FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Call for D&D players! Let's roll more dice! [UPDATED!] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Call for D&D players! Let's roll more dice! [UPDATED!]
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. People are just coming out of the woodwork now that the deadline is getting close. I went from having three characters to choose from and a fear that I'd be shorthanded to an overabundance!

It's good, though, cuz that means I can pick some really good characters. [Big Grin]

Right now I have ten characters in my inbox, and more I've heard are on the way.

At the rate things are going, I'll have ten more by tonight. Then another twenty by tomorrow. It's exponential growth as the deadline nears.

[ January 30, 2004, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Procrastination
Member # 4821

- posted      Profile for Procrastination           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boo-ya!

[Evil]

Posts: 75 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be interested to hear other people's back stories, if they'd be willing to share.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got to tell you, Bob, you didn't originally make my game precisely because I couldn't think of a way to make your "man from the future" proposal work in my setting. IMO, you don't want to create a character whose story revolves around himself; this makes it harder for other characters to connect to that story.
Posts: 37425 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there a cartoon in the back of Dragon back in the late '80s that revolved around a guy from our world warped into an AD&D world? I remember liking it (along with Snarfquest, Wormy, and the Phil Foglio (was that his name?) stuff)
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so tempted to send in a back story for Fred, the Half-Dragon fighter.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are overloaded with characters, I can just back out.

But I did want to spectate. Will you be posting the stuff as saxon75 does with Overlook?

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Don't back out Elaine! If I get in, I'd love to be in the same campaign with you.

Who has applied so far?

I hope there'll be a sakeriver style archive; I can imagine that that would be an incredibly useful resource for players.

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've offered to host an archive for Matt, but I have told him that I will probably want someone else to compile the daily digests, especially if I'm not in the campaign. Whoever acts as the archivist should contact me for my formatting requirements.

I'm also going to set up a forwarding account at sakeriver to act as a mailing list for the players, which I'll gladly admin even if I'm not in the game.

Actually, now that more people have submitted sketches I probably won't be in. But it should be fun to watch.

Posts: 4533 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to watch it too, so I'm all for Mike keeping an archive or sorts. I haven't sent in a bio but seeing how many people have I think I'm going to back out of this game. Share the wealth and all.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Okay, I'll submit then.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to everyone who submitted a character idea.

Ten people submitted, but I chose six Ė the maximum I think I can effectively run. So, I had to decide who to keep. There is nothing personal here, just who would be the best fit for this particular game.

So, the final party is as follows, in alphabetical order:

Buchek, barbarian of the grassland wilds left for dead by his people, hoping to find his lost tribe (played by Noemon)

Erk, jovial dwarven cleric of Clangeddin Silverbeard seeking to offer his deityís aid to the lost settlers, or to give them last rites (played by Slash)

Holn, an orphaned mage from the grassland wilds who goes east in search of his destiny, at his dying mentorís wish (played by eslaine)

Kayla, a halfling who wishes to give up her thieving ways to become a master of the fiddle (played by Suneun)

Telwyn, orphaned half-elf ranger looking east to find his fatherís people (played by saxon75)

Toltec, a fighter/wizard escaped from the gladiatorial pits of Abeson, looking to flee from the city and also search out his motherís people to the east (played by a non-Hatrack friend of mine)

Surprisingly, a bunch of people wanted to play a Bard, which is surprising for a frontier/nature campaign. And there was only one cleric and two rangers (which are probably the most needed members of a party heading into uncharted wilds Ė a healer and a guide).

Those of you who are playing, Iíll be sending out an administrative email shortly. Iím devoting this week to technical details and a refining of backgrounds (Iím gonna give you some extra stuff that ties in to your histories). We will ideally start next Monday.

For those who wish to spectate, please send email to RynDrythorn@aol.com (NOT to the email listed in my profile) and Iíll write down your name to put on the list. I already have Bob the Lawyer, ScottR and Raia sharing a box seat (the hot dog vendor will be around shortly).

[ January 31, 2004, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: FlyingCow ]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Slash's gonna be silly-busy.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom, thanks for the pointer. I didn't even remember doing that.

I decided not to send in a profile. THIS TIME.

But I'd like to spectate so that I can learn for NEXT TIME.

One of these days, I'll actually get to play D&D.

Posts: 22496 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aw man bob, woulda been kinda fun if you were in our game.

especially if you were playing a fern.

or a teapot.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, you remind me a bit of Simkin, in ways...

Simkin is a character in the Darksword trilogy by Weis and Hickman.

He becomes a teapot at some point, I believe. And a tree.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Bob, I'm dropping a few inactive players from the game right now and consequently am re-contacting people who're on the waiting list. [Smile] I'd've E-mailed you about it already, except you keep your E-mail private.

If you're still interested, send in another character concept and I'll take a look at it. *grin*

Posts: 37425 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Anyone who's interested in seeing the initial prologues of the new D&D game can view them at www.sakeriver.com/cowgame.

While we haven't offically started all as a group, that will be coming shortly.

Just FYI.

[Hat]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a minute, you have no wizards.

For shame! [No No]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Actually, my game currently has no wizards, either. It's kind of weird, now that I think about it.
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Tom, I know. And it has me greatly worried.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

What kind of lame-o plays wizards, anyway?
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone who wants to play an interesting character instead of those self-righteous priests, useless rogues, or ham-brained fighters [Wink]

Actually, I don't preferentially play wizards, I was just surprised to see them absent.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

That's it, I'm taking back the healing I just cast on you.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Matt's non-hatrack friend is playing a fighter/wizard, right? And Erik is playing a magic user of some sort. What are you guys talking about?
Noemon
Member # 1115

Of course, it's pretty likely that you guys know something I don't know, since I'm trying to refrain from reading the various characters' solo adventures.

[ February 10, 2004, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

I typically play wizards, thief/wizards, or monk/psionicists. Playing any flavor of fighter is a real departure for me. It'll be fun for a change, but I'm going to really miss doing creative things with a limited selection of spells.

I've found "grease" to be one of the most useful non-offensive spells available.

eslaine
Member # 5433

Holn is a sorcerer. Not quite a wizard, but the same spells and such.

He also does not need to prepare said spells to cast them.

It's a trade off, but he has levels in Knowledge (arcane and planes). His spellcraft ability is not light either.

Very nearly a wizard. [Big Grin]

twinky
Member # 693

>> That's it, I'm taking back the healing I just cast on you. <<

Pfft. Cure LIGHT? What kind of priest are you, anyway? Bah.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

There are two characters not yet present on the prologue page - Erik's character Holn (sorcerer 4) and my non-jatrequero friend's character Toltec (wizard 2/ fighter2). Both of these started later than the rest, so were not bundled with the other descriptions.

Granted, lots more has happened at the Singing Anvil, since, too. I'll have more on Holn, Toltec and the Singing Anvil up by the end of the week (that is to say, I'll have it sent to saxon by then, so he can post it).

eslaine
Member # 5433

Ooh! Another magic user.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
twinky: Look what happened to the last guy he cast Heal X Wounds on.

Want to end up charcoal?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

You trying to say that twinky's evil and needs a good striking down by Pelor?
twinky
Member # 693

Look, I'm the one who plays with fire, not you [Razz]
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Playing with fire, eh? That reminds me...

[goes off to write up the next round]

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

This does not bode well.
eslaine
Member # 5433

How 'bout a little fire, Rennik?
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Little fire never hurt no one... except maybe Sa'id...
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

I lost my first hit points of the game [Frown]
twinky
Member # 693

You'd best have large piles of healing spells available...
eslaine
Member # 5433

That was quite a hurty-drowny-owy thing.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.