FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We Rock to the new Sensation! (Heard any good music lately?)

Author Topic: We Rock to the new Sensation! (Heard any good music lately?)
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
So as I am always looking for new music and also always looking for an opportunity to share my music with others i was wondering if anybody could suggest any bands or songs?

What i've been listening to most recently:

* Against Me!: The Eternal Cowboy -- This cd is so much fun to listen to. If Johnny Cash met the Clash you would have music close to what these Florida fellows play. Acoustic based punk maybe?

* Cursive: The Ugly Organ -- suprisingly danceable indie rock out of Omaha, NE. this album is supposedly not about the singer but that's hard to believe considering how personal the subject matter comes across to THIS listener.

* Mountain Goats: Tallahassee -- the stagename for a singersongwriter who eludes me at the moment, this cd is brilliant, beautiful, quirky folk about the decline of a marriage.

* Bright Eyes: Lifted (The Story is in the soil)-- Great, quirky, experimental chamber pop from Coner Oberst...in fact anything by him and his band Bright Eyes is pretty much going to take your breath away...at least it does mine.

* The Darkness: Permission to Land -- A throwback to late 70's early 80's era metal. Like ANDREW WK before them, these guys just seem too genuine to shrug off as simply a gimmick.

* The Postal Service: Give Up -- Immediately accessible idm inspired lap-Pop music, fronted by Death Cab for Cutie vocalist Ben Gibbard

* Rilo Kiley: Execution of all things -- remember the short skinney bully that hid behind Ethan Suplee's much larger bully in the tv show BOY MEETS WORLD? him and the girl from THE WIZARD formed this indie band from L.A (relocated to Omaha, NE) and play great rock music

* James: Laid -- Still my all time favorite album from start to finish, it's Brit-pop at it's finest. If you've ever seen a preview for any of the American Pie movies than you are already familiar with the title track (fair warning however as the rest of the cd doesn't sound anything like the arena singalong structure of that song) If you've never heard it well what are you waiting for? Go buy it...now! i'll wait.

Anyhow, that's just a bit of what i've been listening, but like i said i am always up for suggestions, so recommend something to me...please... i always need something new.

so...yea...
Ben

"I scraped up my face, bounced my cheek on the floor. i know everything worth doing is worth getting hurt for. But make no mistakes i'll never learn from that. I have no regrets i'll probably do it again. that's A.G.A.I.N" - The Faint

[ January 26, 2004, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posable_Man
Member # 5105

- posted      Profile for Posable_Man           Edit/Delete Post 
Try Donna the Buffalo.
Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Ben's recommendation of James. Great stuff!

My friend Katherine introduced me to the Weakerthans yesterday. I really love the song "Reconstruction Site" and will have to look into more of their stuff.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

one specific song (clocking in at over ten minutes) has been haunting me all night (which is why i have listened to it several times tonight...im a glutton for punishment, plus its gorgeous...) before you ask, no it's not the disco song. It's a carefully balanced mix between structure and chaos especially towards the end when the choir of voices kicks in.

Staying Alive ~~ Cursive

[ January 27, 2004, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the recommendation of The Weakerthans and add The Epoxies for some punk influenced New Wave music. I also have been enjoying The Flaming Lips a lot lately. Also there is At The Drive-In, Jets To Brazil, and Hot Water Music. And then my personal favorite Jawbreaker.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Finger Eleven.

I've been a fan since 1999---I'd like to see them when they come to Atlantic City in a few weeks.

they started out as this kind of sad, accepting-fate kind of music, then they got a bit metallic on their 2002 album, now I just heard a new song on the radio that sounds almost uplifting.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Try Chutes Too Narrow by The Shins. An indie album that doesn't get pretentious till the last track—who'da thunk? Anyway, it's really excellent.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

jawbreaker is amazing. they are re-releasing Dear You this spring last I heard with extra tracks.

The first Jets to Brazil is great, i haven't been that impressed with their later one.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan has been wandering around singing "jeepers, creepers, were'd you get them . . . " over and over lately.

Since it's not a song about peanut butter, I haven't been inclined to complain.

Does that count?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

The Faint is another band i've been listening to alot lately. They basically are trying to bring back dark new wave in a whole new way! woowoo!!

i am slowly realizing that I am Saddle Creek Records bitch, and will listen to whatever they put out. im a slave to the indie man!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.