FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Nobel War?

Author Topic: A Nobel War?
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Bush and Blair have been nominated for this year's Nobel Peace Prize.

Reading the article through - anyone can be nominated (last year there were 165 nominations). It also seems there is little to none chance of them actually winning the prize.

Which I think is a good thing. Regardless of your take on WMD, justification, the role of the UN etc etc I don't think a peace prize should be given out on the basis of an invasion.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
For heaven's sake, you're right. The only logical way to view matters like awards is completely independent of their context.

Bloody brilliant.

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I meant the whole giving an award for peace based on a war (and while some would argue war leads to peace, in this case Iraq is still in shambles and the threat of WMD attacks by Hussain is exactly the same as it was before the war).

Not "let's not give the award to Bush just because I don't like his name" or any other out-of-context reason.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Oh, I was led to believe from your first post that you believed that any invasion, for any reason, should automatically be disqualified from a "peace" award.

To my foolish way of thinking, "WMD, justification, the role of the UN etc etc," were the context of the war.

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

The way I think about the word "invasion" is coloured with notions of lack of justification, unprovoked attacks, and denial of sovereignty. Which is the case in international law, but not in the way the word is more commonly used - so my mistake.

On the other hand, at least it got someone to respond to my post [Smile]

Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

LOL

Yeah, most invasions are. But, the Normandy invasion was an invasion, and few people are going to say that wasn't justified and neccesary.

Which is sort of my point--The occupations in Japan and Germany lasted for years, and those were countries in better shape than Iraq was. I really don't think the post-war period is going any worse than anybody expected.

I'm certainly not arguing that Bush and Blair deserve the awards. Only a handful of misguided people would argue that.

Just against the idea that invasions are categorically wrong. They really are sometimes neccesary.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would argue that invasions ARE automatically disqualified from the Peace Prize. Clearly, if an invasion is necessary, someone did not work hard enough to make the invasion unnecessary and therefore deserves no prize.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
And even if the invasion is necessary, it shouldn’t win a peace prize any more than the best college basketball player should win the Heisman trophy.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
But look at all the wars he didn't start. [Roll Eyes] I do think it was a good thing to get our troops out of Saudi, but a Nobel Peace Prize is just weird.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, heck! Kissinger got it for Vietnam!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he got that for his sexy sexy voice.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
pooka, yeah, love that German accent! [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Famous story about an interview with Kissinger's brother, who is two years older, yet speaks English with no accent:

quote:
Some 50 years after his family had left Germany, Walter Kissinger was asked why he did not share his famous brother Henry's heavy German accent. "I," he replied, "am the Kissinger who listens."

[Big Grin]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
If Arafat can win a peace prize, said prize no longer has any meaning.
Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
It's official. Orwell was a true prophet.

"War is peace."

Aaarrrgggghhhhhhhh!

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]

I think the Apocalypse must be imminent.

I agree 100% with Robespierre!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Yeah, invasions never lead to peace.

I will tell that to the officers who will break into your home to stop the man who is trying to kill you.

I'll ask the officers to turn around and go home.

"Tom just has more negotiating to do," I'll tell them. "He just needs to work harder to make your violent invasion unneccesary."

[Roll Eyes]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, I think we need a higher standard for a Peace Prize than simply the cessation of hostilities. In theory, after all, nuking every other country on the planet would pacify the place; is that worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize?

I think the means AND the ends should be considered, which is why I think Bush is no more deserving of the prize than Arafat.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Thanks Tom and dkw for expressing what I meant - just with more eloquence and cohesiveness.

quote:
But, the Normandy invasion was an invasion, and few people are going to say that wasn't justified and neccesary.
Even if an invasion is necessary, that doesn't mean the perpertrator should be given a peace prize. Necessary could mean in an economic sense, in a military sense (strategic weakening of opponents) and yes, in a protective sense: even if we kill x number of people, we will probably protect the lives of y more. (Or at least y more of *our* citizens, whose lives in our eyes are instrinsically more valuable than those people living in the country we are invading).

All this aside - an invasion is primarily a tool of war. It may be used to create a semblance of peace, but its use will not create a more peaceful world overall.

So yes, I think an invasion by its nature should never get the Peace prize.

Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

quote:
Jack, I think we need a higher standard for a Peace Prize than simply the cessation of hostilities . . . I think the means AND the ends should be considered . . .
No you don't, Tom. That's what I think. Or perhaps reword it to be "a higher standard of peace than simply the ignoring of hostilities."

In theory, terrorists could knock down every building in the country, and we could be weepy and understanding of their plight, and negotiate with them repeatedly and be stabbed in the back continually. From the fields we then lived in, we could call the lack of declared war "peace."

Would this be worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize?

Again, I am not arguing that Bush deserves the award. I don't feel he does. I am arguing that phrases like, "[The use of invasion] may be used to create a semblance of peace, but its use will not create a more peaceful world overall," are silly.

Leaving Hitler alone would not have made a more peaceful world. Even cooperating with him would not have made a more peaceful world, as the Russians learned.

It's irrational to believe every military action, by its very nature, contributes to making the world a more war-torn place.

That would be true if we were talking about some activities--for instance, if we wanted to eliminate organized sporting events, then yes, any time anybody, anywhere, participated in one, it would contribute to the problem.

But war is more like trying to eliminate mail.

Let's say the goal was to cause less mail to circulate than had previously circulated. If you were to discover someone in particular was responsible for a whole bunch of the mail, but all you had for him was an address, you would be forced to use mail to try and stop him. You couldn't help the means, but you would try your best to make sure your mailing was as simple and unobtrusive as you could, while at the same time effective enough to make the other person stop using mail. And perhaps you would, through that letter, try to set up a system wherein you could communicate with them through alternate means in the future, but for now, it really was your only option.

If this mailing was effective, and you were able to communicate from then on via phone and fax, and the person stopped sending out all the mail they had previously sent, wouldn't it be overly simplistic and naive to say that my mailing was bad because it added to the mail? Or would any logical mind say that peice of mail helped reduce the overall volume of mail, and was to be commended?

In other words, I think the means AND the end should be considered.

imogen
Member # 5485

Or you could just kidnap the postman.
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Yeah, yeah, it's not a flawless analogy.

My point still stands.

Besides, "Kidnapping the postman," if the analogy fit, would be eliminating the people who brought the war to your country.

Which is sort of what Bush's homeland security efforts are trying to do.

Are those worthy of an award, even if the invasion is not?

I hardly think so. I don't know how bringing us closer to a police state qualifies as being particularly "peaceful" either.

imogen
Member # 5485

I know it was a silly point. I just thought it was kinda funny.

However, in terms of the analogy I would see 'kidnapping the postman' more as destroying that which enables us to make war: so more destroying weapons and military facilities than attacking people.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Jack, the simple fact is that invading to eliminate a madman is still an invasion. We don't HAVE to give a Peace Prize to somebody, and I believe they should be reserved for those special occasions when the cause of peace is actually advanced through peaceful means.
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Then I think you meant "Blow up the mail truck." [Wink]

Disarmament is obviously the main aim of the Nobel foundation, as evidenced by this rather silly game at their website.

And I think that if enough peace is brought about, then the ends can outweigh the means (not that they always do).

Which means we disagree. As usual.

:Shrugs:

:Smacks everybody friendly high-fives:

:Moves on:

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"And I think that if enough peace is brought about, then the ends can outweigh the means...."

As I pointed out, nuking the entire population of the Earth would bring about a heck of a lot of peace, since there'd be no one left to fight. Since you can't get any MORE peace than that, does that count as an example of the sort you mention?

Mankind
Member # 2672

- posted      Profile for Mankind   Email Mankind         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course not, Tom, don't be silly.

That's why I said we have to weigh the means AND the ends.

In the case of Bush, I'm saying I wouldn't nominate him [now], because all we've seen is means. We have yet to see ends.

The entire effort is about more than just an invasion. There's establishing better infrastucture, setting up some sort of government-by-the-people, the whole "bastion of democracy" objective, all of which will take time and energy and Nobel-worthy effort.

As I pointed out near the start of the thread post war occupations take years; even if the technology of war has improved, human nature hasn't, and it is still difficult to bring about change.

If anything, more troops are dying because Bush is trying to limit the amount of violence done by our troops. He's in the phase where we try to bring about the change without more violence, and he's being critized because he didn't solve more of the problems with his war, or that he somehow stopped his war too prematurely.

So ten years from now, if we've seen that a few months of invasion, and ten years worth of effort and nation building under Bush policy really have brought about change in the levels of violence in the Middle East, then we can start talking Nobel prize for somebody those efforts, invasion or no.

If it turns out that more volitility and instability has been introduced to the region, then the peace effort has been undermined, no matter how justified the initial invasion might have been.

Or maybe we'll need twenty years. Or thirty.

Prematurely giving out awards for things is what got the commitee all the Arafat Egg on their face.

But to answer the question--obviously if the damage inflicted by the "war" effort is greater than the potential damage of the threat it averted--in other words, if we killed hundreds of thousands in our efforts to stop terrorists who kill tens of thousands--then obviously, we're way over the line.

But on the other hand, if a few hundred die in a cause that will save the lives of tens or hundreds of thousands, do we really want to sell their efforts short by implying that they have somehow made the problem worse, as we would do if we automatically disqualified them from the prize?

Posts: 75 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I don't mind if a few hundred people DIE to advance the cause of peace. I mind if a few hundred people KILL to do so.
Mankind
Member # 2672

- posted      Profile for Mankind   Email Mankind         Edit/Delete Post 
Innocents are to swallow whatever they are fed in the interest of "peace?"

That's not peace.

That's a one-sided "cessation of hostilities."

Talk about Orwellian word games.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Your presumption -- which I do not share -- is that peace does not beget peace. I disagree entirely.
imogen
Member # 5485

I'm upset that no-one has commented (even if to groan) on my bad pun in the title.

Hey, it made me chuckle.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.