FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is this something new, or am I imagining things?

Author Topic: Is this something new, or am I imagining things?
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Hatrack seem to be getting a lot more touchy and quick to offense lately?

DON'T INSULT THE HUG THREADS!!

DON'T DERAIL THREADS WITH POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS!

DON'T YOU SAY ANYTHING MEAN TO <insert screen name>!!!

and so forth.

Has it always been like this here, and I just missed it?

There are just too many toes to avoid....

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
You're an idiot, why don't you go cry in the hugs thread.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Bite me!
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, probably.

Some of that was me, and I'm defending Anne Kate, who really is perfectly capable of defending herself. I just hate seeing her hurt.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

It's not just you, kat... shoot, I've been guilty of being a little quick to offense myself, lately.

But there does seem to be a general hypersensitivity to offense around here, lately. Seems like too many things are considered sacred and untouchable, when it used to be a lot more relaxed.

See? It's a whole new take on the "Hatrack has changed!" lament!

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Each of us go through cycles of hypersensativity. Sometimes those cycles tend to coincide. I think also that the time of year has a lot to do with it. Emotions run very high (for all kinds of different reasons) as this time of year. That's a big reason why the domestic violence, depression, suicide and homicide numbers tend to spike at this time of year.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
And heart attacks. My inbox is filled with news of employees of our division in the hospital.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Each of us go through cycles of hypersensativity.
*Ahem* No, I believe only girls do that.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you rather I'd said "Each of us go through times of hypersensativity"? Guys aren't immune to hypersensativity... [Razz]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Not all girls, even. Some of us find better living through chemistry. [Wink]
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thread I think shouldn't become a politcal forum is the thank the troops thread, it was made to thank people wo ae dying for us, whether we agree with the war or not, and I just think some of the coments, namely BrianM's were far out of place.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Better living through chemistry is certainly my motto. [Smile]
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me you made it a political forum, and you don't object to it being one, as long as only politics you agree with are expressed.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided not to say anything in that thread, but Icarus is right, Rhaegar. You made it a political thread by stating outright that the soldiers are there to protect us.

The people who don't believe in the war probably don't believe they are there to protect us.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with politics anyway? It won't bite!
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
<comes in battered and bruised from the "Please don't forget us" thread.>

Who's quick to offend? [Wink]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I've been getting progressively more stressed out recently as the holidays approach. No real good reason for it, last year was far worse. Though I'm not actually as badly stressed as last year either.

On the other hand I do get tired of having my shoulders turn into knots and being in pain from the stress.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack I went over and looked at that thread and it raised my ire. The level of vulgarity and personal attacks are horrible.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah isn't it though.

Rereading it, I can't help but grimmace. It really turned on me. It wasn't my best morning. And I just really hope no one will leave because of it. Especially odouls!

Yes, I did read your last post in there AJ.

-scottneb-

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I, er, could kind of see where Hatrack's motto might b 'I take offense to that.'

And, yeah, I'm one of the culprits.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efrum
Member # 6030

- posted      Profile for efrum   Email efrum         Edit/Delete Post 
I take offense to that! [Wink]
Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Everybody has those moments of hypersensitivity. Lord knows I have. No big deal. I certainly don't think anyone's leaving over that thread.

Nobody's horrible or evil, we just disagree over what is appropriate. We don't have to hate people because we disagree.

It's all good. [Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I take offense at your assumption of what Hatrack's motto should be.

I vote for

"Don't forget cute and fluffy!" -Stitch

I'm so much more fun when I remember to take my meds. [Taunt]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

*cough*Storm*cough*

[ December 19, 2003, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

I think "More fun with meds" is a good slogan in itself!
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I worry that it seems some equate "passion" with "incivility," as if one's own tendency to curse and/or throw punches is a pure measure of the strength of one's commitments.

It is quite possible to care very deeply about something, to be firmly commited to understanding a furthering a particular cause, and yet not lose control of oneself when discussing it.

In fact, I usually find the opposite to be true -- those whose self-identity (based on a cause) is more important to them than the cause itself are the first ones willing to go to fisticuffs. If you care more about the cause than you do about your own sense of pride, then you will use more effective arts of persuasion.

*frown

We are guests here.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] Have I told you lately that I love you CT? (Yes, you can sing the Rod Stewart song with me!)

That was eloquently put folks.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I have lately been partial to "More fun with Mods."

--Steve (P-Web Mod)

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.