FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Christmas in Hell (A Self-Pity Thread)

Author Topic: My Christmas in Hell (A Self-Pity Thread)
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
My vacation began December 19. On this day, Cor came down with a migraine. Cor often suffers from migraines, but never before one like this one.

These were actually "cluster-migraines."

They haven't ended yet.

She suffered through it while we cleaned house in anticipation of her parents' visit for the holidays. Actually, mostly I cleaned, and we didn't get done as much as we had wished.

She suffered through it all through their visit, from the 22nd to the 26th.

We went to the doctor on December 23rd, and the emergency room on December 26, 27, 29, and 31. On the 31st we switched HMO doctors, because ours would not admit her to the hospital. She stayed in the hospital for three nights.

When it comes to migraines, it's clear that doctors don't know what the heck they're doing. They try one medication, and then they try another, but it's all guesswork.

Through the past three weeks, at home I've done my best to do everything, and pretty much neglected all things evenly. Each time I took Cor to the hospital, I had my father come watch the girls for us. Finally, I just asked him to take them for a few days, because it was practically a daily thing. After she got out of the hospital, I proposed that we spend several nights in a hotel, so that somebody else could clean and prepare meals, while I did the schoolwork I had been neglecting all through the holidays--grading finals and stuff. And so I just picked up the girls last night, having not seen them for a good week or so.

Cor went to school in a wheel chair during the two teacher work days prior to the students' return, since we simply don't have the sick days to burn. I brought her in, set her up, and then went on to my own job. Today she is at home, as she was yesterday, and she'll probably stay home tomorrow. I had to get the girls ready for school this morning without help, take Banana to school, and drop off Cor's substitute lesson plans. Banana fell while walking in and scraped both of her knees, so I had to pit stop at the nurse's office for wound-cleansing and Band-Aids. I was a good twenty-five minutes late to work. On the way home, I'll have to stop by to pick up any papers that were collected by the sub.

[This is not a Mr. Mom story here. I am far from incompetent around the house or with my kids. The difficulty is not that I'm used to having a woman serve me, but that we normally split the chores, since we both work, but now I'm having to juggle it all, and also being a nurse.]

My goodness, what a self-indulgent post . . . clearly, Cor has done the bulk fo the suffering here, so why the self-pity? Well, I'm certainly not comparing my suffering to hers, but dangit, everyone makes sympathetic sounds when they hear that she's had this headache for three weeks. It never occurs to anyone that I lost my vacation, or that the last three weeks have been awful for me!

Anyway, hope the self-pity doesn't offend you, but heck, I warned you. Why did you click on the thread if it would? [Razz]

Actually, what I really wanted to say is that there are several threads I have missed, like landmarks from special people, and I wanted people to know it was not because I didn't care or have anything to say, but because I haven't had time to be online. Hopefully soon I'll go digging through and resurrect some of them. [Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, you have my sincere prayers. I DO hope they figure out the cause of Cor's pain and she can get some relief soon!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Cor)))
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a brave boy, Icky [Smile]

*hugs*

[Kiss]

I hope you all feel much better soon.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs Icarus* Oh, that's horrid. I wish I could help. I'm sorry about the sick days.

And poor Cor!

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts and prayers go out to Cor and the girls. Those poor, poor girls having you take care of them. Make sure you feed them something once in a while and Dragon Stout is not appropriate for another year or two. [Razz]

You do have my sympathy. Cor must be miserable, but it's not a cakewalk for you either.

Kristine used to get migraines before I met her. She's told me before that she had good luck using bio-feedback techniques.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
You are a man in desparate need of hard alcohol and a back rub.

(though Cor still gets a big, but delicate hug from me.)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
As a fellow migraine sufferer spouse, you have my unbridled pity. Especially the part about all the sympathy going to her and all that.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. I used to get migraines all the time when I was a kid. I never understood why medicine didn't seem to help any.

I do hope things get better soon; it's no fun for anyone involved.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've taken care of a friend that had chronic migranes, and that was no cakewalk. I can imagine that it would be all the worse having the responsibilities of a parent and teacher on top of that. Sorry you're having to go through this. Also sorry that Cor is having to experience the migranes.

Have they done any MRIs? I ask because my cousin recently started experiencing really hidious migranes, and an MRI revealed a non-cancerous tumor in her pituitary gland that they think is causing the trouble. She's young--22--so while she has grown an inch in the last little while, she hasn't been as badly effected by this as she would if she were past the age at which her body was capable of vertical growth. It's extremely unlikely that this is what Cor would be dealing with, but if they haven't found anything else it'd be worth checking out.

I hope your insurance is covinging the bulk of the costs for Cor's ER and hospital visits.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabithecat
Member # 5228

- posted      Profile for tabithecat   Email tabithecat         Edit/Delete Post 
the same thing happened to my mother a few years ago and it turned out to be an aneurysm. you might want to make sure that all the medical avenues are being considered. of course I don't know too much and I'm certainly not an MD but your story had an aerie ring to it for me. and I understand exactly where your coming from. I had to quit my job to help take care of my than 2 year old brother. if you need to commiserate feel free to e-mail me, not that you know me from Adam but I just wanted to make the offer. I will keep you and yours in my thoughts, as it is a very frightening thing to be going thru. I wish I could do more for you.
Posts: 122 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Icarus)))

Dude, here's hopin' you and Cor get a much-needed BREAK from migraines and work.

*sends well-wishes*

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to the both of you! I'm sorry about your hellish break. ((Icarus and Cor))

I had a migraine once during finals and went in to the hospital where they accused me of being a drug addict, gave me a $900 MRI and then lectured me on lifestyle and stress before giving me a shot of aspirin and sending me home. It was one of the more humiliating and maddening experiences of my life.

Hope she recovers soon!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Ick and Cor)))
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I hope everyone gets better and you guys get some real vacation next time. (((Icky and Cor)))

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I had noticed you hadn't been posting, but I assumed you were busy with good things.

I'm so sorry you and your family are having such a wretched time. I hope things improve toot sweet!

(((((Ic&Cor&Banana&Mango)))))

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry. When I had Viral Meningitis they thought it was a migraine at first. I have never had such awful pain in all my life. I sure hope she feels better soon. [Frown]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
((Icky))

((Cor))

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] *hugs*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Icarus,Cor,and family)))
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst] Yikes, guys...

[Frown] (((((Icky))))))

((((((Cor))))))

((((((The Chiddins))))))

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tonatiuh
Member # 6052

- posted      Profile for Tonatiuh   Email Tonatiuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I suffer from migranes and hav almost all my life and your right doctors are almost clueless ive had 2 mri's and nothing showed up and they suggestedv allergys or stress but it doesnt seem to be connected to either and when I get sick with em I really feel bad for the people who have to take care of me because I have uncontrollable vomiting [Angst]
Posts: 18 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Icky, I'm sorry. [Frown] That's hard and awful and disappointing. I wish you and Cor could have checked into a hotel for happier reasons. I wish your holiday season had been trouble-free. I wish you had a housekeeper that worked for peanuts and cheerfully helped you and Cor out. I wish I could give you the tenderest of hugs.

Migraines are mysterious and maddening. I send my hugs to you and Cor and the Fruit Sisters.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Thanks, guys.

[Smile]

She seems to be a bit better today. Not perfect, but liveable. She'll still take tomorrow off, but she'll try to be back at work by Monday. The doctor originally told her to take 10 days off, but that's absurd. (Er, I'm repeating myself, aren't I? [Embarrassed] )

I've decided to take tomorrow off myself as a mental sanity day. I'm at work now trying to invent substitute plans. The only place that'll be hard is statistics, since we don't have a textbook. [Grumble]

She had a CT scan, and then she had a spinal tap. Neither showed up anything, but she turned out to be in that lucky one percent of people (apparently) who react to spinal taps by getting worse headaches. [Wall Bash] She also had an MRI. Nothing turned up anything, which is a good thing, because it means that, while excruciating, this is not apparently life-threatening.

Anyway, thanks again for all the kind thoughts and words. (((Hatrack))) [Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
We've missed you. I'm sorry that your break was so exhausting.

I suffer from migraines, but I've never had to deal with one for more than 2 days. I would probably be dead if I were your wife.

I would also probably be dead if I were you. You guys are made of tough stuff and I'm impressed at all that you've managed to do. Hang in there and remember that we love you!! (((Ick and Cor)))

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
On Ick - I am sorry. Big hugs to you and your family. We've missed you around here (and not just 'cause of landmarks! [Big Grin] )

(((((Icarus, Cor and Kids))))

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Migraines used to be a sign of Godliness or incipient sainthood.

Of course, those people also tended to become cloistered monks & nuns.

I hope Cor gets better soon and that episode isn't repeated.

I hope you get some rest.

Next holiday come to Texas. This kind of thing never happens in Texas.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, really, Bob?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks rivka. Now they'll never visit! [Wall Bash] [Grumble] [Cry]
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*pat pat* So sell them on a genuinely good feature of Texas.

There's . . . umm . . .

Well, there's you! And kat! And I know there are other Texan Jatraqueros that are escaping my sieve-like mind.

And I'm sure there must be other appealing aspects. [Wink]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
yikes! Hugs to all of you.

People who take care of sick spouses should get extra-credit points. Not that it's really extra, I suppose -- "in sickness and in health" and all -- but it isn't fair that the sick one gets all the sympathy. *Extra hugs for Ick*

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm so sorry, Icky and Cor both! Migraines are really horrible. I remember the first time I had one that lasted over a day and I nearly gave up right then. I can't even imagine having one last for so long as Cor's have!

It always amazes me that anything can hurt that badly and not indicate something so bad going wrong inside your head that it would be immediately obvious on an MRI or even a CT scan. I've never had either done on me.

I had a two-day one this week that was really severe, and I was all feeling sorry for me. (It was the kind with lots of vomiting, which I usually don't get. I really hate that cause you can't take any medicine.) I didn't realize I was getting off so easily. You poor things! <<<<<Cor>>>>>> <<<<<<<Icky>>>>>>>

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Anne Kate, I had no idea! I'm glad that yours weren't as prolonged as Cor's, but that doesn't mean that yours were a cakewalk. You can always find someone suffering worse than you are, but that doesn't invalidate your experience.

((ak))

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Icarus))) (((Cor)))
Migraines are such pain in the a** ! I hope Cor will get better soo. Extra hugs for both of you and the children. [Group Hug]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope things are better... how are y'all doing?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Once again, thanks everyone for all the support. Cor is not completely over it, but she is, let's say, 90% better. We were able to have a nice mental sanity day on Friday, and a nice anniversary outing on Saturday night. Tomorrow we will both return to work.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Good to hear! I wish the news was 100% better, but I'm sure even 90% is a blessing compared to the past week.

Happy Anniversary!

Noemon
Member # 1115

Now would be a good time to test out the whole "retroactive prayer" thing. Lets all pray that Cor never had these migranes to begin with. If it works, we'll all pray for Mooselet's never having been sick either.
zgator
Member # 3833

Maybe we should start smaller. Has anyone gotten a papercut recently?

On a slightly different note, did you ever find the Dragon Stout you were looking for Joe?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
But if it works, how will we know it worked? If it never happened, Icarus will never post this thread.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Does that mean that we know that it didn't work? The thread is still here.
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
*Sympathizes with the self pitier*
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
But if it never happened, wouldn't that affect your actions afterwards, which would cause chain reactions that would have their own chain reactions? (Sorry, I just read Pastwatch for the first time and am currently re-reading it.)
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
Sorry, I just read Pastwatch for the first time and am currently re-reading it
How can you be sure of either assertion?

I just said a retroactive prayer and suddenly Hatrack was born!!!

Oh wait, someone else must've just prayed for more smilies!!!!

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
But what if what actually happened took into account your retroactive prayers, and since it was ameliorated a great deal by them, you didn't end up praying about that thing after all, so it would go ahead and be much worse? Do hypothetical retroactive prayers that don't actually end up being prayed because of how effective they were have any effect?

Those are all time-ist questions. People outside of time don't worry about stuff like that. Just pray. [Smile]

[ January 13, 2004, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

o_O

Freaking weird derailment.

No, never found the Dragon Stout.

Oh, and Cor still had the migraines.

>_<

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.