FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Textbook Loaner Club...

Author Topic: Hatrack Textbook Loaner Club...
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I will post a list here of the college textbooks I own and am willing to loan out in the near future. If I have one you need, you can send me enough money to cover shipping (probably less than $5, but I'll check) and promise to send it back when you're done with it.

Others can post their own lists here too. You get to use textbooks at a fraction of the cost of buying one, and I get to help another sutdent save some money. What do you guys think?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a cool idea. Unfortunately all my college textbooks are at home in bookcases.

Though one day, when I actually have access to all the books I call mine, I'd be willing to give some away to people who might be interested.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(loves Boon to pieces) I am so for this idea...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fooglmog
Member # 6088

- posted      Profile for Fooglmog   Email Fooglmog         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the odds of actually finding someone with the textbooks you need are somewhat remote, unless you get atleast a few thousand people also doing this. But it's a cool idea, and ya never know, someone might get lucky...

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no. The common textbooks for college classes overlap greatly.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
*points at fugu* What he said. And I have a story about that.

So one day Mike (my brother, for those who don't know) was on the phone with a friend of ours who lived in New York at the time. There was a lull in the conversation and Mike just began reading titles of books on the shelf in front of him, which was in my parents' bedroom. There were some of Dad's textbooks from college, so Mike read, "Organic Chemistry, Edwards, Second Edition." Well, our friend Dan, who was in his dad's study, happened to be looking at a book with the exact same title. So he responded by reading the title of the book immediately to its left: "Principles of Analytic Geometry." And, yes, you guessed it, that's what was right next to the first book on OUR dad's bookshelf. Whooo! I love coincidences like that.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be willing to do this, if anyone who borrows from my understands that I'm willing to hunt them down personally if the book isn't returned. [Wink] I never sell back any of mine, so I have more than I know what to do with.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto with Jeni, I'll be able to post what I have in a week when I get back to school. Though, I haven't really had many actual textbooks yet.
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just a freshman, so I have very few actual textbooks... The only one that would possibly be of any use is my precalculus textbook, but it's in bad shape... Cover falling off and all that. But if anyone doesn't mind, here are the specs:

Precalculus
Enhanced with Graphing Utilities
by Michael Sullivan and Michael Sullivan, III
Prentice Hall

Apparently it was published this last year... [Dont Know] It must have some crappy binding to be in such terrible shape already!!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Are textbooks from 5-10 years ago going to be at all helpful? I know there are almost certainly new editions of 'em, but the old ones are usually very similar (except for the page numbers! [Razz] ). I have lots of physics, calculus, and chemistry textbooks. And maybe some others . . . [Dont Know]

But you can't have any of my literature/poetry books! I need them! [Angst]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be up for this. There are some textbooks that you'll never part me with, like my Technical Mathmatics book or any O'Reilly book I ever manage to get my hands on (legitimately bought or stolen).

When I get back to school, I'll post a list of books I need and books I have.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't find what you need here, I'd suggest Amazon Marketplace. I just got a textbook there for five or six dollars, including shipping. [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
The real problem we've had with that Miro, is when my son needs his college textbooks, they give him the list of titles for each classes' textbooks like the Thursday prior to the Monday of the semester starting. Not enough time to order from Amazon sellers and get it here for class.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Correlle and I sold back all our textbooks that we KNOW we won't need for next semester, and she loaned me her Antropology book (since I'll be taking the same course next semester), and when I sell it back, I'm giving her all the cash.

Maybe Toretha'll let me borrow her religion book... Oh, Anna...

Great idea! [Hail] Maybe we'll see if y'all have any that I need.

[ January 12, 2004, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I started keeping all my textbooks, and marking them up with notes and stuff, sticky tabs for important pages, etc. The amount of money you can get back from used textbooks is so tiny and the value of having the books as reference is quite high. It is far easier to look up something in a book with which you are familiar, and in which you have made notes. So I would be loathe to let any of mine out of my hands, under any circumstances.

I'm the same way about product catalogs, in my engineering work. I never get rid of my old ones, as every product I ever bought is marked in its respective catalog, and tabbed for ease of reference, with copious notes explaining finer points of product selection, or making it clear if there is something else that needs to be bought along with the items in question. It is so much quicker to figure out what you want to choose when you do this. It takes a lot of time reading and sorting through all your options on the first go round, but afterwards you know you want something fairly close to what you got before, if not exactly the same. So marked up books are priceless.

Buy your books, people! Keep them forever! Make notes in the margins! Underline things! Add sticky tabs to important pages! Ignore the wrongheaded training of a lifetime of librarians. Just think where we'd be if Fermat had listened to them! Books are living breathing works of art. Make them yours. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay, I've reviving this thread after just paying $400 for my son's spring semester textbooks (and that is a GOOD semester -- two of his last semester books are carry-overs that he didn't have to buy for-- Organic Chemistry 2 and Physics 2).

But does anyone have Interpersonal Conflict, sixth edition; Wilmot & Hocker? I can't believe this flimsy little paperback less than an inch thick is $55.00 used!

Also Fundamentals of Microbiology, sixth edition, Alcamo (hardback) if I can get it cheaper anywhere.

Yes, I'm looking on ebay as well.

I will try to post up the titles of his last few semester textbooks to see if any of you need them (to loan -- he would never part with any book long-term).

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

I've just spent over three hundered dollars. And it's only for two of my four classes. One class had ELEVEN books! It's so depressing.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Which ones do you need, Jeni? If we have them, we will loan them....

I figure if I can buy them off internet used sources, then we still have until Feb 3 to return the ones we bought at the bookstore for full price.

Already found the microbiology text online about 40 bucks cheaper....

FG

Jeni
Member # 1454

I actually prefer to buy and keep my books, particularly those from classes in my major. I find they come in handy later. But thanks [Smile] I just like to whine about it once in a while.

Though that wouldn't stop me from loaning them out to others. I don't have many actual textbooks, but a lot of regular books that were assigned. I'll try to make a list within the next couple days if people are interested.

[ January 20, 2004, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.