FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "I don't want sunbursts or marble halls..." (A call to all jatraqueras) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "I don't want sunbursts or marble halls..." (A call to all jatraqueras)
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Dangit, Tom! I was also thinking of that scene from The Empire Strikes Back.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a horrible scene, Tom and Jon Boy! All the women in the audience just want to KICK him when he says, "I know" in that cocky voice...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
No way! I love Han, cause he's so cocky.
What about the scene when Leia takes him out of the carbonite?

I like that one.

edit: Olivet, the Somewhere in Time movie was shot on Mackinack Island, where Ken and I worked two summers ago.

Ni!

[ January 28, 2004, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: kwsni ]

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
And in Return of the Jedi , when Leia pulls the gun out to pull some smackdown on the storm troopers, Han says "I love you," and Leia, of course, says "I know."
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
"I happen to like nice men"
"I'm nice men"
"No you're not , you-"

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe no one has mention 'The Princess Bride', with the kiss to end all kisses! HELLO! [Wink]

The old Romeo and Juliet (NOT THE DICAPRIO VERSION), the balcany scene.

And if you want some romantic folktales (one of which reduced me to tears when I first saw it), Jim Henson's 'The Storyteller' miniseries is wonderful. (the stories are: Sapsorrow, the True Bride, and especially The Three Ravens)

And the whole 'movie premere' scene in 'America's Sweethearts'.

[ January 28, 2004, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolat, when Vienne (?) serves the character Johnny Depp plays (Roux?) hot chocolate and he says something about it being his favourite, and he thought she'd never guess.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
The rating restriction kind of hamstrung me, but here goes...

As Good As It Gets

"You make me want to be a better man."

Forrest Gump

Forrest: Will you marry me?
[Jenny turns and looks at him]
Forrest: I'd make a good husband, Jenny.
Jenny: You would, Forrest.
Forrest: But you won't marry me.
Jenny: You don't wanna marry me.
Forrest: Why don't you love me, Jenny? I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is.

Big Fish

My mother-in-law, husband, and I all loved this movie. I don't want to say my favorite part, for those who haven't seen it yet, but it is really beautiful.

Secondhand Lions

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two world wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I've led thousands of men into battle with horses and swords, artillery and tanks. I've seen the headwaters of the Nile and tribes of natives no white men had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, killed many men, and loved only one woman with a passion a flea like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am."

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Love Actually

The scene where Colin Firth proposes. I know it's R, but that scene's fine, and it's so sweet!

All Of Pride and Prejudice, especially the scene with Darcy at his house.

This is sort of sad, but the scene in Guess Who's coming to Dinner when Spencer Tracy is being all stubborn and Katharine Hepburn is looking at him with tears in her eyes and you can just feel how much she loves him.

I have to go, I'll try and think of more later. This is fun!

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While You Were Sleeping

Slipping on the ice scene.

The wedding scene and the LOOK that Bill Pullman gives her as she confesses that she loves him. Ah, it's a killer!!

The final proposal scene in the ticket booth. "Marry Me." "Yeah." "I love you." "I love you back." It's wonderful!!

You forgot the "Leaning" scene, and the scene walking back from putting the couch in Peter's apartment!

Others...

French Kiss

the scene on the train where she falls asleep! *squeals*

the scene in his bedroom with the pretty box

the scene in the hotel room before the dinner with evil charlie

the whole final sequence starting with her closing her eyes on the airplane

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
*peeks at the thread*

You mean BYU doesn't just edit the movies themselves and show them? That's what Harding did....

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
OKay,here's another one I thought of tonight.

The Highlander when he holds Heather in his arms and talks to her as she dies.

Curiously, I found the scene in the antique room rather romantic. Although I don't think the first thing I would do after I stabbed a guy in the chest and he told me he was immortal is kiss him.

I'd probably run screaming. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And the whole 'movie premere' scene in 'America's Sweethearts'.

Oh thank you Mayday! I was trying to remember the name of that movie and it was driving me nuts! Thank you thank you thank you thank you....

All right people, I can't believe no one has mentiones this: GONE WITH THE WIND!!! Come on! Pick a kiss, they're all good, but the best one is prob'ly when they're standing in the field with the sunset in the background... *sigh*

Most of the other good movies have already been mentioned.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

Oh, Belle!

*shakes fist*

I haven't seen Highlander yet!

[Frown]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. [Blushing]

That said - why the heck not??!!??

Get out and rent it. Today.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Belle stole mine, but I wanted to actually post the dialogue from the scene with my post. I never thought that someone hadn't seen Highlander! So, I guess it's just as well I didn't. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity... Do you think watching a movie of the most romantic moments when you are sad is going to make you more or less depressed?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife's favorite romantic movie is The Age of Innocence. She has had me watch it with her several times, and she has a point.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
What about movies with... *waits for cat to finish walking past monitor*...Audrey Hepburn.
Pick one, they're all good! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

I've actually been planning on watching it for quite a while, Belle. I almost watched it this Saturday, even. And then I decided not to. A decision I will rue until the day I die. [Wink]
pepperuda
Member # 1573

- posted      Profile for pepperuda   Email pepperuda         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my favorites have been taken, but Life is Beautiful is awfully romantic, despite the lack of kissing. "Bonjorno, Princupesa" (Sorry, I don't know Italian.) And when he plays the record out the window.

Never Been Kissed tends to be my first thought cause that would so be me. Just don't tell my students that.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember! The last scene in Roman Holiday. How can a movie that has Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck not be horribly romantic?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidyanna
Member # 6148

- posted      Profile for kidyanna   Email kidyanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of these have most likely been said but I belive they could use repeating.i consider myself one of the authorities on romantic films. [Hat]

Anne of avonlee - the bridge scene
Little women - lauries proposal & the end
The princess bride - the begining & please ,i need to live
How to lose a guy in 10 days- the house scene
Down with love- the end
Ten things i hate about you- the poem-end
Pretty woman-when he hits the dude
Benny and joon- the end
Pirates of the caribbean-"Elizabeth" & end
Gigi-the end
When harry met sally - the end
Ever after - the end
The cutting edge - the end
Two weeks notice - the party/end
My bug fat greek wedding-anypart of it
Sweet home alabama - the proposal/wedding
How to deal-jedi mind trick at the end
The princess diaries- the end

well that's about all i can think of right now but do you notice how most of them are end scenes?
so odd.well, Enjoy! [The Wave]

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I've been keeping up with this thread, but I have been to busy to actually sit down and make a response, but it's sure been fun to read! [Big Grin]

Some random comments:

Bok- Gattaca actually isn't rated R. I saw it for the first time last year--great movie! [Smile]

rivka- Here in our apartment (and with most LDS females also) the end of Notting Hill where they are sitting on the bench and she is "happily pregnant" is very well-loved. [Smile] It was already on our list.

Narnia- You know, this twin thing comes in handy! Those were wonderful suggestions! I haven't seen a few of the movies you mentioned, and they are now on my list to see soon. [Big Grin]

Maccabeus- Nope, they don't show edited movies here at BYU. They used to (when my parents went here), but I think they got in trouble with copyrights or something. It's very sad that they don't do it anymore.

Belle- I'm a little embarrassed because everyone seemed to know about it, but I've never heard of The Highlander. Could you tell me more about it? [Blushing]

Xaposert- That's just one of the fundamental mysteries of females, isn't it? Eating ice cream and watching depressing romances when we're sad. I'm not sure it *exactly* makes us feel better per se, but we do it anyway. Seems slightly masochistic, eh? [Smile] Unexplainable...

Thanks again! And do continue... [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
The Highlander was good enough to spawn several so-so sequels and a TV show I never saw.

It cuts back and forth between the present and the past, but it's all the same guy. It's his story, because he's immortal. He lived through a mortal wounding, and was cast out of his clan because they figured he was possessed or something. But these immortals can only be killed by chopping off their heads. Anyway, he falls in love and marries. Later he finds out he is immortal, and that because he's immortal, he can't father children. He knows this will disappoint his wife, but they stay together. She grows old and he doesn't, then finally dies. This is all a brief montage, shown to as song with the refrain, "Who wants to live forever?" It totally kills me, because he loves her so much. *sniff*

I'm such a girl. [Cry] But the movie is really about how all these immortals have o eventually come together and kill each other to get a mysterious 'gift'. That's what the tag line, "There can be only one" means. It's one of those rare 'guy' movies that is also very emotionally centered, and girls like it too. Plus, whosit? Christopher Lambert? Used to be hot. [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for kicks, I decided I'd post the scenes we have on our list that haven't been mentioned yet: [Smile]

Emma- Mr. Knightly's proposal....*sigh* it's a beautiful thing!

Runaway Bride- The Wedding Rehearsal--Richard Gere is good at movie kisses!

Anastasia- The kiss at the end

A Walk to Remember- this is like the *quintessential* cheesy chick movie
1. at the end of her song in the school play when he kisses her
2. the rub on tatoo in the car....way sexy!
3. "I might kiss you." "I might be bad at it."

Wedding Planner- the end scene

One Fine Day- the whole end part

The Mask of Zorro- the scene where they dance...woo hoo!

Spiderman- the upside down kiss

Sleeping Beauty- "I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream..."

Serendipity- snow kiss

yay! [Smile]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
The only one that I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is Shakespeare in Love.
*sigh*
The entire movie is great but the best part is the death scene at the end.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
Banna got to it first but I have to second "10 Things", which I was going to say when I read her post. [Smile] I love when he sings to her in the bleachers...it's a pretty good movie all around.

And any two minutes from "Shakespeare in Love."

added: Sorry, I'm just too late all around.

Wait, what death scene? It's been a while since I saw it...

[ January 30, 2004, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: MaureenJanay ]

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! What about the scene in Braveheart where the the newlywed wife averts bloodshed, gently laying her hand on her husband's cheek before she is carted off for the "1st night's rites"
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
"I want to look at you and not feel so hurt by you." Jennifer Aniston The Object of My Affection [Cry]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
If the part of Big Fish that Mrs. M mentioned is the part I'm thinking about, I second it. The part I'm talking about was one of those giddy, smile moments, though; not a tear-jerker moment.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Find the movie "Cinema Paradiso" and watch the final scene. I think you'll all be pleasantly surprised. [Smile]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle:
quote:
she asks him if he can give her any reason not to marry her brother and he says he can't.
Ummm, I can think of a number of reasons a woman shouldn't marry her brother. Birth defects for one [Wink] . Since I haven't seen the movie, am I safe in assuming you meant 'his'?

Anyway, I get extremely depressed when watching romantic movies sometimes, especially when I'm already fealing lonely. Guys and girls must be built differently that way.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Chasing Amy

The scene when Holden professes his love to Alyssa and she freaks and storms out of the car and he gets back in and tries to plead his case. then Holden, defeated, is walking back to his car in the pouring rain. Alyssa then runs in from off screen and leaps into his arms crying as she is confused, sad, angry, and overjoyed all at once. one of those intense kissing moments i've seen on film.

[ February 02, 2004, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been called unromantic before, but I didn't really believe it until I just realized that I've seen maybe a half-dozen of the movies mentioned so far. [Big Grin]

----------------

Ben makes a good suggestion, though you'd have to get through the movie to get the full feel, and I think the church looks down on "man falls in love with lesbian, converts her, then dumps her because she had a threesome with two guys he knows" films.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
There's gotta be one in "Keeping the Faith" - it's my favorite 'Chick Flick' [Wink]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
For Keeping the Faith

Brian to Anna: "I don't doubt myself because of you. I feel like the best version of myself when I'm with you, and that makes me doubt everything else."

Who knew a crisis of faith could be so romantic?

But the best scene is between Brian and Jake:

BRIAN:I love Anna.

JAKE:I know you do. We all do.

BRIAN: No, you don't understand. I'm in love with Anna.

JAKE: What? I mean, she's like your sister!

BRIAN: Yes, thank you for adding new depth to my confusion!
<pause>
You could have any girl in the city. Why did you have pick the only girl I've ever felt anything for?

JAKE: Pardon me for not being sensitive that my friend the priest was in love with my secret girlfriend!

---

Edward Norton was adorable in that scene. Crazy in love, soaked in dissapointment, defending her anyway, and ultimately asking his friend and rival for help in understanding what it meant that love had hit him like a two-by-four.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
Great scene and yet... Somehow I don't think that its particularly romantic. But Damn! Talk about Revenge...
Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
*gushes* This is such a Great Thread! I'm reading along for recommendations and getting semi-previews on the way. There are so many of these I haven't seen that sound so cool. Thank you! Especially hansenj! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.