FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I never knew people could have Valentine's day this much...

Author Topic: I never knew people could have Valentine's day this much...
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hindus threaten to beat, shave lovers over Valentine's Day
advertisement

Associated Press
Feb. 12, 2004 07:05 AM

LUCKNOW, India - Hindu nationalists who claim they are fighting against Western cultural influence have threatened to shave young lovers' heads and beat them if they exchange Valentine's Day cards and gifts.

Valentine's Day, which falls on Saturday, has in recent years gained popularity in India - a predominantly Hindu nation whose constitution guarantee freedom of religion.

"The faces of those not heeding our request will be blackened and their heads will be shaved," Ved Prakash Sachchan, of the militant Hindu organization Bajrang Dal, said Thursday in Lucknow, capital of Uttar Pradesh state.

"We will not allow any foreign festival which is a violation of Indian culture."

On Wednesday, another Hindu hard-line group, the Shiv Sena, which is a part of Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, waved bamboo sticks at a rally in Lucknow threatening to beat people who observe Valentine's Day.

"We will not allow westernization of Indian culture as St. Valentine was a Christian and celebrating Valentine's Day would be a violation of Indian culture," Sachchan said.

In the past, Hindu nationalists have accosted young couples and vandalized shops selling Valentine cards and gifts in Indian cities, while police have stood by taking no action.

Traditional Indian society does not approve of public displays of affection between the sexes, including hand-holding, and police often interrupt couples strolling or sitting together in public.

Despite the threats, some people said they would not be dissuaded from celebrating Valentine's Day.

"Such celebrations are not against Hinduism," Gujarat University student Anish Patel Patel said. "I will definitely celebrate Valentine's Day along with my girlfriends."

[Confused]

Maybe it's just me, but I can't understand how people can hate holidays this much to actually go out and hurt people and damage property. What's even more amazing is the fact that the cops are willing to look the other way.

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Such celebrations are not against Hinduism," Gujarat University student Anish Patel Patel said. "I will definitely celebrate Valentine's Day along with my girlfriends."
Girfriends? Talk about flaunting.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Where'd you find that? My Eastern Religions teacher would love to read that.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Who says these eastern religions are all peace, love, and acceptance?

[Wink]

No more than any others, it seems.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a link to this madness?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate extremists...so much.. Imagine hating a holiday that's about love and chocolate.
Am I alone in my irratation with groups of peole who claim to hate something and yet do things that are worse than what they hate?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the link that I got the story from (from azcentral.com):

linky

Kinda makes you wonder how they might handle someone visiting from the West celebrating their own holidays/cultures.

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.