FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anybody Watch Enterprise? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anybody Watch Enterprise?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I catch about one in three episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise, and while it isn't my favorite Trek fare ever, I enjoy it well enough. I watched it last night, and it would seem that I've missed something. Who are these new humans that are described as being "two or three years ahead of Starfleet, technologically"? How did they get to Enterprise? Do they have a ship that's fast enough to catch up to Enterprise? I kind of doubt it, since it wasn't featured at all in last night's episode, but who knows?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon,

I have missed the last several episodes (I love the theme song more than the show), however my son watches it religiously, so I just sent your question over to him via IM -- and will get a reply whenever he is out of Physics lab in about an hour or so.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I would watch them, but I have no TV. That's really the only downfall of being in Greece... the definite lack of Enterprise lovin'. [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Have they killed that ridiculous sexpot Vulcan yet and replaced her with an interesting character?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the ad I heard on the radio--no.

They are having sex with the Vulcan instead.

They consider that more interesting.

I won't comment.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
But will they respect her in seven years?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks FarmGirl!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*grins at rivka*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*tries to remember all the other Vulcan jokes she used to know*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
"Ridiculous sexpot Vulcan"? O_o

Is this the same Vulcan who read all her lines like a robot? Gah. I couldn't stand her.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

T'Pal got a makeover over the summer, Jon. Apparently, if you cut a Vulcan woman's hair, Interesting Personality Changes occur.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
What happened with Trip? My mom tried to explain something about an injury and alien DNA, but I don't completely understand.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

But did she learn how to act? That's what I'm concerned about.

Not that I even WATCH the show. But still.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Um, define "act." She's not as stilted anymore -- but she's sure as heck not Vulcan!

Then again, Enterprise has ignored canon on the Vulcans since day one. [Dont Know] [Wall Bash]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I mean "speak in anything other than a flat, mind-numbing monotone."

*sigh*

The Star Trek I grewed up with is gone.

[ February 12, 2004, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, I had high hopes for Enterprise, and I'm a big fan of Scott Bakula. But I can't bring myself to watch it most weeks, now. [Frown]
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Did Jon Boy just say 'grewed up'??

::world ends::

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

RRR, in a previous episode, Trip was badly hurt, and required something--I think it was a transplant of neural tissue in order to survive. Dr. Phlox created a mature clone of him somehow (by injecting Trip's DNA into some alien bit of protoplasm he had floating in a jar in his lab, which over the course of the episode grew into an adult Trip, with all of Trip's memories. The whole dilemma of the show was whether or not this short lived clone should be killed to provide the necessary tissue to bring the original Trip back to life. During the course of the show, the clone fell in love with, and got it on with, T'Pal.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It was an obscure Simpsons reference, Tick.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Noemon,

I totally forgot that because we had plans last night, we missed last night's episode of Enterprise. He usually catches it on the re-run time of Sunday night when he misses Wednesday. So he hasn't seen this episode yet, and can't yet answer the questions you raise. Apparently this is a new development, because nothing you said rang a bell with him.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Enterprise is far from my favorite Star Trek, but I still watch it. I'm a sucker for Star Trek even when it's bad. I taped last night's episode, so I don't know anything about this and I haven't seen anything like that in the past epidodes.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, me too Zan.

The answer is probably in the first 15 minutes of the show then--I tuned in late. Of course, I was also reading a book while I was watching it, so it's possible that the explanation was given while I was in front of the TV, and I just happened to miss it.

Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
This season, ENT is trying something different, by following a single story arc throughout the entire season.

The people who are on board who were stated to be technologically superior are the MACOS - a crack para-military organization set on board to help the Enterprise in their War against the Xindi - a race that killed millions of people on Earth with a TEST/Prototype of a Death Star-esque weapon with which they plan to destroy Earth. The Reason for the Xindi launching this weapon is a mystery, and is one of the main questions of the season.

For reviews and capsule reviews of every episode this season, check out this site: http://www.st-hypertext.com/

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll be catching Enterprise when it replays on Sunday. On Wednesday, we're watching, uh, something else. [Embarrassed]

(Won't say - already lost points for admitting this once.)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
The season finale last year was the one where the Enterprise was called home to Earth after the Xindi attack. Archer convinced Star Fleet Command that the Xindi were still a threat and were located in the Delphic Expanse. Star Fleet outfits the Enterprise with new weapons, equipment and gives them some military personnel, which they don't like at all. They've had a few spats about who was going to do what.

Also, that thing Phlox used to grow another Trip was a Lyssarrian Desert Larvae and that episode was directed by LaVar Burton.

And not only did T'Pol have sex with the Trip Sim, she had sex last night with the real Trip. I wonder how long these two will continue with the booty call sex and insist that they don't like each other.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Sndrake, you were watching That 70s Show?
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks for the explanations guys. So these paramilitary folks have been on the ship before this episode? I guess I just happen to have missed the episodes in which they were featured.
jack
Member # 2083

You missed the season premiere?
Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Noemon,

Not that many points!

Besides, I don't have to watch the show.
I lived it. I even remember some of it. [Razz]

[ February 12, 2004, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I knew about those guys, but just thought of them as space marines. I never considered them to be technologically superior to the Enterprise crew.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I bet sndrake is watching The OC.
jack
Member # 2083

Besides, they needed to add some "red-shirts" before going out into the Delphic Expanse. I mean, with Voyager, they had a huge ship and a crew of hundereds. But Voyager only had like 10 people on board. They wouldn't be able to kill anyone off without cutting crew members. It's not like they could pick up replacement crew out there.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

My son says via IM:
quote:
its funny though, they are supposed to be elite fighters, yet in every episode that they fight aliens on the ship, they miss alot. The main stars of the show hit the bad guys, and the elite people get shot and hit

Farmgirl
sndrake
Member # 4941

**in light of unsubstantiated slanderous allegations regarding viewing habits, sndrake feels himself uncharacteristically sympathetic toward political figures, even ones he wants to get rid of**

[Taunt]

[ February 12, 2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

You know, it's sad, but if anything, this thread is making me even less interested in the show.
zgator
Member # 3833

<points out that sndrake did not deny the allegations>
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
You missed the season premiere?
Yep, apparently so. Besides having only a lukewarm interest in the show, it's also on a station that doesn't always come in so well, so some weeks the reception is just too bad to bother with.
sndrake
Member # 4941

zgator: Allegation officially denied.

What's "OC" stand for, anyway?

Octopus Canyon
Olympic Celebration
Older Citizens
Orange Critters
Oddly Creepy

????????????

Please, tell us about the show. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

It's a prime time soap. It's called Orange County, and even the ADS make me [Angst] !
sndrake
Member # 4941

*sniff*
That's certainly nothing I would watch.

But I will not divulge what I set up to tape tonight so I wouldn't miss it coming home late. And, no, it wasn't Friends.

jack
Member # 2083

See, now I taped :coughAmericanIdolcough: so I could watch Enterprise. Your priorities are all screwed up there, sndrake.
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, T'Pol did NOT have sex with the Trip-Sim. Although she did kiss him before he went to his death in sickbay.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike the way Enterprise portrays the Vulcans. Additionally, the show is much too preachy. I remember watching an episode and thinking "This is about interment camps." The captain then subtly mentioned Manzanar! I think the internment was a Bad Thing (for obvious reasons), but let's not hit people over the head with it! Enterprise has finally made me give up on the Trek franchise. I'll be renting the TNG DVDs ($140/season is way too much, so I won't buy them) and reliving the good old days...

Oh, and I really don't care for the theme song, either...I like all the NASA footage, but give us back those soaring orchestra scores!

[ February 13, 2004, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Shigosei ]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I didn't like the theme song, either. Not Star Trekish enough. The show just wasn't as interesting to me as the other trek shows, either. I haven't seen an episode in a long time, though.

By the way, Sndrake is watching the bachlorette, I bet.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Everytime I watch that show, I feel like I'm watching it in real time. They should stop wasting money on Enterprise and give us a DS9 movie.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Mr.Funny: Have never watched a bachelor or bachelorette show, live or on tape.

[Grumble]

And the abuse mounts...

S'okay - I have tonight's shows to look forward to. [Smile]

zgator
Member # 3833

Was it Survivor, sndrake?
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
were you watching/taped Smallvile/Angel?
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
They should stop wasting money on Enterprise and give us a DS9 movie.
Now, I like Enterprise well enough that I don't want to see it go off the air--although I probably wouldn't miss it if it did--but I would *love* to see a DS9 movie. Not sure how they'd bring all the characters back together for it, and I'd want them to have some temporal anomaly come into play so that Terry Ferrel could return (I really didn't like Dax's second host), but I'd certainly buy a ticket.
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
What Enterprise really needs to do next season is focus on DEVELOPING the characters. This is the show's weakest point - they have characters that have potential to be VERY interesting. They just keep dropping the ball. Hoshi was only really given one good episode this season, and she's one of my favorite characters on the show. They NEED to do more with her. Travis Mayweather they've basically ignored this season - as they do every season except for his contracturally obliged 'Focus Episodes'.

I hope the show's renewed for a new season, because after I graduate (May) I plan on writing a spec script for the show to send out (not for them to necessarily make, but for the purposes of Wannabe-Teleplay-writers-need-to-do-this-to-get-an-agent. I plan to write an ENTERPRISE and a DEAD LIKE ME.)

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.