FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An update for those who care (formerly my moving out thread) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: An update for those who care (formerly my moving out thread)
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Just in clarification:

quote:
BPD can require hospitalization -- it's THAT serious.
Personality disorders in themselves do not warrant hospitalization, no matter how severe. By definition, personality disorders are non-psychotic, as they are merely non-functional (or poorly-functional) ways of interacting with others and dealing with the world. And even with psychosis, only a person who puts herself or another at immediate risk for loss of life or long-term physical damage warrants hospitalization -- that is, it isn't the disorder itself that requires hospitalization, but the immediacy of preventing life-threatening consequences.

Otherwise, all hospitalization must be voluntary, and issues often are best addressed in the outpatient setting, unless immediate consequences present a risk.

By the way, my ex-husband accused me of being crazy when I first tried to leave him. He called up the director of my department and notified both the Chancellor of the University and the police.

The seriousness (and inappropriateness, actually) of these claims was something I tried to address with him in counselling. It was unhelpful. I'd recommend that beatnix address any concerns he haas first in counselling, as there those concerns can be vetted by a professional, rather than broadcasting those concerns to his wife's friends, family, and work. That would likely be unhelpful, too.

It sure won't go a long way toward convincing her that he is a positive force in her life, especially if those claims are motivated out of anger and frustration rather than true concern.

Okay, that's it. I'm stepping out. [Smile] Too close to home, and this is your thread, beatnix. Good luck, and I mean that with all my heart. (And my apologies for TMI about me in your thread for support here, beatnix.)

[ April 23, 2004, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
PsychCentral has a thorough, well-grounded take on hospitalization for BPD:

quote:
Hospitalization
Hospitalization is often a concern with people who suffer from borderline personality disorder because they so often visit hospital emergency rooms and are sometimes seen on inpatient units because of severe depression.

People with this disorder often present in crisis at their local community mental health center, to their therapist, or at the hospital emergency room. While an emergency room is an immediate source of crisis intervention for the patient, it is a costly treatment and regular visits to the E.R. should be discouraged. Instead, patients should be encouraged to find additional social support within their community (including self-help support groups), contact a crisis hotline, or contact their therapist or treating physician directly. Emergency room personnel should be careful not to treat the person with borderline personality disorder in blind conjunction with another set of therapists or doctors who are treating the patient for the same problem at another facility. Every attempt should be made to contact the client's attending physician or primary therapist as soon as possible, even before the administration of medication which may be contraindicated by the primary treatment provider. Crisis management of the immediate problem is usually the key component to effective treatment of this disorder when it presents in a hospital emergency room, with discharge to the patient's usual care provider.

Inpatient treatment often takes the form of medication in conjunction with psychotherapy sessions in groups or individually. *****This is an appropriate treatment option if the person is experiencing extreme difficulties in living and daily functioning. It is, however, relatively rare to be hospitalized in the U.S. for this disorder. Long-term care of the person suffering from borderline personality disorder within a hospital setting is nearly never appropriate.***** The typical inpatient stay for someone with borderline personality disorder in the U.S. is about 3 to 4 weeks, depending upon the person's insurance. Since this treatment is so expensive, it is getting more difficult to obtain. Results of such treatment are also mixed. While it is an excellent way of helping stabilize the client, it is usually too short a time to attain significant changes within the individual's personality makeup. [emphasis added]

As my last BTW, I was never accused of having BPD, but rather depression. Which was true, but which was markedly exacerbated by trying to live with someone who actively undermined my ability to cope and function. On the other hand, I learned how and why it was important for me to insist clearly on having my needs met, and I'm pretty much okay now. I'm certainly much more healthy, and much much happier.

But then, this is beatnix's thread, as I keep reminding myself. I didn't post in detail to you before, beatnix, because I knew this would happen. Arrgh. [Wave] <--- hitting self in head icon [Smile]

[ April 23, 2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.