FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Onus Dei

Author Topic: Onus Dei
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I assume that most of you have, by now, heard of Opus Dei, the controversial Catholic movement founded back in the 1920's by a Spanish priest and now sweeping the globe. It's name literally means "God's work" and members of this sub-sect are called to perform normal everyday acts as part of God's plan. It's alot the Filios in the Ender series (hmm... I wonder...) But members also practice corporal mortification and the truly involved folks are more like monks and cloistered nuns than laity.

Anyway, I've decided that a better group would be Onus Dei, literally "God's burden." What this group does is take up God's disagreeable chores as their own. Our charter calls upon us to:

- remind everyone that they are wretched sinners.

- speak ONLY in a still small voice

- create entire universes with one word (but not Verbum...that's be overused already)

- carve rules in stone

- recarve the same rules in stone again

- perform fire tending duty in the vicinity of semi-flammable bushes

- smite those who trespass on the holy of holies.

- alter the course of battles based on whether the partriarch's arms are raised or lowered.

- same thing but for parting seas.

- Locust and frog wrangling

- snake/staff two-way conversions

- keep Purgatory tidy

- enter things in the book

- make sure people copying scripture don't err

- much much more

Blasphemers are welcome...we need targets for twice-daily stonings.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Duuude...I'm all for getting stoned!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I forgot...we are also called upon to toss manna around on the rare occassion. And fix platters of loaves and fishes, fill water urns with wine. It varies... today you might be called to waft smoke heavenward (or not as the case may be) and tomorrow it might be herding demons into swine. You never can tell.

Oh, and I was kidding about that creating universes with one word bit. Seriously, don't even bother trying. Best I've been able to conjure up is a Walmart and that took like a whole dissertation to accomplish.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Do you have to be willing/able to do ALL of those? Or can you be the designated scripture-checker, for example?

I know I'd be terrible at the small voice and tidying, among other tasks.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Don't worry if you do a bad job...it's all part of God's plan.

But, in answer to your question, some within Onus Dei do manage to specialize. You've chosen one of the more difficult specialties because it requires some facility with languages ancient and modern as well cryptology, numerology, and cross-referencing. It's a very long apprenticeship.

Are you SURE you wouldn't rather do the "still small voice" thing? Pretend you have a throat problem, or imitate Marlon Brando's character in "The Godfather." That always helps me.

Oh well, scripture checking it is. Report to your cubicle and NO napping!!! [Eek!] That's how we get bad things like screwed up ages for the patriarchs and weird phrases like "Believe ON the Lord."

So stay alert!

Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it outside the bounds of the charter if the “disagreeable chores” are really kind of fun? For example: I’ve got like six bags of fire and brimstone just sitting in my garage, and I would love to rain some of that stuff down. Also, there are a couple of people who I would really appreciate more as pillars of salt. Check that. One of salt and one of pepper. Might as well get some use out of them. And to be honest, I should really cut down on the sodium. Better make one of them Mrs. Dash.

edited to improve my punch line

[ January 06, 2004, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: Wussy Actor ]

Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hmm. The small voice is definitely out -- I'm still working on medium. [Wink]

I already know Hebrew pretty well. You're going to make me learn GREEK and LATIN, aren't you? [Angst]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
lalalaalaaalaa

*hums in a still small voice while tidying up purgatory* [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm torn between "entering things in the book" and "smiting".

Could I combine the two? Zap a sinner with a bolt of lightning, then enter in the book "Jimmy hit the ground like he'd been beaned in the back of the head by a family-sized can of soup then started spasming like a frat guy attempting to breakdance."?

Or, enter "Sue neglected to return her shopping cart to its proper home, then nearly mowed down a 4-year-old on her frantic flee from the Ralph's parking lot.", then turn her car seat into something from a fighter jet and eject her through the roof of her SUV and into a pack of sex starved orangutangs?

Is there room for creative free thinkers in the office? Can we do our own thing (while still observing the spirit of the rules)?

[ January 07, 2004, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

God used to micromanage our group, but He's figured out that a better leadership style is to just give broad direction and trust us to figure it out for ourselves. So, there is some room for creativity as long as you don't draw too much attention to our group.

We are a secret organization, afterall. We have a secret sign we exchange with each other. It's called the inverse shrug. Basically, this is the gesture of acceptance of God's burden. Start with feet firmly planted and shoulders in the stiff upright and locked position. While stooping forward slowly, collapse the shoulders and bare the back of the neck as if you were collapsing slightly under the weight of Onus Dei...

Everyone feel the weight? Good!

Okay, we've got copy editing, brimstone, Purgatory maintenance, pillars of seasonings of various types (that was hilarious by the way...Mrs. Dash!), and smiting mixed with a bit of ledger accounting.

Cool!

We're off to a wonderful start.

Oh, did I mention this gig is for eternity. Don't sign up if you have a conflicting appointment.

Oh and rivka, there's enough going on just in Hebrew if you want to further specialize in rabbinical writings. Can we throw in the Kaballah or are you trying to cut back?

We could use someone to learn Arabic, though. Any takers? There seems to be a lot of confusion out there just now. Probably lots of smiting coming up on the horizon in certain sectors.

Oh, and we could use a good forensic accountant. Seems we'll have some jobs to do in Wall Street and probably the European Union.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I had thought that "Opus Dei" was a Bloom County fan club motto.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Kabbalah, Qu'abbala, Kabbala, Cabbala?

I'm so confused. If you Hebrews would just settle on a spelling. . .

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If y'all would just learn how to write words in the correct direction . . .

Bob, cool! I already have a gig studying various Rabbinical writings, so this should mesh well. My Arabic is practically non-existent, but I do know a handful of Aramaic. Can I work on that instead?

As far as kaballah, it's mostly over my head, but I'll try to work in a bit.

jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in applying for the recarving job. It seems that all I'd have to do is just tell people that I recarved perfectly over the original carve so that it looks exactly like it did before I recarved it. That way, I'd have plenty of time to stand around the baptismal font or tickle patriarchs who have their arms raised.

Do we get dental?

(edit: Freudian slip)

[ January 07, 2004, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: jehovoid ]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in that Universe Creation with one word gig. How long is the training? I even have my word picked out.

Hatrack.

(Do you also need people to sew on the wings of angels everytime a bell rings?)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

quote:
Do you also need people to sew on the wings of angels everytime a bell rings?
I think you've misinterpreted that one, Dan. Scholars have concluded that this actually refers to the onset of menstruation for the female angels, hence they are given maxipads.

Can I get a company car to go with this pair of company sandals?

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate organized religions, they are such rip offs.

*prepares to be stoned*

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

I think the stone-caster called in sick today.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh honey, you're going to have to try harder than that.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Since cell phones and digitized music have drastically cut into the number of physical bells actually ringing, God has decreed that synthetic wings will be given to angels when synthesized bells ring.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

You know, I'm beginning to suspect that some of you aren't treating this topic with the seriousness it deserves.
tabithecat
Member # 5228

- posted      Profile for tabithecat   Email tabithecat         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been looking for it all day and I have found my big net. I am all over the locust and frog wrangling. but the smiting people sounds fun too. which one are you doing Oh Bob?
and I'm a shoe in for the small voice!!

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Are the maxipads with wings? Or do we need to sew them on too? [Smile]
Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, I think people are treating this topic with exactly as much seriousness as it deserves.

I can't recall from that other thread, but does God like Dobie threads? If so, I'd like to be in charge of them for this group of yours. I have a really great idea for this thread, in fact....

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

tabithecat...small voice? Did you forget we've actually met? [Big Grin]

Yours can be the official laugh of Onus Dei, though.

Just got a new assignment from "upstairs." We need some folks to go around arranging things so that voters will believe campaign promises again this year. It's a full time job rearranging the universe...

Oh, and God still wants someone to inspire some decent hymns for the period between Easter and Christmas. It's so dull!!!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Papa Moose...Dobie threads...<check>
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Opus Dei is CREEPY... o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Opus Dei is CREEPY...
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Yep.

They make great fodder for Dan Brown's book, though.

I'm hoping he notices Onus Dei...

[Big Grin]

<encourages members to crack their knuckles as a form of corporal mortification>

C'mon people, offer it up to God! Let's hear some joints!!

rivka
Member # 4859

AAAAHHHHHH! I hate that sound! *whimper*
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I have it on good authority that while the whole "bells-to-angels'-wings" program has fallen on hard times, there is no truth to the rumor that the "every time a knuckle cracks, a prarie dog gets his antlers" program is any danger.

By the way, anyone with a hot-glue gun should report to the prairie tomorrow morning at 7:00 am.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man . . . can I be Mother Teresa? Or should I just settle for Sister Shan? At any rate, I want to be the one cracking students over the fingers with rulers and speaking in a very nasal tone of voice.

Barring that, you need someone to actually supervise, Bob. Middle management style, reports to three other positons before God but actually the other three positions don't get much say . . . savvy?

And if none of that works, can I be Jack Sparrow and keep track of the lowest depths of hell while sailing my ship through uncharted waters? [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be in charge of liberal watering-down of rules and miracles. Seriously, you know He needs this, or what would he do with all those prophets?

-o-

Incidentally, you don't really have to create universes with a single word. Does it reall matter that much if it takes one word or ten or even several billion years? It's still as special, right? So go ahead, take your time!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

(Notes taken from my Universe Creation Class before I flunked out)

Universe Creation 101:

It just takes one good movie to create a universe.

and two terrible prequels to destroy it.
So say'th George Lucas.

It is difficult to create a Universe in one word.

Tolkien came close, but it took him 4 good books and the Similarion.

"Universi made with binary numbers instead of one word are not quite as stable"-- Neo.

"Once created, the darned things take on a life of their own. No matter how hard I try to stop them, they want more, more, more." OSC

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of the same dobie, Moose, but I don't have the guts to post it.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you have to sift through all that muck, too? Amazing how many links Google provides....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

What Dobie??? I don't get it.

Oh, you mean Anus Dei??? Well, what's the link? Must...see...funny...link...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.