FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Finding out your parent is gay... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Finding out your parent is gay...
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my best friends from grad school found out today that his dad is gay. He was never close with his dad and he always knew that his parents frequently fought over his dad's affairs when he was younger. But he never knew those affairs were with men until today, when his dad confessed to him and his sister.

My friend is 28 and practically engaged to a wonderful woman. He is not a homophobe or anything. We don't have any close friends who are gay, and to be honest, gay issues do make us uncomfortable, but we have always maintained that what people do in the privacy of their own bedrooms should not affect their legal rights.

But my friend is completely flipping out about this. He questions his relationship with his parents and his own relationship with his girlfriend. I tried telling him that just because his dad is gay doesn't mean his relationship with his dad for the past three decades have been a lie.

I really hope he can pull through this without hating his father. Does anyone here have similar experiences dealing with a close friend or family member coming out of the closet? [Frown]

[ January 08, 2004, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I think there might (I'm being serious) some sort of support group, depending on what part of the country you're living in. Call your local crisis clinic or mental health clinic. They usually have listings of services and support groups.

I could be way off base here, but just as a reminder - your friend is probably going through the grieving process right now. Shock, denial, anger, sadness, fear, and hopefully getting to acceptance.

You're a good friend. [Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm reading this correctly, he knew his father had been having affairs, and that didn't make the father-son relationship a lie -- but he finds out his father has been having affairs with men, and he flips out?

The guy needs to ask himself why the gender of his dad's affairs matters so much to him. Maybe his dad's homosexuality forces the guy to question his own sexuality, and his discomfort with that kind of introspection is causing him to flip out. If he's going to hate his dad for being homosexual -- which he apparently does, having tolerated his father's affairs until he found out they were homosexual -- he really needs to re-evaluate what the definition of a homophobe is.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, a guy I was friends with from 5th grade until midway through college (we drifted apart after he joined a frat), Michael, recently came out of the closet. It wasn't a huge surprise to me--more of a "well I thought so" experience really--but many of our old mutual friends were surprised by it. One guy, who'd been friends with Michael as long as I had been, and had drifted away from him at about the same time, reacted really badly, generally freaking out, wondering loudly whether he could himself be confident of any aspect of his own character in light of this. He's a graphic artist, and has always been intensely creative and talented. He started speculating as to whether or not he really enjoyed creating art, in light of Michael's announcement, and proceeded to pout and get fairly drunk over the course of the evening.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HenryW
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for HenryW   Email HenryW         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on your friend's response I do not think you should discount homophobia - it is the first best answer. That being the case (note they put phobia in the word) some sort of professional help would probably be a good start. The end result may not be a complete eradication of the fear, but he should learn how to handle it.

Irrational responses to common issues can be dangerous - I hope he gets help or quickly manages to help himself.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
*pies Lalo*

Finding out that you have been lied to for years and that the world is not what you thought it was is very disturbing. Sexuality is at the center of much of our psychology, along with our parents. To dismiss his freaking out as, oh, deserving it because if he was sensitive he wouldn't mind, is sacrificing a human being to serve a political agenda.

It's like those families where the child grows up and finds out as an adult that the person he thought was his mother is his grandmother, and the person he thought was his sister is his mother. If the relationship is wonderful, it feels like a sham. How could they lie for so long? If the relationships are strained, it's one more nail in the coffin of trust and honesty.

Plus, sons, unconciously or not, model themselves after their fathers, or else choose to NOT. A radical change in a parent's identity means a questioning and a rediscovery of an individual's own identity.

In other words, no wonder he's freaking out. Can he talk to somebody?

[ January 08, 2004, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
*JH, why [pie] Lalo? (okay, now it's a pie, but still an ad hominem attack which gives your argument a frame that is less likely to influence those who do not already agree with you. Not that I've never done it, just a suggestion is all.)*

I never thought of Homophobia as a legitimate anxiety disorder before. Folks always talk about it as a moral flaw. If it is anxiety, it means the son has some kind of presently unconscious belief that he thinks is a general truth about the universe turning on him.

For instance, it could be that he thinks homosexuality is genetic (it does happen to be a favored hypothesis right now but I think it's supposed to be through the maternal line anyway). Or it could be that he is being confronted by every non-straight thought or experience he himself has had.

Whether it is over gayness or not, hating one of your parents is worth seeing a counselor about. I know I have a few times.

[ January 08, 2004, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I changed it to pieing because it seemed both more specific (where was I kicking him?) and more Hatrackian. Yes, it's exactly what it looks like. I threw a pie at him because I didn't like what he said.

And I did it because this is a human being who has just had some major assumptions turned upside down, and I felt that Lalo was saying it was his fault for being freaked out. If your family falls apart, and this is from experience, that is NOT to time to start beating yourself up for being hurt by it. It would probably be much more convenient for many people to pretend that it doesn't hurt anyone and if it does it is their fault, but you don't get to pick how someone emotionally reacts to something. Not even yourself.

[ January 08, 2004, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
See, but it doesn't sound like he's just now finding out that his family is "falling apart". He always knew his father was cheating on his mother, and in the context of the first post, didn't seem to be "flipping out" about it.

From the first post, it sounds like his only reason for getting so worked up and questioning his relationship with his father is simply what his father was having affairs with, not that his father was having affairs.

And to me, that does sound unreasonable and homophobic. If you're going to start believing that everything you knew about your father was a lie, let it be because he cheated on your mother. That's a far, far worse crime than being attracted to Plumbing A instead of Plumbing B.

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

ALR, it's a change and a shock. This isn't a dispassionate observation about a neighbor that's none of his business anyway; it's his father. If nothing else, he's been lied to and his parent's marriage was an utter sham.

Sexuality is part of identity, and your parents - your relationship with them and your indepence from them - is another big part of identity. Yes, finding his father is gay can easily rock a person's own identity.

It's inconvenient and unpolitical to have people be hurt after you've lied to them for years, I know, but you can't blame him for it.

In answer to the question, family is family, though. It's possible for him to come out of this and still talk to his father and be something of a family, but it might take a while and that's okay. He shouldn't be pushed at all or made to feel guilty for feeling betrayed. It's his father's job to be patient and understanding about the repercussions of his revelation. In other words, no, he shouldn't write off his dad, but he also shouldn't fake anything. There's been enough shamming.

[ January 08, 2004, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

pooka
Member # 5003

Even the Christian view on this is that the guy should still love his father. It may take some time to process. And loving someone doesn't always mean you can spend lots of time with them. My favorite line from "Finding Nemo" is "It's because I like you that I don't want to be with you. It's a complicated emotion."
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but everyone understands that Marlin really DOESN'T like Dorry, pooka. . .
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree with Javert on most of this -- it's a major shock this guy has to come to terms with -- I'm still going to pick on one line.

"If nothing else, he's been lied to and his parent's marriage was an utter sham."

He knew his parent's marriage was a sham already. His dad being gay shouldn't make it more of a sham. I'm not blaming him for his reaction, as you said he'll feel what he feels no matter what. I'm just wondering why it was a marriage when it was only serial infidelity and a sham only after he admitted he was gay.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

How about even more of a sham than he already thought?

[ January 08, 2004, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

BobbyK
Member # 5970

- posted      Profile for BobbyK   Email BobbyK         Edit/Delete Post 
This guy's world was already shaken by the splitting (I'm assuming) of his parents. That's reality warp one. It hardens people, makes them distrustful. (General statement alert. and a bit late)Already, foundation becomes air and everything becomes a question.
Warp 2, Dad's gay. I won't discount homophobia, but do doubt it. It's more than perfectly natural to be somewhat revolted at such a discovery. The fact the parent is gay is the face. Further betrayal(of self and mother from the admitting parent)is the motive for the "freaking out".

[Edit - Clarity]

[ January 08, 2004, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: BobbyK ]

Posts: 213 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobbyK
Member # 5970

- posted      Profile for BobbyK   Email BobbyK         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, advice. Support group, therapist, a family member he can trust(Mom?). This guy needs some support. You're a good friend.
Posts: 213 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Javert - fair enough. Gonna be a shock, no matter what, and even without homophobia involved it would be tough to immediately see it as anything other than another betrayal of his mother.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the support everyone. You all raised very legitimate points and I have incorporated many of your thoughts into my conversation with my friend this morning.

I helped him set up an appointment with my therapist this morning. (As Pooka pointed out, some of us already see therapists because we hate our parents for completely mundane reasons). I also asked him whether he was more upset at his father's sexuality or the fact that he now has to revisit his childhood memories of his father's infedelity. He said he was confused and angered by both aspects of the situation.

He was fairly young (a sophmore in High School) when his parents fought over his father's affairs. I think his family just suppressed that period of their lives and never really discussed it, until now. So he is shocked not only by his father's sexuality but also with the prospect of facing unresolved trust issues.

I don't think my friend is a homophobe. He has, however, lived a pretty sheltered life. His experience with gay people are limited to what he has seen on Will and Grace and MTV Real Life. Rationally he understands that just because his father is gay does not mean that he is too. However, he now evaluates all the problems he has with his girlfriend with the question, "am I just acting this way because I'm not straight?"

I told him that he was probably straight, but if he was gay, so what? I told him I loved him not because he is straight, but because he can quote the Silmarillion at will and yet he dares to make fun of people who dress up for LOTR line parties.

I think he deserves to hate his father based on what he has done but not because of what he is. However, that fine intellectual distinction is easier said than done, especially when you are dealing with a parent, someone you have based your entire identity on.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a really hard time making the jump from "I feel betrayed because my father was lying to me" to "I question my own relationship because my father was lying to me." I can easily see "I feel extremely upset and betrayed by my father's lies, and I question my relationship with him and his relationship with my mother because of it" pretty much regardless of what the lies are about. I suppose if the lies were "My parents have a happy marriage" I might be able to see that causing a person to say "The relationship I hold as my model for all relationships is a lie, what does that mean about my own relationship with my girlfriend/fiancee/wife?" But if a person has already come to terms with the fact that his parents' marriage is a sham, I don't see why that person should then jump to such a question if he is a confident heterosexual with no homophobic tendencies.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Hmm....

It doesn't sound like he'd come to terms with what happened before, though.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Take into account that he's had times to come to terms with the affairs. Maybe he freaked out about them then?

I have a hard time condemning people for initial reactions to something shocking. See how he reacts once he has time to come to grips with it.

In the meantime, the suggestions for counseling seem like good ones. Parental stuff is always hard.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

"I have a hard time condemning people for initial reactions to something shocking. See how he reacts once he has time to come to grips with it."

Very good point.

odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
At least his dad stuck with his family through all these years instead of being like

"Well sorry honey, i know we've got all these kinds together and stuff, but Im a homosexual and am gonna abandon my responsibilities for a hot trick named Tim."

But at the same time, I have a good friend who was married and has two children and came out of the closet two years ago, but he NEVER cheated on his wife.

As far as you friend not ending up hating his dad, well, the same rule for people having privacy in their bedrooms applies to the inside of people's heads. Even if he puts on an outward appearance of preserving a relationship with his father, that doesnt mean that he wont resent him silently. Then again, maybe he wont. But youll never truly know.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Yes. And it's easy to sit back and make assumptions from where we are, without knowing the details of the situation or history. I do hope things turn out alright for your friend, Beren.

[Edit: This was meant to be in response to Dagonee.]

[ January 08, 2004, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Beren, it's already been said you're a good friend but it bears repeating. I think the suggestion to set up an appointment with your counselor was excellent.

From personal experience, we had something happen to us recently regarding my father that shocked us to the core. We found out he had stolen thousands of dollars from us in the brief time he was "helping" my husband in his business and had access to the bank accounts.

Not only was I completely devastated by this betrayal, but I immediately began reliving all the things he had done to me in the past, specifically verbal and physical abuse. For years I'd just tucked that away, pretended like it never happened and carried on a normal parent/adult child relationship.

Your friend is probably going through exactly that. This shock has triggered the memories of everything he's suppressed. He will need some professional help and I'm so relieved he'll be getting some.

I've been in therapy for over a year, and still struggling with all this. He'll need the support of his friends for quite a while.

As for why he is questioning his relationship, Javert mentioned that boys grow up patterning their behavior after their dads - that's perfectly normal. Learning his Dad's identity is not what he thought it was will lead to him questioning his own. A good therapist will help him sort all this out.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs belle*
*hugs beren*

Belle is wise!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
saxon75 said:
Yes. And it's easy to sit back and make assumptions from where we are, without knowing the details of the situation or history. I do hope things turn out alright for your friend, Beren.

[Edit: This was meant to be in response to Dagonee.]

*blinks*
*looks for an assumption he made*
*sees a question, not an assumption*
*wonders what the hell saxon75 is talking about*

The timeframe issue is relevant regardless of the situation as it occurred before.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

When I said "we" I was referring to all of the people speculating on whether or not Beren's friend is homophobic. That is, as opposed to you. Perhaps "assumptions" was the wrong word as well. My point was that we don't really know what's going on now or what went on before or much about any of the people involved, and making armchair psychological evaluations of a person we don't know seems at the least a bit hasty and insensitive. The "Yes" was the only part specifically directed at you, intended to agree with your statement:
quote:
I have a hard time condemning people for initial reactions to something shocking. See how he reacts once he has time to come to grips with it.
I apologize for being unclear.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks for the explanation. My response contained leftover aggression from a nasty talk with my lawyer about some B.S. Sorry.

Dagonee

pooka
Member # 5003

A general question: Does homophobic imply latently homosexual?

About Marlin and Dorry, I don't think it can be assumed that he doesn't like her. This is after the shark meeting, her retrieval of the mask from Bruce, her helping him to go down the chasm after the mask, and of course reading the mask. It's true he is trying to get away from her, but endangers himself to save her shortly thereafter. He may not know he likes her. I grant you that. Edit: the role of dorry was originally supposed to be voiced by a man [Wink]

[ January 08, 2004, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

quote:
Does homophobic imply latently homosexual?
No. And in its common usage today, it doesn't even imply a phobia.
saxon75
Member # 4589

You know, I heard of a study that showed a correlation between extreme anti-homosexual tendencies and latent homosexuality. Supposedly they presented a bunch of subjects with homosexual images and measured the degree of arousal produced, and the ones that became the most aroused were the ones who were the most vocally against homosexuality.

Unfortunately, I got all of this second-hand, so I can't link it, and, if this was a real and well-conducted study, I don't know whether any refutations exist.

[Edit: It's also important to reiterate that correlation does not imply causation.]

[ January 08, 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Ie homophobia:

I had a drama professor who said, "There are two reasons why a person would be upset about homosexuals. Either the homosexuals were hitting on them too much, or they were'nt hitting on them enough."

This strange man had a witty remark for every occasion. I took three different courses with him. By the end of the third I had written down all his amusing sayings and ancedotes. I numbered them. My notes were just a list of those numbers matching the same old stories he told us that day.

As far as your friend... There is a woman at work who went through a similar revelation many years ago. When she talks of it (and she loves to tell people her problems, but rarely talks of this), she is still obviously uncomfortable with it, though she has regained the relationship with her father.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I had always thought it was a general term for people who react negatively to the subject of homosexuality. Certainly it can be a focus of obsessive compulsive behavior (such as the character in "As Good as it Gets"). It just seems that when some people use it, they mean that the homophobe is a homosexual in denial. Note "seems".
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Yeah, that is often the implication. It's a not-so-subtle of insulting people. As in, "You disagree because you secretly want it and are scared to admit it." It's a put down.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well that would raise the question (at least it would to me anyways) does arousal to homosexual images really mean you're more hoosexual then someone who isn't aroused?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

That question doesn't strike you as even a little bit ridiculous?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I've never used homophobic to mean someone who doesn't like homosexuality. I've always used homophobic, when I've used it, to mean someone who hates homosexuality without reason. -phobia, to me, always suggests irrational fear.

Not everyone who disapproves/condemns homosexuality is homophobic, and not all homophobes are secretly gay.

pooka
Member # 5003

What I getting from hatrack is that homophobia is an ambiguous term. Though it seems that if it is irrational, depending on how you read irrational, it doesn't make sense to judge someone as evil based on that. I mean irrational in the sense that one does not immediately know why one feels that way. Of course, some people call irrational those who choose not to analyze why they might feel a certain way.
saxon75
Member # 4589

Out of curiosity, what is the difference, in your mind, between one who irrationally condemns homosexuality and one who does so rationally? That is, could you give an example of the differences in their motivations?

[Edit: That was to Chris.]

[ January 08, 2004, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
A phobia is an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation. Using homophobia to describe every negative reaction to homosexuality is engaging in hyperbole.

Because of the way many people in the gay movement use the term "homophobia" the term has become little more than a epitet. I think it hurts the movement to protect the rights of gay people when gays so show little tolerance for anyone who disapproves of their lifestyle for any reason. You can't build a tolerant and accepting society by slingin epitets at everyone who disagrees with you.

I think that your friends reaction is pretty normal for a person who has just found out that one of their parents lead a secret life. It would probably held your friend to talk about his feelings and why he is so upset. The talking alone might help him to work through the problem. If he won't talk with you or you don't feel comfortable asking him hard questions, encourage him to go see a counsellor or a clergy member.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
That question doesn't strike you as even a little bit ridiculous?
Well I guess it was phrased a bit ridiculously. The question should've been: if you've gotten married, had children and kept faithful to your spouse, does arousal to homosexual images make you homosexual, or has your life's choices defined you as straight whatever your body has to say?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

I see. So what you're really asking is whether homosexuality is something that you are or only something that you do.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's worth remembering that hatred does not equate fear.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
This gets to the question of "what is Homosexuality." If its a sin/crime/act then no matter what you are attracted to, as long as you don't act on that attraction, you are straight. If it is an inborn desire, genetic or environmental imperative, then you are living a total lie, (lieing is also a sin)and you are homosexual. Of course, this all belongs in another thread.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Pretty much Saxon, yes. My answer would be something you do, but of course I'm not short-sited enough to think that makes it true.

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
If it is an inborn desire, genetic or environmental imperative, then you are living a total lie, (lieing is also a sin)and you are homosexual.
I don't think that's true at all, I mean humans have evolved as very good killing machines, that's how we survive. Is nnot slaughtering someone we're ticked at when that is our body's urge living a lie? (Note: I'm not equating homosexuality to murder so don't even think it. [Wink] )

OK, you're right, this belongs in another thread, I'll drop it. I promise. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend told me that 10% of people are gay, 10% are straight, and 80% are bisexual. She is bi, so this might just be really biased, but if this is true, how would you answer Hobbes' question?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Short-sited is when your Web site scrolls from side to side instead of up and down.

It's great for art sites, to show the works as in a gallery.

------

I agree with blackwolve's friend that sexual attraction is a gradient and not a black and white issue.

[ January 08, 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

It does bear repeating Beren, you are being a really good friend here. Advising a therapist is a good idea certainly, and I think really just being there and listening to whatever he says will go along way to help him realize his realtioinships with everyone aren't changed by this, only his father's.

[EDIT: Kat, when are you going to write your landmark so we can start seeing your normal sn ove your posts? [Wink] ]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ January 08, 2004, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.