FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite SINGLE line from ROTK (don't read if you haven't seen) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite SINGLE line from ROTK (don't read if you haven't seen)
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, finally got to go see ROTK yesterday.

My favorite single line from the movie had to be

"okay - but that still only counts as ONE!" -- Gimli
------------

my daughter's favorite line was when she pulled off her helmet, drew her sword, and said "I'm not any man!"

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was, "I am no man!" That's my fave, too. [Razz]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yes - I didn't quote it exactly right. But I knew others that watched it would know what I meant.. [Smile]

FG

[ December 22, 2003, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
"You bow to no one."
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
"...but this is not that day! Today, we fight!"
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna have to go with "I am no man," as well, though I liked the quote in the book a bit better.

quote:
But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.
I love Eowyn. [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Smite" is a wonderful word. I think I like the "counts as one" line the best too, but I'll have to see it again.

edited for using the phrase "i think" an obnoxious number of times...

[ December 22, 2003, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: MyrddinFyre ]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
Smite is indeed a wonderful word.

And my favorit line was probably "that still only counts as one" but since it has already been mentioned I feel I need to add another line. So a close second would be.... "You will suffer me"

Nor mally I would put:

"We suffer no one living to pass" -dead king dude

"You will suffer me" -rightful king dude

but it is the Favorite SINGLE line thread, so I won't put as the line I chose. [Cool]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
The speech Theoden gives was great, though that wasn't really a single line. Maybe the end of it I guess.

Something like: "Ride to ruin, and the world's ending. Death!"

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Theoden: (not sure if this quote is exact. Some of us have not downloaded the script and keep it handy for such needs as this) "No, we cannot win. But we will fight."
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it counts as a single line, but I loved Pippin's singing. Probably my favorite part of the entire movie.

That voice is a voice I could drown in and one I would take over Alan Rickmans!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I bought the soundtrack on the strength of that voice.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Was that really Pippin (Billy Boyd) singing? Or did they voice-over someone else's voice?

FG

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that was him *swoons*

I, too, asked for the RotK soundtrack on the strength of Billy Boyd's singing [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
This is my favorite line in the book:

"I may not be able to carry the ring, but I can carry you." Said oh so lovingly by my favorite Samwise.

I also love it when Frodo says that he's glad that Sam is with him "at the end of all things."

But I get chills during Aragorn's final battle speech when he says "I see in your eyes fear that would take the heart of me..." OOOoooooo! *Shivers*

Wonderful stuff. I can't pick just one. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Narn took EXACTLY all of my favorite lines. [Razz]
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Kiss] That's why you're my minion dear. [Big Grin]

(((Zotto!)))

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh! Ohh! Can I be minion too? *jumps up and down excitedly*

I gotta throw in my vote for "I see in your eyes the fear that would take the heart of me!" It's just amazing how good that line is.

It's also amazing how divergent the quality of the dialogue gets in these movies. I mean, from the above line all the way down to "Fangorn Forest? What madness drove them in there?" - when it's perfectly obvious what drove them in there: an orc with a spear in his shoulder and a sharp sword in his hand!!

[ December 22, 2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Lime ]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia: Yes, yes, you're right. But I have one to add.

"Don't go where I can't follow"

Clichedand sappy, true, but taht doesn't change the fact that I was crying like a baby when Samwise said it!

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
"I move...for no man"

Oh wait, wrong movie.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely think I'm with Javert Hugo
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Noe-mon, it figures that's your favorite line.
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Actually, it's an Attic Greek name, with the "e" pronounced as an "ay". That's how I pronounce it, anyway. Means "thoughtful"
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

No-ay-mon?

I'm going to have to retrain the voices in my head.

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
"If I return, I hope you won't think so badly of me."
"That depends on how you return!"

"He's still alive! He needs some medicine."

"I hold--that you have fulfilled your vow."

"Now that you're crowned king, you can have my daughter, Mr. Anderson." --Oh wait, that was an ad lib from someone in the audience.

"I've saved the Shire, but not for myself."

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, I didn't quite explain it right. I pronounce the "e" as you would the letter "a", with the stress in the name falling on that syllable. I have no idea if that's actually how a speaker of Attic Greek would have pronounced it, though, so feel free to pronounce it however you'd like.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

no-AY-mahn? Like that?

I don't know how to pronouce Attic Greek either.

*sings out* Dante!

JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
All of the above, plus Legolas' "How about a friend?" (in response to Gimli's "I never thought I'd be dying next to an Elf.").

I can't pick just one. [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Why Attic? I prefer Homeric. [Smile]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
It is so hard to pick one, and all the ones I remember from one intense viewing have been taken, but I'll second a couple anyway.

I definitely love "You bow to no one." However, I love when Sam says "Don't go where I can't follow." I actually didn't get to hear that in the theater because the sound cut out, and big thanks to whoever talked about that scene in another thread.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Actually, nobody *really* knows how the ancient Greeks pronounced anything, at least not difinitively. For all we know they said everything in a sort of high pitched, keening whine, and every third word was bellowed at the top of their lungs.

Actually, Anne Kate, there's a minor character in The Odyssey named Noemon, so I suppose you could say it was a Homeric name too. I first came across it in something or other in Attic Greek, which is why I think of it as that.

ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I had some tapes once by someone who thought he knew how. Apparently very different from the received version taught in schools. He used lots of clues from the texts themselves, for instance the fact that sheep said "be be" (beta epsilon), in some place or other. He was fun, one of those very precise scholarly types who are in love with their extremely obscure fields. Sort of how I picture Professor Tolkien. [Smile]

I like Homeric Greek cause I like Homer, I guess. It's so vivid and full of life. It make you feel that it's more full-blooded and alive than Attic Greek. (I'm sure that is probably blasphemy, and Dante might be apoplectic to hear me say it.) I tried to teach myself Homeric Greek once long ago but didn't get very far. [Smile] I know that most Greek courses teach Attic.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Leah, you're absolutely right. That one should definitely be on the top of the list.

*sigh* I need to marry someone like Samwise Gamgee. [Wink]

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
"Well, I'm back."
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know if it counts as a single line, but I loved Pippin's singing. Probably my favorite part of the entire movie.

That voice is a voice I could drown in and one I would take over Alan Rickmans!

*nods vigorously*

But I can't choose one line. Some of the dialogue was fantastic. I loved Gimli's "That still counts as ONE!" as well as his "I can't believe I'm dying next to an elf!" (to which Legolas' response is "How about a friend?") So, for those of you who mentioned those, I agree. [Smile]

But I really can't pick just one, so many of them were great!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

So after seeing it again today, I'm adding a line to my already long list above:

When Aragorn turns to the company at the end, smiles to himself and then says "For Frodo" before he charges the black gate.

Aaaah.

I also love Frodo's voice over speech to Sam at the end as Sam comes home and meets Rosie and the kids. Beautiful script writing.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
"No, we cannot win, but we will fight nonetheless"
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
The scene at the Black Gate is becoming my favorite of the whole movie.

I'm finding myself always whispering "Elessaaaar" for no reason. My co-workers think I'm bonkers.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
"The salted pork is partickularly good"

I love hobbits.

And in "Into the West" (song while credits are rolling).

"(something something) on the horizen
Why do the white gulls call"

My friend and I ended up walking home from seeing RotK the 3rd time with that song in our heads. I live in Seattle. On the coast. We were walking on a sort of hill with mountains on either side and Lake Washington in all its glory before us, singing that song, and then a flock of seagulls rose up crying... I'm still not entirely returned to reality...

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"(something something) on the horizen
Why do the white gulls call"

"What can you see
On the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?"

I love that song. [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

The words fit so beautifully as what Sam might be saying to Frodo when they're back in the Shire. I have decided that that's what *I'm* going to think their purpose is. [Smile]
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
"May the best dwarf win." Gimli to Legolas once they get off the ships.
Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
"And then we will lead them up the stairs"
"And then..."
"Then they will go into the tunnel."
"And after that"
"She will eat them, she's always hungry."

Or something of the like, between Gollum and himself.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Henceforth to be known, for the sake of convenience, as "Gollum's Infodump".
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the silences. I also liked most of the lines. I can't chose, but the way the second Osgiliath battle (the one where they 'all' died) was done, with just the song, no dialog and silence, was fabulous.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't even remember what he says it in response to, but when Merry says "Yes milady" he had the funniest expression. It's burned on my brain.

The end of Denethor and also Gandalf saying "So ends Denethor" or whatever it is he says. It was just kind of like :shrug: I tried :unshrug:

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Noeman- there is a line from "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" that's "I works for no man". Where is "moves" from?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

I have a friend who consistently calls me "milady" and has for ages. Merry saying it gave me a pang.
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart out of me. There may come a day when the courage of men fails, when the earth shakes as the world of men comes crashing down, But it is not this day, this day... We Fight!

I hope I quoted that right. Not a one liner, but the best part of the movie, and just so you all know, If I could be transported into any movie and have it be real, even though I speak elvish, it would be Last Samurai, their is no better way to die than the way they did.

RTF

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

quote:
How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart you begin to understand there *is* no going back? There are some things time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep... and take hold.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.