FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fun With Voice Synthesis

Author Topic: Fun With Voice Synthesis
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty slow at work today, and people in my dept. have been entertaining themselves with this.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Try it with the "best quotes of LOTR" page.

You know they are good lines when they sound good even then. [Smile]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.A.M.A.
Member # 6045

- posted      Profile for K.A.M.A.           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's better.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That's a great idea kat!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The default voice, the "U.S. English Male" is the same dreadful synth voice they've had for 20+ years. *shudder* But the "U.S. English Female" is pretty good, and I like "British English" voice.

I do wonder why almost all their (available) voices are male, especially since studies show that both men and women tend to listen more attentively to a female voice.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Cuz men tend to say what they mean, while women tend to emote what they mean [Big Grin]
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Does Kama have a Hatrack nick, or was that her first post here?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Kama's been around for quite awhile; that's just her first post as an acronym.

IBM has a couple of other voice synthesizers that have more (and better) female voices, but for some reason it wasn't letting me access them yesterday.

ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty cool! I like the British one best. These sound much better than the dude who reads the weather on my NOAA station. That guy sounds like he's got a heavy Russian accent. And he has a lot of trouble with local place names, particularly those that are Native American words.

Funny how very hard it is to get computers to do some things that seem really easy to us, isn't it? But you can't read a passage with correct intonation unless you understand what it means. That's all there is to it. And it will be a long time before computers understand what things mean, I think.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, Elaine, check out my registration date, yo.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.A.M.A.
Member # 6045

- posted      Profile for K.A.M.A.           Edit/Delete Post 
It's simply no longer necessary to keep my real identity a secret, since it's so widely known.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the question became rhetorical after that post. K.A.M.A threw me off, and I thought, wasn't Kama from Hatrack? So I went looking....
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.