FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best scene

Author Topic: Best scene
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of FotR, TT, and RotK, what is your favorite scene? I'm doing a short play with some of my friends for part of my report on LotR, so it has to be something that can be acted out as a skit, not a battle scene, although that would be rather amusing...just curious as to what would be most interesting. Thanks! [Big Grin]
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
wieczorek -- where ya been? You haven't posted in like, forever.

I think maybe if you go back to our thread on "favorite single lines" from those movies, it might give you some ideas. (If I wasn't so lazy, I would go find the threads and link to them here)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
No question:

In ROTK, when Pippin is singing, the riders are galloping towards certain doom and Denethor is eating.

I love the way you never see the slaughter, but you know it's there. I love the way Pippin is reluctant to sing. I love the way Denethor stuffs his food in his mouth.

It's brilliant. [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Wasn't there a post on here somewhere about Pippin singing to Denethor, but the lyrics were to a love song or something? And when Frodo and Sam are about to be rescued from Mt. Doom (although they don't know it) and Sam asks Frodo to hold him one last time? That was funny. I don't know why I'm asking when I could look it up myself, so, I'll go do that... [Wink]
Thanks

[ January 27, 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: wieczorek ]

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Yeah, this site
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
One I love is from Fellowship, in Lothlorien. Specifically, the exchange between Boromir and Aragorn (I will find no rest here, etc.). I'm not sure why, but that scene always gets to me. Something about Boromir (after being so haughty with Aragorn up to that point) admitting that his father's throne is failing seemed powerful to me.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
When Gandolf thwaps Denethor with his staff. [Smile]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thrak
Member # 5499

- posted      Profile for thrak   Email thrak         Edit/Delete Post 
At the end of TTT when Sam says he can't wait to hear the story of Frodo and the Ring. When he mutters Samwise the Brave and Frodo grins... that makes the entire series for me. [Big Grin]

[ January 27, 2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: thrak ]

Posts: 115 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Those are all good, thanks...hey, well, I guess I know why, but, here goes...why didn't they make a movie about "The Hobbit"? I suppose there wouldn't be enough action and battley thingies, but...well...hmph...

[Smile]

Smurfette
Member # 6152

- posted      Profile for Smurfette           Edit/Delete Post 
In production, w.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

seriously? Wow, that's pretty cool.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
It is, officially, now? Last I heard, they were just debating whether or not to do it.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

I'm still confused about what "w" means...
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Here
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry...w is you. I can't spell it unless I'm looking at it. [Wink]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, I was mistaken about the phase. Still in concept. But that would be cool anyway, and I'm guessing that at this point, whatever PJ wants, PJ gets.

HSX

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

That would be really cool if they actually decided to make The Hobbit into a movie.
Oh, w=wieczorek...... [Embarrassed] <-------that doesn't really look embarrassed to me...

[ January 27, 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: wieczorek ]

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there is that cartoon version that featured Orson Bean as the voice of Bilbo.

[ January 27, 2004, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Derrell ]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
The scene in TTT where Gollum talks to himself. "Smeagol is FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

The scene where Sam carries Frodo up the mountain. The coronation scene.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

The Smeagol-talking-with-his-other-half-yet-seeming-like-two-malformed-creatures scene is hilarious! It does make me laugh... [Big Grin]
wieczorek
Member # 5565

I just found the FAVORITE SINGLE LINES thread, and I have to say that my favorite is when Sam says, "I may not be able to carry the ring, but I can carry you..." I'm kicking myself in the foot because none of these scenes seem possible to act out in class...hmmm... [Frown]
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
There are scenes I love because they are straight out of the book, and there are scenes I love because they make me cry, and there are scenes I love just for the beauty of them or the way they are acted.

In the last category, one of the best scenes to me was the one where Grima is stroking Eowyn's face, after Theodred has died, and you can see in her eyes the way she reacts to his words and for a moment you think she might actually be listening to him....and then she says "Your words are poison!"

The Denethor/Pippin/Ride to Osgiliath scene is one of the best things I've ever seen on film. It took my breath away, and I could not get it out of my mind.

No one has mentioned yet Gandalf and Frodo talking in Moria? That was great. "Some who live deserve death, and some who die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo?"

That one you could re-create rather easily, as they were just sitting down talking.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to start yelling in the Rohan charge, when Theoden was shouting, "A RED DAY! A SWORD DAY!" To any music fans, the song the trumpets are blaring is the same song sung by the choir boy in A: the moth scene in FOTR B: the Ent charge in TTT and C: the sun rising in TTT. It's like the song of Hope, I think. I would say nature, but there's nothing too natural about a bunch of norse cavalry charging into death. But the song was what really got me in that part.

I wish that was on the soundtrack. Or, at least, online somewhere. [Big Grin]

[ January 27, 2004, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

I think my problem might be that I can't really decide which scene or passage is ABSOLUTELY my favorite one...back to the books it is...
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Pippin singing/battle

"You bow to no one."

"I'm back."

"Don't go where I can't follow!"

Legolas and the oliphant. So sue me. [Razz]

"I can't carry [your burden/it[the ring (I forgot)], but I can carry you!"

"Elsa, honey, give me your hand."

--------

Least favorite: anything with Gollum. He bugged me - he was cool, but not nearly as cool as PJ thought he was. Those are the scenes that I leave to wander the halls when I saw the movie again. In five years, I think PJ is going to regret he didn't cut more of Gollum.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I love with massive love the Amon Hen, the best scene in the entire series, and BTW Fellowship is still the best of the three movies.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I really have quite a few favorite scenes that I'm torn between, especially in tTT and RotK with Arwen having foresight about her life with Aragorn, but my all-time favorite scene is with Merry and Pippin standing in the flooded Isenguard, on tTT-EE (which of course carries over to the RotK opening; "We are enjoying the spoils of war.").

"Oh yes, Merry. It's a quality establsihment. I hear the staff is very good."

[Laugh] Every time.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Has someone already mentioned Boromir's death scene? You don't have to have him getting shot with the arrows, but the bit where Aragorn promises not to let Minas Tirith fall is moving.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite scene: when Gandalf rides out to save the retreating Farimer (so I can't spell, sue me. Or don't that would be better [Wink] ). Not when he shine the light (or wahtever) but just the horses charging across the plains towards each other.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
While there were good moments -- and excellent music, cinematography, CGI, and set design -- I think PeterJackson catered to his Dungeons&Dragons and slash&bash videogame side, and missed many of the most cogent points of The Lord of the Rings to film boring and often nonsensical battle scenes. In other words, most of the movie script sucked.

I'd go with the barrow wights scene: in which Merry & Pippin earned their swords, and didn't just get the swords handed to them by Aragon.
Or the scene in which Frodo uses Sting to fight the Nazgul; rather than cowering while Aragon does all of the fighting.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
aspectre, do you ever agree with anyone?

Anyway, my vote is for Gandalf talking to Pippin about dying.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Often. Just never feel that saying "rah rah" adds much.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I see.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
*Seconds Shigosei's nomination of Boromir's death scene.*

That is the best, straight, man-to-man love scene I have ever seen (yes, even better than Sam and Frodo).

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

The wake at Edoras. It's probably too short, but I liked the "Hail the victorious dead!" line.

The paths of the dead. Obviously you can't have a bunch of dead guys around, but the dialogue was pretty interesting.

If you can sneak in "And Rohan will answer!" that would also be wonderful.

The creation of the Fellowship at the Counsel of Elrond, probably starting with Frodo saying "I will take the ring!"

[ January 28, 2004, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: Shigosei ]

wieczorek
Member # 5565

Hmm...I could do FotR and maybe act out the scene where the fellowship is originally formed. Then there would be...Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Gimli, Aragorn, Legolas, Boromir, and Gandalf...I think that's everybody. Actually, it would PROBABLY be useful to include Elrond [Wink] . Yes, I might do that...
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite scene is in the extended edition of FOTR where Merry and Pippin are dancing on the table singing a drinking song. ("Hey ho to the pub I go...") I think it's one of the funniest scenes in the whole movie.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

I've seen the extended version of FotR but not for TTT. I can't wait until November for the RotK EE!! [Big Grin]
wieczorek
Member # 5565

Then again, if I decide not to do the Council of Elrond, maybe I could do an act from one of those parodies - [Wink]

SAM and FRODO are sitting together on a rock. SAM stretches, and drops his arm around FRODO's shoulders.

SAM: So, sir. Finally it's just you and me.

FRODO: "Finally"? What do you mean?

SAM: Oh, uh...nothing...

FRODO: Well, you're wrong. We've got company.

GOLLUM flies out of the rocks and pounces on FRODO.

SAM: Hey! Wait your turn!

SAM and FRODO tie up GOLLUM.

GOLLUM: No! Smeagol not into ropes, nassty kinky hobbitses.

FRODO: We just want you to take us to Mordor, you sicko.

GOLLUM: Mordor? Hobbitses having little Goth phase, maybe? Very angsssty, wanting to go to Mordor, yes yes. Can Smeagol offer black eyeliner to angsssty hobbitses?

SAM: You stop talking to Mr.--hmm. (to FRODO) You know, you wouldn't look half bad in eyeliner.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The scene from the book, not the movie, where Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli meet Eomer and the riders for the first time is very good. It touches on the timelessness of good and evil, plus has some good testosterone-driven dog-sniffing aspects.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
Gandalf facing off the Balrog

As they run toward the bridge, the BALROG emerges from the chasm behind them. GANDALF makes sure everyone is across the bridge before he makes his stand. In the center of the bridge, he turns to face the demon, staff and sword in hand.

GANDALF: You cannot pass!

FRODO: Gandalf!

A wave of flame spreads across the BALROG.

GANDALF: I am a servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor! Dark fire shall not avail you, flame of Udun!

BALROG draws a flaming sword and swings at GANDALF, but he blocks it.

GANDALF:Go back to the shadow! You shall not pass!

GANDALF slams his staff on the ground, and a flash of white light drives the BALROG back. The demon draws a whip of fire, steps onto the bridge, and the bridge gives way, dropping the BALROG into the chasm. It seems they have won, but as he turns away, the tail of the whip catches GANDALF'S ankle and pulls him down. He gets a brief grasp on the edge of the bridge.

What was just as good was the beginning of TTT when what happens after that is shown. Although I don't think you guys have the CGI to make a Balrog. So I guess that's out. [Razz]

[ January 28, 2004, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Gottmorder ]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe my favorite scene of all time...the battle of Helm's Deep, towards the end, when you see Gandalf, and Shadowfax rearing, against that light, and then he says "Theoden King stands alone" and Eomer rides up with his beautiful teeth and says "Not alone" and they all ride down....wow.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say my favorite scene (and a good one to act out) is the scene between Aragorn and Eowyn where (I'm paraphrasing) he remarks that she is good with a sword, for a girl and she says that "those who do not wield a sword can still die on one". In the movie, the look in her eyes when Aragorn parries her sword made me fall instantly in love.

Don't tell my wife.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
In the movies, I loves the Balrog. And the whole Pippen/Denethor/Osgiliath bit.

But in the books, I have two favourite scenes, I think. Well, more than two, but two that come to me now.

The original "Riders of Rohan" speech. I was so upset when they altered the dialogue. I love that scene, love it to bits.

And I think my favourite scene at all, one that would be very very hard to act, is a passage from the "Stairs of Cirith Ungol." The bit where Smeagol seems just an old, tired hobbit, and when we think the redemption of Smeagol is still possible. But then Sam wakes up to see him "pawing at master" and yells, and Gollum reappears, permanently. Smeagol is lost. I love that scene, so subtly written.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
"I am William Wallace."

Oh wait, wrong movie.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enjeeo
Member # 2336

- posted      Profile for enjeeo   Email enjeeo         Edit/Delete Post 
w

How many people are doing this scene?

Belle ***SPOILER WARNING*** (in spite of the fact that I very much doubt there's anyone on here who hasn't seen LoTR:))

I love that scene with Gandalf and Frodo, too. That theme of not taking a life carelessly because you can't know what the result will really be is so interesting, especially given Gollum's role in the final moments. It's not just that he ended up as guide - if Frod had killed him the quest would have failed. They succeed not just because of doing what Sauron doesn't expect, or by the others of the Fellowship distracting his eye - they also succeed because of Frodo's compassion and Gandalf's wise counsel.

I also like the way Frod develops as a character - first pitying Gollum, but later (after bearing the ring for a time) understanding him and feeling real compassion for his state of being.
quote:
I suppose there wouldn't be enough action and battley thingies, but...well...hmph...
Plenty of good stuff like that and a DRAGON!! I'd like to see PJ's version of Smaug. And treasure. And more dwarves. etc etc Could be great.

[ January 29, 2004, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: enjeeo ]

Posts: 2451 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.