FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Unusual Christmas Gifts

Author Topic: Unusual Christmas Gifts
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother-in-law purchased a toaster for Mooselet. It toasts the well-known Mickey Mouse symbol into one side of the toast (or is supposed to, anyway), and plays the Mickey Mouse Club theme song when the toast pops up.

Anyone else receive something out-of-the-ordinary? (I don't really want to sift through the entire "what did you get" thread.)

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a VERY unusual Christmas gift that some people exchanged.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!

I got world peace for Christmas. But I'm not sharing.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
You sure you didn't get whirled peas, Bob? [Wink]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw cr@p! Again!!!????
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to give smiles as a present. I have yet to find out if it was a successful operation.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
That link was hilarious! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a small sachet of "Iron Goddess of Mercy" oolong tea.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
My financial aid finally came through! Totally unexpected, but very welcome. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my aunts gave my brother this.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
That IS odd, RRR. Did she make it herself? I would be proud to own such an odd thing, but puzzled.

I got a tiny piggy bank with my name on it. It says that it will hold one (1) lucky penny. *grin* It's not so odd, though, I like pigs. Hubby is a good man, and perceptive.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
A relative gave me a Christian book about premarital sex. Now that's just weird.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Conversely to ae (or maybe in conjunction to it), last year my father gave my brother a masturbator's kit. It came equipped with lube, a damp rag, a latex glove, and the back of the cardboard package was dartboard-esque target circle.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I know about an unusual Christmas gift!!

One of my very favorite people in the whole entire world, who used to live here but moved to Australia (where she was born), gave birth to a little girl on the 22nd of December. [Monkeys] *bounces up and down*

YAY! Congrats to Deb, and Gerardo (her beautiful Argentinian husband) and little Alexandra!! I know they won't see this, but I'm SO excited for them! I want to babysit! Too bacd I'm 30 plane hours away... [Frown]

But YAY! [The Wave]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I once wrapped up a pack of batteries, wrote "Gift Not Included on the pack, and gave it to my sister for Christmas.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Heh!
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Rappin Ronnie!!! Whoa! My eyes! Post a warning next time!!! [Eek!]

Mack, that's pretty funny. I wish I'd thought of that.

Were they dead batteries?

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad always guesses what we get him for Christmas. Always, no matter how we wrapt it. So one year, we bought him a pepper grinder. The package said "The Perfect Gift." He didn't guess what it was, though! And every time he used it, he would say, "This really is the perfect gift."

Another time we bought him a brand of herbal tea called "Constant Comment," and he thought it was great each time he had some to make constant comments about it.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a raincheck. No kidding. (For a gun.)

Infer at your lesiure.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
They were good batteries. I'm not THAT evil.

My sister also has the "can guess what's in the package before she opens it" syndrome.

One year, I wrapped her presents. My mother had all these random tins laying around, so I gathered all I could. I stuffed my sister's gifts into the various tins, even separating a pair of slippers into individual tins.

She couldn't guess.

She walked into the kitchen and demanded to know what I'd done.

I told her. [Big Grin]

Our mother left the room and my sister promptly flipped me off. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Our mother left the room and my sister promptly flipped me off. [Big Grin]
Now that's a gift that keeps on giving...
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister knows that one of the things I miss at the churches I serve is a strong music program. Her church has a great one, so for the last year she bought a CD for me from every guest artist that played at her church and saved them for my Christmas present. [Smile]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Plaid sent me almond and cashew butter, some postcards, and some comics. It was the most random gift I've ever gotten, but I really liked it!

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
my roommate got a toaster that imprints a picture of tigger on every piece of bread it toasts
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
almond and cashew butter...

*drool*

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
First of: Toretha, do NOT LET LACEY TELL CORELLE ABOUT THAT. Wait... She can't have it in the dorm... On second thought, go on ahead.

I asked for (and got) a baby name book (I use it for stories). The look on my mother's face was priceless (she went dead white). And my father's reaction: "She wants WHAT?!"

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

And Mayday gets a hearty "heh."

And Anna, whoa, roommate? Here I thought you were 16.

Lead
Member # 918

- posted      Profile for Lead   Email Lead         Edit/Delete Post 
This year I received a hammer from my best friend. [Big Grin]

~~~Lead

Posts: 247 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
After a trip to England, I sent out Exmouth cards.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I asked for (and got) a baby name book (I use it for stories). The look on my mother's face was priceless (she went dead white). And my father's reaction: "She wants WHAT?!"
lol, my parents had about the same reaction when I borrowed their baby name book off the shelf and kept it in my room for the same purpose. (I was 13 at the time [Evil] )
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL.

On a more serious bent, I was given a beautiful sterling silver necklace with a "prayer box". I'd never seen anything like it. It's this delicate little box that actually opens and closes, with praying hands and some sort of Celtic design. It's very cool.

The interesting part was that Grammy gave it to me. (Yes, "the" Grammy) What should I pray for, I wonder?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to read my parents' baby name book all the time. Of course, having a new sibling every other year throughout my teenage years was the perfect excuse. [Razz]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I read and researched Baby Name books and sites from about aged ten onwards. This perpetually frightened my parents. I always have to patiently warn them. "No, I'm not pregnant, but..." I also had to prove that I'm NOT the only person in the world who reads baby name books. *sigh*

quote:
brand of herbal tea called "Constant Comment,"
I know that tea! We always make constant comments about it too!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

*laughs* now even ONLINE people think i'm younger than I am, and yall don't even SEE me. Ah well, at least you don't think I'm 12....

I'm 18, and will turn 19 in January. Freshman in college. Although, I could be 16 and in college like my friend tim.... [Razz]

And Mayday, didn't I already tell both you and A about it? or maybe it was just A...anyway-mwahahaahaa, maybe I'll wait until she decides she's sick of dorm living then tell her about it. Or sneak it in.

[ December 28, 2003, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I received a set of WWE coffee mugs and cocoa mix.

Now, I admit, I am a wrestling fan (feel free to make fun). But wrestling cups and cocoa? I just find that a little weird.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Whoa, dude, you're not the small chick who hangs around with Avadaru? Who's sixteen? I think?

Crap. I think everyone here's Cedrios and he's having trouble keeping his stories straight.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I love giving strange gifts.

One year, for our anniversary, I adopted a whale and gave it to my wife.

Then last year, for Christmas, I gave my wife an agreement to adopt.

We spent this year getting ready, and working on adopting from Russia.

So this year I gave her some Russian clothes from a web-site in Russia. It included a beautiful delicate shawl and a really Russian hat.

Its warm and a pretty shade of blue-grey, and, as my wife researched and discovered, a man's hat.

Personally, I recently recieved a single dollar bill from someone, almost randomly in the mail. It made my day.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

yes, I'm the small chick who hangs out with Jane (avadaru). I'm also older than Jane. Jane was sixteen until her birthday a few months ago when she turned 17, maybe it was her age and the fact that I look like i'm 12 that confused you....
Lalo
Member # 3772

That might've helped, but I think my being a moron was really the heaviest contributor to my confusion.

Heh, sorry, my mistake. If you'd prefer to be mistaken for older than you are, I'm sure I could get Bob and Icarus and Frisco to start calling you a crotchety old geezer. Though Bob may take personal offense...

Toretha
Member # 2233

*laughs* don't worry about it, everyone does it. At the dorm, they stopped me to ask my age, because they were worried i was some child prodigy in college at age 13. THings like that, and you make great stories

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.