FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Soda, Pop, or Soft Drink? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Soda, Pop, or Soft Drink?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I drank Pop when I was growing up in Southern California.

Where in SoCal?? The only people I know around here who say "pop" are (some of the) Eastern imports. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who doesn't call it soda is just wrong.
*sits back and waits for everyone to agree*

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I call it soda. Most in California do. [Smile]

Why don't we combine pop and soda?

Soda pop? What a great new idea! I don't think anybody has ever called it that before! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka...Simi Valley, in Ventura County.

Actually, I can't remember what everyone else called it, so my calling it Pop may be a relic of my mother's Okie/Arkie background. [Smile] (She is really, truly an "Okie from Muskogee", having been born there; but then her family moved to Arkansas when she was a few months old. Hence the "slash" designation for her background.)

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I know a few Venturans. Pretty sure they all say soda. Musta been your mom. 'Sok -- my dad still says some stuff with the Brooklyn accent he was brought up with. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
I go with Fizzy - again like Sugar & Spice I'm British

In our house someone usually just shouts "drink" (joke from Father Ted) when ever someone else goes in the Kitchen

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Could be that, Rivka. On the other hand, you have to keep in mind that this was a long time ago, and the terminology could have changed. I haven't lived in Southern California since 1978, after all.

Ouch. That made me feel old. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, but I've been here since late 1980, and I don't remember ever hearing "pop" from anyone who was a native. [Smile]
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course! Ms. M is right! I'd forgotten all about it, as I never use the generic name anymore.

But all carbonated beverages are coke. Even Pepsi.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it's not really that different from calling all facial tissues Kleenex, but it still strikes me as weird. What do you say when you want an actual Coke? Do you have to call it a Coca-Cola to make it clear?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're in a restaurant in the South, they'll usually ask you what kind of Coke you want. If you want an actual Coke, you just say "Coke" again. If you want a Diet Coke, you say "Diet," and if you want a Sprite, you say 'Clear."
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, of course. It's coke. "Anybody want a coke? I'm going down to get one."
"Sure, get me one!"
"What kind?"
"Coke."
"Got it."

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
If I want a "cola", I ask for a coke. If the place serves Pepsis products (most places serve one or the other, not both), they'll bring you a Pepsi. If I want diet cola, I ask for a diet coke. Same thing - they'll bring a Diet Pepsi. Anything after that, I'll specify - Sprite, Mountain Dew, etc.

All cans, no matter what soda was in them, are referred to as coke cans. All machines, even if they only sell Pepsi products, are coke machines.

This is a fact of life because Coke is much better than Pepsi. Whenever people discuss these things, a part of their subconscious is truly wishing they were all Coke and that Pepsi did not exist.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And a "pop machine" is a microwave
I have NEVER heard this before, Rivka! Is this purely a California slang?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

zgator, that's so true! I feel sorry for the poor people out west and up north who have difficulty finding real cokes and have to drink that awful pepsi stuff. (Mountain Dew, though, is pretty good.) Someday I hope they'll discover the problem and fix it, just as they have recently finally discovered the joys of freshly manufactured Krispy Kreme doughnuts. [Smile]

Another thing I realized not long ago that those poor people lack is HUSH PUPPIES! I was shocked and saddened to hear that people in other parts of the country don't know that when you mix cornmeal batter with onions and deep fry blobs of it in very hot Crisco, it results in something very close to the concept of paradise as described by several major religions. [Smile]

[ February 02, 2004, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my linguistics professors got a strongly worded letter from the Coca Cola mafia (uh, I mean legal department) that Coke is a trademark and not a generic word for carbonated beverage. I think I grew up saying soda

What about bandaid?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's like calling your Ford a Saturn, because you call all cars Saturns. IT may be a Ford, it may be a Saturn, but it's not BOTH. But they ARE both Cars.
So, if your kleenexes are Scott Tissues or Puffs, you don't call 'em kleenex?

If your fridgidaire is a Maytag or a Kenmore, you don't call it a frigidaire?

If your aspirin is a generic brand (instead of Bayer) you don't call it aspirin?

If your band-aid is from Curity, you don't call it a band-aid?

If your rollerblades aren't from Rollerblade, you don't call them rollerblades?

[Confused]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Dang it, why didn't I see that there was a page two?!

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

(I'd promised myself I'd never use that graemlin again . . . [Angst] )
ak
Member # 90

Why, Icky? Because it's self abusive? [Smile] Well, just turn off the animations and it hurts a lot less.
Soda Moose
Member # 6168

- posted      Profile for Soda Moose   Email Soda Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Strange to say, I actually call them soft drinks. I do say coke machine, but probably because most of them say coke in large print across the front.

Pop, if you want this name to cheer yourself up you're welcome to it. Just email me and I'll get you the password. This is almost as good as the time I registered the Dread Pirate Davidson.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Someday I hope they'll discover the problem and fix it, just as they have recently finally discovered the joys of freshly manufactured Krispy Kreme doughnuts.
I weep for people who have never had a Krispy Kreme donut right off the line.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
If I don't want Dr. Pepper, then I ask for a cola. If there's no DP, then who gives a rip what I'm drinking? Unless the choice is between Mountain Dew and crab juice. I'll take the crab juice!

Hey: I was in Savannah last summer and I found out that the Krispy Kreme rights have been sold to every US city with at least 100,000 people. They're still workin' on 50,000.

Here in Tucson we just got KK last YEAR...I had to drive to Phoenix for my donuts!

[ February 02, 2004, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we've only got them stored in boxes in Prescott.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it's worth the drive. How far are you from Phoenix?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If your fridgidaire is a Maytag or a Kenmore, you don't call it a frigidaire?

Um... actually I call it a refridgerator, or a fridge. Maybe a fridgerator, but that's only if I'm not thinking normally. I don't think I've ever called it a frigidaire.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I feel sorry for the poor people out west and up north who have difficulty finding real cokes and have to drink that awful pepsi stuff.
Is Coca-Cola different in the South? 'Cause we have it out West. And you know, some of us prefer Pepsi to that nasty, bitter, cough-syrupy Coke stuff.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Soda is obviously correct. Though I had to laugh when our waiter at the local Chinese place asks customers "You want some Pop-Soda?".
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Does anyone else here consider Pepsi and Coke to be two completely different drinks that should be served with different foods? I like coke with fried chicken, and pepsi with pizza. Like white wine and red wine, only...more similar.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
PSI Teleport: Prescott is 96 miles from Phoenix. It usually takes an hour and a half to an hour and forty-five minutes to get there. But i know it's worth it; I've had it before. Although, coincidentally, I actually had it first in the LA area while on vacation.

Flag may have them fresh-made too. I've never checked.

And about your other question:

Sort of, though I like Coke with both fried chicken and pizza. Pepsi is my preference for snack foods, like potato chips, though.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
And a "pop machine" is a microwave
I have NEVER heard this before, Rivka! Is this purely a California slang?
*sigh* It was a bad joke. Microwave popcorn being one of the most common uses of most microwaves . . .
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, rivka. We call vacuums "sucky sweepers" in my family and we all think it's hilarious.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always called it a coke no matter what brand it was. My grandma use to get on to me when I was a kid and tell me to call it a soda or a cola. I didnt listen. That is probably one of the things she said or did that she did not have a major influence on me.
of course she also told me that watching commecials was silly but I like commecials and get a kick out of them.

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
They're all coke.
Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Mintieman.. it's soft drink.

Mind you, over here everyone calls them "soft drink" or "softies"...none of that pop or soda nonsense! [Smile]

That, together with the fact Minties are a (I think) typically Australian sweet - Mintieman, are you an Aussie in disguise?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Soda...
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I drank pop when I lived in NC, soda in CA, pop in ID, soda in KS, soda in NY, soda in FL, soda in VT, and pop in LA.

I could never actually bring myself to call it pop, but I did my best not to laugh at those who did.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.