it with him again.
One day the man took the dog with him into his private airplane
and as they flew high over winter mountains,
the engines failed
and the airplane was torn to shreds among the trees.
The man lay bleeding,
his belly torn open by blades of sheared metal,
but all he could think of was his faithful dog.
Was he alive? Was he hurt?
Imagine his relief when the dog came padding up
and regarded him with that same steady gaze.
After an hour the dog nosed the man's bleeding abdomen,
then began pulling out intestines and spleen and liver
and gnawing on them,
all the while studying the man's face.
'Thank God,' said the man.
'At least one of us will not starve.'"

B.Y.S.O.A.L.

[ December 20, 2003, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: BYSOAL ]

Posts: 55 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
This is pretty common, cats will begin to regard a human as food as soon as they die or become incapacitated. Dogs usually will only do so if they're starving. I'm impressed the cats looked emaciated, I would have expected them to begin chowing down right away. Maybe because she was still alive.

My husband cannot stand cats, hates the creatures. He tolerates my cat for my sake, and because as all things go, she is a good cat.

He said if I went to as many emergency calls as he did to houses where people have been dead a few days and happened to own cats - I'd feel differently.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
So, cats are basically not much different than humans. Because I hate to tell you, but if I were trapped in a room and couldn't get out and all I had to eat was one of you people, um, don't fall asleep is all I'm sayin'. [Evil]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
*shudder* That episode is quite possibly the single most disturbing for me in all of OSC's work. And I've read Maps in the Mirror. [Smile] The other two biggies are the sweet sisters and the dogs in "In the Doghouse." Just so you all know. [Smile]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.