FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Suggestions for heating a large room?

Author Topic: Suggestions for heating a large room?
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike and I are on the "Space Committee" for the Providence Circus School. We're researching renting a spot for the School to use for classes and such. Specifically, we're looking at Mill building spaces, there are dozens of them being renovated in the area.

One of the spots looks good, except the realtor says that the heat is only turned on during business hours. I was wondering if you guys had good ideas on the best (quick, cheap, thorough) ways to heat it.

Our space will likely be in the 1500 square feet range (give or take 300 square feet) and between 15-20 foot ceilings. The dimensions will likely be 1:2 for the floor.

I called a few Heating Companies, and one suggested a hot air furnace, but another suggested propane heaters. I don't know a lot about either solution. Hot air furnaces are more expensive and installed, while propane heaters are portable but require propane tanks (which would need to be filled periodically). The expectation is that we'd be using the space on the weekend and some weekday nights, perhaps about 10 hours on the weekend (so warming up from ambient temperature), and 10 hours during the week (warming up after business hours).

One guy mentioned that even though the realtor said we wouldn't be getting heat, we'd have to be getting some baseline heat so the pipes wouldn't freeze. We'll be visiting at night to check out how it feels.

Edit: PS. I apologize for my perhaps-annoying habit of making a new paragraph every two sentences or so. It looks so much longer in this little window!

[ January 23, 2004, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Suneun ]

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
Kerosene torpedo heaters. 110,000 BTU version. A bit noisy but would heat it up quick and are economical.
Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I was also thinking kerosene or propane space heaters would be WAY too noisy.

School - is this a space for kids? (I'm not clear on what you are doing with this space). If there will be young ones, you want to make sure you have something that will be safe around them -- not something they could burn themselves on. (I'm being obvious, I guess).

I don't know what ages circus school teaches...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Farmgirl: Yeah, it's usually young kids, 10-16. We could put a cage around the heating system. I'm not sure how big of a problem noise would be. If it's not so loud that we have to shout to be heard, then that's not bad.

Isn't there a problem with toxic fumes or smelly fumes?

[ January 23, 2004, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Suneun ]

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Come up with a list of requirements as to noise, heating, and such.

Take bids from the HVAC companies.

Evaluate bids.

(this process is likely required if its a public school, actually).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

fugu, we'll do that if it comes down to actually installing a true system. But the more likely solution will be separate units like the torpedo suggested. Unfortunately, none of us have any experience in the field, so we're really trying to see what our options are. Having a whirring noise in the background is probably okay, but having to shout is not. Questionable by-products are a no-no.

I've been looking around. It seems that Radiant heat isn't appropriate. Some people say that the torpedo heaters can smell and be fairly noisy (though I don't know how noisy). I'm concerned that filling the tanks will be a burden. Space heaters don't seem to be quite good at heating such a large room.

this looks interesting, and you can vent it through the window if you'd like.

[ January 23, 2004, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Suneun ]

LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
It may seem a dumb question, but how cold does the room get?

If I read right, you're running a circus school? It sounds like the kids may be pretty active and generate their own heat. I've always thought it was tougher keeping an exercise class cool enough, rather than warm enough.

Assuming these classes are active, you may just want to have them wear sweatshirts until they get warmed-up.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

Well, I'm in Providence so if it's actually not heated on the weekends, the outside temperature can get down to about 10 below F. The kids (and adults!) might do some damage to their muscles to do strenuous stuff when it's so cold.

Torpedo Heaters seem to be about $200-$300, but not really meant for indoor work. The Vented heater is about $1500 and is quiet and clean.

Any other things I should be looking at?

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Take "Hot Nathan" + Wenches + all in one room = HEAT. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Aerogel insulation!

You could check some of this stuff out, but it's probably out of your budget. [Wink]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

mmm, aerogel.

And people say that NASA research is a waste. Boo on them.

BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
The beautiful part about the Torpedo heaters is they warm a place up quick. Use little kerosene, and don't have the kerosene heater smell.. They can be used to heat a room quickly and then turned off and an alternat sourse used to keep the ambient temp at a comfortable level. I've used them for years and never had a problem with them at all.
Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't work out a rental deal where they turn on the heat for you? I assume there is actually heat in the building if it is turned on during business hours. It seems very odd to me that they wouldn't make this kind of arrangement.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Just do the fire breathing and jumping-through-firey-hoops lessons first each morning and the place will be warmed up for the rest of the day.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Suneun,

Did you get this resolved? Because I was just at a party on Saturday night that had THESE types of heaters warming up a very large area (empty five-car garage). There were SO cool! Everyone was drawn to them as soon as they came in, checking them out.

You can't tell by the photo on the link, but they are about 7 to 8 feet tall, and all the heat radiates out from the top, under the umbrella. So there is nothing at the bottom that kids can reach that is hot (It is cool all the way up to the top).

They run on propane. They are made by Coleman, and the guy who had them works for them, so I'm not suprised he had their latest & greatest thing.

Maybe one of your local rental companies can get a couple for you to rent.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hot Nathan
Member # 6114

- posted      Profile for Hot Nathan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Take "Hot Nathan" + Wenches + all in one room = HEAT.

90% of that heat would be coming from me. The other 10% would be coming from a heater.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.