FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » how about that RPG?

Author Topic: how about that RPG?
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
A few months ago, several of us had a hankering for playing an e-mail/chat RPG, especially a newbie-oriented one. But we lacked a DM.

Anyone still interested in playing, and anyone want to DM?

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've actually been putting together a game, but I wasn't really ready for it to go public yet. Though, if there's consumer demand, maybe I should bump up its IPO.

I would like to know how interested people are, though, in a play by email campaign - I know there are two going on already, one run by Slash and the other by TomDavidson.

So, just what is player interest like at the moment?

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested... but I dunno how! [Frown]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Well, imagine reading a book where you play the main character. Almost like a choose your own adventure, but with infinite options rather than just the two or three. You decide actions, reactions, thoughts, feelings, the whole shebang.

Then, you write the segments that involve your character so the rest of the group can read them and respond in kind. It's really like a big story written by five or six people, rather than just one, with each determining the fate of one of the major characters. And the DM, which in this case would be me, moderates between the players using certain rules and controls all the peripheral characters, essential plot, and setting.

As far as rules, you don't need to buy anything at all, since you can dowload them here.

The primary races are humans, elves, half-elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes and half-orcs. The available classes are barbarians, bards, clerics, druids, fighters, monks, paladins, rangers, rogues, sorcerers, and wizards. Take a looksee through the rules and see what strikes your fancy.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a hankering to get back into the game, lately. I have to say, though, my preference has always been for supers or Mage....
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
This may or my not be connected, but I've just started playing Neverwinter Nights (It's the first RPG I've ever played) and I'm having so much fun. I'm spending WAY too much time on the computer though. Which is annoying my dad, 'cause it only runs on his computer. [Evil Laugh] It sounds like this is connected to Neverwinter, but I'm not sure. [Dont Know]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
In this case, they're talking about text based RPGs, like Dungeons and Dragons, the sort which Neverwinter Nights descends from.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
so blacwolve -- how do you like Neverwinter nights? My son played it 24/7 during the time he was home from college on winter break. Thankfully, he finally beat both the regular game AND the expansion pack. With three different characters.

But of course he keeps re-creating new characters and playing again. Just not as zealously as at first.

(but it keeps me from having to play D&D with him..) [Wink]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Mage would be cool...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Well, part of me really wants to run (or play!) a Werewolf chronicle with you guys... but that might have to wait until White Wolf kicks off their World of Darkness 2.0.

Though, I would at some point like to run a Dark Ages: Fae game, since I helped write it and it's coming out next year. But, again, that's at least four months down the line, and I've got a game and world that's been kicking around in my head for a while.

But, yes, blackwolve, Neverwinter Nights is a PC based version of the tabletop D&D. What we'd be doing is a "play by email" (PBEM) game where you would create your own character using the open source rules linked above, then interact in a world created by the DM (which very well may be me if I can finish up some basics about the campaign over the next couple of days).

Tom has been running a game for a while, and Slash (one of his players) struck out on his own to run another game (which rocks, by the way, and can be found chronicled at www.sakeriver.com/game if you want an idea of what we're talking about). I've been playing in that game and will soon strike out on my own with a third PBEM campaign.

Which begs the question of how many people are interested.

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm personally fond of Dragonlance, but I'd be willing to participate in any fantasy-esque non-punk RPG.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
...Somewhere in the fire swamp...
"But what about the RPGs?"
"Rocket Propelled Grenades? I don't think they exist."
WHOOSH...B O O M!

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

I've been toying with Mage characters for the first time in months (since the demise of the online Infinity Chantry). I've even come up with a workable character from the least playable Methodology of the Syndicate, Disbursements....could be amusing.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to play, but I have certain limitations.

Tom and Slash's games have a minimum requirement of interest, character need (so the party isn't just spell-casters) and writing skill. Now, I'm not yet a master of pen and ink, but I can write when I want to and I put a lot of effort into it when I do. I'd expect the same from the other players. If I were to join a game, I'd hope that the selection were preened a bit of people who just have mild, easily swayed interest.

Just my two cents.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Well, that would entirely depend on who's interested. If I get a grand total of three people who want to play, I can't really be that selective. If I get fifteen who want to play, then I'll be able to better gauge based on submissions who is going to put in some effort into character development and backstory... and who is going to phone it in.

If the pickings look slim ("I like swords.") or there are only two or three people interested, I may scrap the whole thing and try some other time. But somehow I doubt that's going to be a problem.

Slash's game has been awesome so far, and I'd love to have a group as dedicated as that. Those interested in playing should really take a look at the archives at sakeriver to see the level hatrack's been able to produce so far.

[ January 25, 2004, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
i'd love to play, but the writing commitment is too big for me with school and trying to find a job.

I'll watch, though, if you guys want to archive it, like saxy's doing.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

I'll try any RPG, but I'm not sure about my time commitments. We will have to see.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
a) I don't know how to play RPGs still
b) I HAVE NO TIME!

[Frown]

I think I'll pass this time...

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those interested in playing should really take a look at the archives at sakeriver to see the level hatrack's been able to produce so far.
Yes, and as long as you're there you might as well register and participate in the forum. [Smile]

I'd like to be in another game, although I think it would be more fair if I didn't take a slot away from some needy gamer not already involved in a campaign.

There are a whole bunch of good gaming systems out there that I haven't played in a while. Some of them have probably died and gone out of print though... Amber? Shadowrun? Pendragon? Paranoia?

I'd love to see a Skyrealms of Jorune campaign get together but I sort of doubt that there are any extant copies of the rulebooks.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I say you start up a Toons campaign, saxon [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.