FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Well, the head scarf ban passed. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Well, the head scarf ban passed.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you haven't noticed, Dagonee, I don't participate in "having the last word" contests.
No, you just drop into a thread, call people's posts jingoism, post unsubstantiated statements about what people say in specific threads, and then attempt to claim the rhetorical highground by dismissing those who challenge you as starting a '"having the last word" contest.'

Wow, that's even more obnoxious than your "let's make up a conspiracy with absolutely no evidence" game.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Go back to that thread and read what I actually wrote, which merely pointed out curiosities and coincidences hinting at a need for further investigation. Even very interesting data is never a conclusion.
Any conclusion or conspiracy was purely a product of your interpretation of those curiosities.

Reminds me of JonBoy deciding that my pointing out that mini-nukes made the forbidden-line of usage upon tactical targets easier to cross -- which was all I said -- also meant I was opposed to preventing an attack on the US.
Or various posters deciding that my merely providing some background info on the various issues involved in the Afghanistan and Iraq crisises meant either opposition or support on my part.

I am quite capable and willing to voice my opinion strongly and unambiguously whenever I actually have one. However, many times I am too close to swinging in either direction, and merely provide arguments to either and/or both sides of an issue. Heck, I even have a tendency of seeing third, fourth, fifth, etc sides to consider.

Betcha ya still haven't the foggiest clue as to my views on government surveillance of private activities.

[ February 13, 2004, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

And the reason for putting those "curiosities and coincidences" in an utterly unrelated thread was?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Threads drift, just like this one.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Sorry, John L. Went straight to page3 and missed the last two postings on the second page.

Here's a source agreeing with my statement concerning the KluKluxKlan. Use separation as keyword in your EditFind. There are others, just google
"Klu Klux Klan" "Separation of Church and State" Catholic

"No, you finish them, right?"

I guess my statement was a bit misleading: somebody's gotta have the last word, and occasionally that somebody is me. (I've also temporarily killed a couple of fluff threads with jokes of dubious taste, which I had to delete before others decided to continue.) However, I do believe that 'having the last word' is not the same as 'winning a debate'.

What I meant is that I don't engage in circular argument for the sake of "winning".
If I can't provide some new&different facts for fresh consideration, or provide a new link to sufficiently different phrasing from that already posted which might be clearer, I cease posting on the thread.

[ February 14, 2004, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
What I meant is that I don't engage in circular argument for the sake of "winning".
And yet you still refuse to either:

1) point out a post in this thread that said "this couldn't happen in America; or

2) admit that no one said what you said they said.

Dagonee

[ February 14, 2004, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.