FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My conservative Republican, Bush supporting, patriotic, Toby Keith-esque view on Iraq

Author Topic: My conservative Republican, Bush supporting, patriotic, Toby Keith-esque view on Iraq
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]
I just wanted to start a thread that you guys would furiously open, flames at the ready, only to be let down and leave unsatisfied.
[Razz]

Ain't I a stinker?

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Toby Keith: Nouveau country, old school aggression put to music.

Can anyone come up with a single way that 'Courtesy of the Red White and Blue' is helping foster good will toward America? Sure it's a catchy tune that many in the armed forces have made their theme-- but do we really want the American way equated with putting footwear up our enemies' collective behinds?

It's HIS type of aggression, more than anything that the Left has said or done that makes me especially leery of this war and the path that we're taking. The celebratory attitude toward violence. . . bleah.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's HIS type of aggression, more than anything that the Left has said or done that makes me especially leery of this war and the path that we're taking.
Wouldn't Toby Keith be considered right wing?
And I don't really care for him either, but hey, at least somebody found a way to make some money off this war.

Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be irony, WA.

[Razz]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
“ Oh, ho, ho, irony! Oh, no, no, we don't get that here. See, uh, people ski topless here while smoking dope, so irony's not really a, a high priority. We haven't had any irony here since about, uh, '83, when I was the only practitioner of it. And I stopped because I was getting tired of being stared at. “
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I know Toby Keith's music makes ME want to shoot something with an M16.

Mostly him, though.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Describing it as a him is an insult to the masculine gender.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, I'll fess up here, I'm a fan of Toby Keith.

*runs out of thread fearing the angry poster who wants to shoot things*

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Man I was readin to come in and say I love you O'douls!

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott R

quote:
Can anyone come up with a single way that 'Courtesy of the Red White and Blue' is helping foster good will toward America? Sure it's a catchy tune that many in the armed forces have made their theme-- but do we really want the American way equated with putting footwear up our enemies' collective behinds?

Yes we really do.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Rhaegar, I dislike anything that adds to the image of the US as a five-year-old boy playing King of the Mountain.

I would so prefer to be the cool Aunt with a dramatic flair, who can dive with Tool and jive with the Temptations, who knows all the neat people and yet would spend time making origami with a lonely little guy next door.

But then, that's just my preference, and there's room in the US for all sorts of ideas. (I just can't get down with the foot-in-the-heinie thing, as it's kind of like ... throwing spitballs, or sniggering at boobies, you know?)

[ February 13, 2004, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
And the Red, White, and Blue song is not nearly as horrible as "Beer For My Horses." Ugh.

Actually, pretty much his whole "Shock 'n Y'all" album makes it embarrassing to be American.

[ February 13, 2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you all prove it. Liberals are just un American. Anyone who criticizes the words to Toby Keith’s Angry American needs to move. Like Darrel Worley’s song says they need to show the images of the towers coming down everyday, because you have forgotten.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I still can't decide if Jay is real or someone else trying to be funny. (And succeeding. [Wink] )
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Well, Jeni, all things are possible.

I am for America, right or wrong: when right, to be kept right, and when wrong, to be put right. That's my duty as a citizen, and hard as it may be, I will give my country the very best I can be.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
I have not forgotten . . . but I'm not sure what the relevance is to this war.
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would so prefer to be the cool Aunt with a dramatic flair
Who do you have in mind CT, RuPaul?
Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Toby has pretty much drifted into "I Suck" land, as has all of country music. Even Dolly's latest bluegrass album sucks because she wrote most of the songs.

I loved the video for Toby's song My List.

Unfortunately, that song was written before 9-11 and everything he's done since smacks (as so eloquently stated before) of some five-year-old throwing a fit.

As much as I hate Natalie Maines for trashing Bush outside of America, the Dixie Chicks' latest album was an absoulutely marvelous creation from start to finish. It even has a Radney Foster song!!!

Oh yeah, and all copies of that Have You Forgotten song need to be put on the next satelite bound for Jupiter.

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
CT = sensible.
I have not heard any of these songs...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Who do you have in mind CT, RuPaul?
I was going more for the Cary Grant sort of vibe, regardless of gender. I chose "Aunt" because I'm at that stage in my life when I identify aunts as intrinsically cool. [Smile]

(Is transsexuality something you found implied in my description, Krankykat, or was it something else about RuPaul which fit particularly well? I'm not understanding you -- and I promise, it's an honest question. Heck, David Bowles strikes me as more fitting the description: he's cool, he's a nice guy, he's witty, and he keeps his cool. But perhaps I still misunderstand?)

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
RuPaul is way too masculine for those deafened by their lust for TobyKeith.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

When I think RuPaul, I think "big blonde cotton-candy hair," then I think "successfulful transexual," neither of which was what I was going for. I think maybe the high arched brow of Sophia Loren, or perhaps the acerbic wit and piercing eyes of Kate Hepburn (who dressed like she didn't care, but in the most careful way, which was totally cool). I still don't get it. [Confused]
Krankykat
Member # 2410

quote:
...who can dive with Tool and jive with the Temptations, who knows all the neat people and yet would spend time making origami with a lonely little guy next door.

Yea CT, implied in your discription could have been Micheal Jackson, too. But RuPaul seems more the Aunty type. (Your BD comments are perplexing, though.)
Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Leonard Cohen, Sean Connery, Pierre Troudeau, Cosima Wagner, Jimmy Stewart, Lauran Bacall, Dorothy Parker, Leonarde DaVinci ... you know, classy with a capital "C." Cool. [Cool]

Admire breasts, lust mightily, dare a quizzical glance that lingers too long = Yes.
Snigger at boobies = No.

Fight the good fight, uphold justice and equity, do the hard task with grace and style = Yes.
Talk about sticking one's shoe up someone's heinie = No.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

So ... Tool is effeminate? Motown is effeminate? Being nice to kids is effeminate? (I don't get it, Kranky. Again, I promise -- not being deliberately obtuse.)

And BD = David Bowles? [Confused] again

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(am I making any sense to anybody? should I lay off the antihistamines? [Smile] )

Edit: Ahhh, Syn gets me. *grin

[ February 13, 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, just to be clear - you're talking about the characters the actors in your list play or played, right? My understanding is that at least one of them does not meet anyone's definition of "classy" in real life.

When I call up a face of "America" - one that has different politics than my own, but I am nonetheless proud of - it's Hank Hill that comes up. [Smile]

(PS - Let me know if your read my response on Greg Pence on the thread I don't want to bump. And when you might feel up to a little follow-up on it.) [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rhaegar the Fool said:
Yes we really do.

No, we really don't.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Yes, characters. Icons/symbols. (I don't know about you, but plenty of famous people would give me the willies in real life.) But the feel of class should be there for my country, even if the reality is still being pursued, you know? Hank Hill is a decent guy. He would Do The Right Thing, even if it's not my right thing. And he'd give Bobby a good talking to if Bobby embarrassed his mom with talk like that. The obsession with propane, though, that's another story. [Wink]

(I will reread the thread. Thanks! My yahoomail is down right now (?), but I eagerly await its return.)

EDIT: Yeah, we'll email. I think you would like him, and I'm certain he'd be interested in hearing your perspective.

PPS: Sean Connery and his crack about women needing to be hit? Just curious. [Smile]

[ February 13, 2004, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hank Hill is cool sometimes. Then he gets a little too hyper patriotic, nagging Bobby over being himself yes-mannish and that annoys me...
But pick up trucks are cool. I wish i had a dark blue one. A Dodge as long as it doesn't guzzle too much gas.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify, Toby Keith has a fairly long career, and many songs that have nothing to do with politics, and many of them are really good.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
CT: Connery made cracks about "justified" hitting of women on more than one occasion. Yeah, he's the one. [Roll Eyes]

Everyone: I'm an unabashed Hank Hill fan. He does his best to do right in a world that seems as bizarre to him as it does to me (although mostly not for the same reasons).

Favorite line from last week's episode (at the risk of ending up in the "out of context" thread):

"It feels good to be able to say 'wiener' again."

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and many of them are really good.
I find it quite frightening that there are people who think this is true.

[ February 13, 2004, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Slash the Berzerker ]

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it quite frightening that there are people who think this is true.

Slash, really it was true. His stuff was great right through the "How Do You Like Me Now" album. He's just a caricature now. Now that his music sucks bigtime, he's a country superstar. Go figure.

Same thing happened to Gary Allan. His first albums were different sounding, right up through "Smoke Rings in the Dark." Now, he sucks, and he's a country superstar. I just don't get it. [Confused]

Luckily for me, I have rediscovered good rock, so I don't miss country at all. [Smile]

BTW, CT, I like your aunt. Can't stand Trudeau, though. I understand where you are coming from. I want to be that person, too. [Smile]

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Fortunately, I never went through that period of madness known as a 'country phase'. Pretty much all of it gives me hives and eardrum blisters.

Twang, steel guitar, and nasally fake southern singing accents are an affront against nature.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Some country music I like. I was being tortured on a road trip once by Celine Dion and Country music
It was the lessor of two evils, I guess. Plus songs like She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy is funny and Just to See You Smile is so cute.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The Magnetic Fields has a great country/road travel album called "Charm of the Highway Strip".

They don't have a southern accent though.

And the lead singer lives in NYC.

And is gay.

*shrugs*

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Dang. I hate men that care more about their trucks than their kids and wives (Watching King of the Hill)
And I still haven't heard any of these songs yet...

lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
um, have you watched King of the Hill, or are you just responding to some stereotype you have of rednecks?
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

CT... being obtuse is usually not deliberate. Perhaps I should have added little smiley faces so you would not have my comments so personally.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

i have watched it a lot, so much that it now annoys me. I saw some old episode with Hank and he seemed to like his truck better than his son.
that is annoying, but I am one to talk since I love music more than almost anything.

odouls268
Member # 2145

quote:
Man I was readin to come in and say I love you O'douls!

Rhaegar

I love you too Rhager. Always have.

And as for Toby keith's lyrics:

"I can't call in sick on Monday when the weekend's been too strong.
I just work straight through the holiday, sometimes all night long.
Now I don't want to die for you but If dying's asked of me, I'll bear that cross with honor, because freedom don't come free. Im an American Soldier."
Toby Keith American Soldier

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

go ro www.tobykeith.com and check out the video for that song. It's very touching. Made me tingle.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Kranky, I'm not hurt, just puzzled. I don't get your train of thought.

Don't worry about the smiley faces. I read you as tongue-in-cheek, anyway.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.