FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guess the Author Game II -- Round Seven (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Guess the Author Game II -- Round Seven
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Belladonnaorchid?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Since there's a new page I'll put up a new already guessed list:

Already guessed and no-ed:

Ryuko
Icarus
Teshi
saxon75
enjeeo
ScottR
Brinestone
Irami
Annie
Julie
imogen
Jaiden
twinky
Chris Bridges
afr
Celia
Jenny Gardener
Jeniwren
BelladonnaOrchid
Ethics Gradient (my guess)
Rivka
Bob_Scopatz
eslaine
katharina
Belle
TomDavidson
Tristan
BananaOj
Gottmorder
Strider
Ludosti
Sopwith
Dragon
Papa Moose

Guessed but not confirmed:

beatnix19
dkw
Dante

(Since I got through the trouble of reposting the list, I think I deserve a new guess...)

[ January 15, 2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Tristan ]

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Nope and nope.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka????
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

Bob_Scopatz????
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Irami, thanks for the compliment even though this isn't me.

I'll guess eslaine because someone said it had a feminine flavor.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Reasons, people, you're supposed to give reasons for your guesses.

No to all.

celia60
Member # 2039

I did give a reason! [Wink]

And now I'll go back to yesterday's selection method: random.

kat

Do I need to justify that? Um, this is someone who knows what they're doing.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Celia, I wasn't including you in "people."

Not kat.

celia60
Member # 2039

Right, right. I sometimes forget my goddess status when I'm frolicing with these mere mortals.

Tom? I'm just going to continue to not guess Jon Boy because I'd hate to think I said anything nice about him.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, please. [Roll Eyes] We all know you're infatuated with him.

Oh, and Tristan, I guessed Belle and got a no. You might want to add her to the list.

And I'll guess Tristan because she (he?) seems more involved in this round than in previous ones.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

BananaOJ

reason: I'm guessing at random.

Is that reason enough?

dkw
Member # 3264

And to think I had a momentary pang of worry that I was being too mean to Celia.

[Laugh] self.

No to all.

celia60
Member # 2039

Darn, my secret's out! Good detective work, dear. Have an apple.

Gottmorder because I made a random person pick a number and that's who it was.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but I don't take food from evil strangers.

I guess Strider because I remember he was a pretty good writer back when we both were on the YWF.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Stranger? After all we’ve been to each other and all we’ve done for each other, you address me as stranger?

I can still feel the weight of your head in my lap as the early morning light broke through the curtains and spilled across the floor after that night we both spent crying. But I suppose that was a long time ago.

Life passes by so quickly when you’re not looking, and one morning I woke up to find myself a stranger to me. I just never thought I’d be one to you.

dkw
Member # 3264

Celia, you're supposed to be sending the fiction to me. If you post it under your own sn it kind of misses the point.
dkw
Member # 3264

Oh, and no and no.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Once, celia, once that was you and once that was me. What with all the choices you've made recently, all the changes you've gone through, I just don't feel like I know you anymore. I can't trust you anymore. I don't think we'll ever return to that beautiful place, so I suggest you move on with your life as I—*sob*—have moved on with mine.

Oh, and I guess ludosti.

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the best piece we've had so far this round. I love the bit about Hannah and the way her shoes barely touched the floor. I disagree with the few people who complained that the "two years ago, now?" line is confusing. I read it just fine.

Hmm... can't really think of anything I don't like about this.. besides maybe wishing there was more of it. [Wink]

We're running awful low on guesses here... I'll go with Sopwith.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
It could have been a guy.

I'll guess NorthwesternSmith.

Oh, wait, he's not on the list... [Razz]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragon

Dragons are very symbolic in Chinese culture. This is about a Japanese family. SO... since the two are completely different my rational has no strength what so ever but I like dragons so dragon is my guess.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

People on the list no one has guessed yet:

Sarahdipidy
JaneX
sndrake
Jon Boy
Christy
T_Smith
Dan_raven
Leonide
Teshi
:Locke
Tresopax
mackillian
Troubadour
Nick

I'm guessing Papa Moose because of the many semi-colons. I don't think Papa Moose usually use many semi-colons, but if I don't have a reason dkw will yet at me again. Besides, there aren't THAT many semi-colons in this piece anyway.

[ January 15, 2004, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Tristan ]

dkw
Member # 3264

::yets at Tristan::

<---Not sure what she just did, hopes it isn't indecent.

No to all.

Tristan
Member # 1670

The strangest mis-spelling of "yell" I have ever been guilty of.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I'm guessing beatnix because of the guess he just made.
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing dkw because I would try to sneek my own in at sometime if I was running this. Plus she's easy to overlook being in charge and all.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

I will sneak in a last guess before I consider myself a guess-oholic and abstain for the rest of this round.

Dante.

A major (or even Doctor?) in literature, he should be able to write something good, shouldn't he? Besides he has a foreign connection with his Italian thing, which isn't that far off from Japanese...

dkw
Member # 3264

Ding ding ding! [Smile]

It's Dante.

Tristan
Member # 1670

Yay!

Persistance pays off...

Brinestone
Member # 5755

I actually thought of him, but I haven't seen him around in so long that I didn't think he'd submitted anything. Doh!
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here, Brinestone.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
So, Dante, is there more to this? And what was the inspiration behind writing about Japanese internees?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I want more as well, Dante! It's really interesting so far!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
I submitted this excerpt a few months ago when it was hot off the presses as the first few paragraphs of the first draft of a story. Since then, I've had it workshopped, worked through a few more drafts, and put it away for a while to incubate before dusting it off and finishing it up (which I'll do soon). Consequently, it was really fun to see it here and read your comments!

saxon, your analysis of the story was dead on, and it was a relief to see that it was making sense (though the setting becomes more obvious as the story continues, of course). I'm very glad that the beginning (at least) rings true to you--I did of a lot of research to make it feel right (including a fascinating 1954 BYU linguistics master's thesis on English speech patterns of Japanese internees!).

Why the topic? Well, several reasons. I've always been interested in and disturbed by the Japanese concentration camps, and as a native Utahan I felt a certain connection to the Topaz camp (where this story takes place). So the idea has been rattling around in my mind for four or five years, waiting to coalesce. The fact that my SO is a quarter Japanese and had relatives interned (and, I believe, in the 442nd) was another bonus.

And the reason I submitted this piece to the Guess the Author Game was because I knew I could stump some people. I mean, really, how many of you would associate me with a story from the POV of a ten-year-old Japanese girl? We all know I'm much too curmudgeonly and Eurocentric for that! <grin>

Which reminds me--why did several of you feel this was a female writer? I'm not offended at all, just curious.

Thanks for your comments and reactions, everyone; it was fun!

[ January 15, 2004, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Dante ]

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think it sounded female at all, Dante, for what it's worth. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, good, Tom. 'Cause I'm ALL man, despite what anyone may have heard...
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Family theme, protagonist appears to be a young female, ideolized patriarch. . . shouts orthodox, intelligent female to me.

[Big Grin]

Che bello vederti, Dante.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

How does this thread keep getting bumped to the top without a new post in it?

I swear, it came up as the 2nd most recently posted-to thread and the post at the end was from January 15th.

Weird, man!!!

dkw
Member # 3264

Somebody bumped it and then deleted their post, so as to give me a not-so-subtle hint to post the next round without making it obvious they were the one doing it.

Or maybe it wasn’t really bumped, and Bob bumped it and invented the story about it being mysteriously at the top so I’d think someone else bumped it and deleted their post.

Or perhaps there’s an even more sinister conspiracy afoot.

<---- has been reading British mystery novels.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Ah, the secret bump! I'm so impressed.

[Big Grin]

So, how about that next round?

Maybe we could do The Round of the Baskervilles
in honor of your fascination with British mysteries.

[Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
They're called 'ghost bumps' and I know one Jatraquero who makes them an art . . .

*eyes said person suspiciously*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
:squint-eyed graemlin:
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs* Would that be a protestation of innocence? a "you can't prove nuthin'!"? or maybe just returning the look?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.