FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Remember the face of your father."

Author Topic: "Remember the face of your father."
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
and its corollary "You have forgotten the face of your father."

I've got this evolving image of what these phrases must mean, but I'm still not sure.

Is this a way to call on your teachings?
Is it a way to remember you're human?
Is it a way to feel the loyalty/connection to your home?
Is it a way to chase out all frivolous thought?
Is it father as in sire or father as in Creator?

Tom? Slash? Locke:? Caleb? David Bowles? Rakeesh? Anyone?

[ December 26, 2003, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
This is from Stephen King's Dark Tower series?
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

ak- Yes. Have you read it?
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I googled for the phrase, because it sounded intriguing. I would like to know what it means. It's a great phrase.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
From having read all of the series but the latest, I think it means you've lost (forgotten) your place. You responsibility, both filial and to your society. It's a great insult that tends to pull people back into themselves reflectively. I believe they mean "father" as in your sire and all the gunslingers that came before. Their sense of duty seemed great. Just a thought. (can't wait to read the new one)
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It means that you are no longer considering the honor of your ancestors when acting, and are not allowing their teachings to guide you.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like the Lion King, you know? [Razz]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Tom-
I was at that conclusion until the point where Eddie says he doesn't care about the face of his father.

After Eddie apologizes, Roland tells him "Speak not so gunslinger. Your father sees you very well, and loves you very well, and so do I."

From that point, the phrase seemed to take on a larger meaning to me.

In this series, Susannah supposedly prays, but to something different than the concept of God she had in her when.

I'm probably stretching, but could there be a connection?

[ December 26, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
The civilization of Gilead is very filio-pietistic. Exempli gratia: The great hall is called the Hall of the Grandfathers, if I remember correctly. The weapons are passed down from father to son.

The mantra of 'remember the face of your father' is one that I always interpreted (and very subconsciously, now that I think of it) as one that simply meant to remember one's duty to the family and lineage, to act in a way that would be approved of by the father.

Here is the full 'lesson' (as Roland calls it) as spoken by Susannah in The Waste Lands:

quote:
"'I do not aim with my hand; she who aims with her hand has forgotten the face of her father.

"'I shoot with my mind.'"

"So it has ever been, Susannah Dean."

"'I do not kill with my gun; she who kills with her gun has forgotten the face of her father.

"'I kill with my heart'"

Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
:Locke
Member # 2255

- posted      Profile for :Locke   Email :Locke         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I killed it.
Posts: 1744 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.