FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Monumental Sequence of Stupidity (Even More News Added!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A Monumental Sequence of Stupidity (Even More News Added!)
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Aventis Pasteur Voluntarily Recalls Four Lots of Rabies Vaccine

Guess who made the vaccine she took? [Angst]

It's actually not a problem, and we're not sure her lot was effected, but it did cause a few moments of blind panic while she looked into it, and again while she was explaining it to me.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I was working security at this building once. It was one of those half strip mall half office building type deals with a parking deck. It was also located next to one of the three rivers that join up to become the Rouge River in Detroit and had some woodlands around it. And of course Racoons live in it.

Every once in a while racoons would be seen in the parking deck and one time a mother had her babies in a wall of the building.

Anyway, one day a racoon gets in the stairwell of the building. So it's up to ME to get it out. I'm not scared. I'm a human. I'm tall and powerful compared to this poor little thing. But let me tell you it took a while to get it out of the stairwell.

First I had to close all the doors leading into the building and open the door leading to the outside. I couldn't shoo the thing out the first time and had to back it up all 5 flights of stairs. Once at the top we did this little dance, changing directions so I could now shoo it back down 5 flights to the outside door. [Wink] Needless to say I was very popular with all the ladies for a while.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Incident happened in February --- vaccine recalled in April...

..if she had gotten bad vaccine AND the raccoon had been rabid, she would have known about it by now! She would have had symptoms long ago..

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope bunbun doesn't mind if I bump this.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
well I realize this is an old topic, but there has been a survivor since this happened [Smile]
http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/01/01/rabies.survivor.ap/

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Wow! That is so cool.

Let's hope this turns out to be a viable cure.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting. I'm curious to know how her mind is, and how complete a recovery she makes in terms of mobility and all that.

Sara, if you see a journal article about this, I'd love to know more.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Dag! I never heard this story! That is so scary.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rabid Raccoon Bites Two People

McLean area, Ambergate Pl., 7500 block, 8 a.m. Feb. 9. Animal control officers responded after a raccoon bit a 28-year-old woman outside an apartment complex, but the officers could not find the raccoon. They returned at 1:15 p.m. after the raccoon bit a 10-year-old boy. The animal also chased a TV reporter while the journalist was doing an interview about the biting incidents. The raccoon was located and euthanized. Lab results indicated it had rabies. Both bite victims received rabies inoculations.

We hadn't heard about the TV incident - that's funny.

the coon DID bite the kid? or was that another kid in the complex? And yeah, chasing the reporter is definitely funny.

At a minimum I'd be DEMANDING that the management company pay all her medical bills, not just what insurance doesn't cover. It shouldn't have to go to her insurance in the first place. I'd also be demanding lost wages (and intentionally scheduling administration of the medication when she'll *have* to miss time from work to ensure that part of the loss) plus punitives. The fact that they knew a year ago that there were problems but did nothing sounds like a huge liability issue, and add in that a second person got bitten on the same day and the TV crew got attacked .... I'd be going for everything I could get, and I'd probably look into filing a joint suit with the parents of that 10 year old.

Yep, this one calls for blood...

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

As best we could tell, there were some scratches, and apparently they couldn't tell if it actually bit him, so they had to give him the shots and report it as a bite.

His case was far stronger than Eve's was, since they let 4 hours go by without warning the residents.

Dagonee

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, Goody, it sounds like they need a really smart, aggressive lawyer. Hmmm.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.