FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stinky Medicine

Author Topic: Stinky Medicine
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you look up something like that? Anyway, can any of you think of a medicine or any non-toxic substance one might have in the home that reeks?
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] Instant derail: Isn't stinkiness subjective? The stinkiest "medicine" I can think of is camphor, used as a massage oil by some.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
No, that isn't the stinkiest. It is a very strong odor, but you are right, some people consider it pleasant. I recall something, but I can't remember what. I mean, this is something that could actually cause a gag reflex.

And there are some things that are probably universally stinky to humans: rotting flesh being one of them.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
You must be talking about that thick, "orange" vitamin liquid my mom used to make me drink everyday. It certainly illicited the gag reflex.

Actually, penicillin is pretty nasty and makes for some stinky...expulsion.

[ February 09, 2004, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Cod Liver Oil is pretty gross. The first time I was pregnant, everything made me retch. Even ketchup. But I agree with you that some things are universally stinky. Where did I read that the facial expression for disgust was universal, and viewing it stimulates the "bad smell" center of the brain?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was young, and had constant ear infections, my mother always took the pills, mashed them up, and mixed them in with Yogurt. That was the nastiest yogurt - and I do associate a smell with the mixture, but I couldn't tell you what it was.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I had an antibiotic that smelled horribly. It might have been Cipro.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
smelling salts (ammonium carbonate) maybe? In general sulfur compounds smell bad. Mercaptans, such as those given off by skunks and added to natural gas, are thiols and are considered the 'smellest' compounds around.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I recall from my childhood making stink bombs with hermerrhoid medicine (sp? who cares.) But that might've changed by now, or just been that particular brand.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Vicks Vaporub.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

quote:
Anyway, can any of you think of a medicine or any non-toxic substance one might have in the home that reeks?
Choo-hooves, while the dogs are chewing them. They smell like old ham.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

And while I'm on the subject of the dogs... [Smile]
shadowmaker
Member # 6155

- posted      Profile for shadowmaker           Edit/Delete Post 
vaporub isn't too much of a bad smell, it just makes you pass out [Smile]
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
dude, i like the way camphor smells-at least how the tree smells, when a branch is broken. There's an oil???
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
There are medicinal shops in Chinatown that do not smell good. I might have put a 'bad' label with the smell. I don't know what people who haven't been exposed to it would smell.

I don't know who prescribed it but I had to have some a few times. My mom mixed honey in it so it wouldn't be so bad. They're the first things I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Po Chai pills. They fix intestinal problems but you have to gulp them all down really fast (there are about thirty little pills) cause they're nasty. There's a special warning label (DO NOT TAKE WHILE PREGNANT OR NURSING) written in Chinese. They're somewhat stinky.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you ask?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.