FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is the Ivory Tower really any different from any other community? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is the Ivory Tower really any different from any other community?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Does being concerned with eliminating bias produce the ability to do so?

Concerning the humanities, btw, I am not at ALL convinced that true open-mindedness is valued. Toeing a left-wing agenda is just as biased as toeing a right-wing one.

Tom: I guess it was the less likely, then. Less likely than what? *honestly curious*

[ February 13, 2004, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Stormy thinks I'm special! [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
*whew*

You know, for a second there, I wasn't sure if my patented blend of witty sarcasm, knee-slapping humor, and subtle understatement was going to get any mentions.

Thanks, Advice!

[Hat]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Twink hit the nail dead on the head. He's an engineer because that is something where he not only has learned and is learning, but is applying it to something more than himself. With art, no matter what kind of art, it isn't so much a matter of applying to something greater, but performing a service that is inherently pretentious when it involves self-glorification. And in today's world, that's all art ever is any more. There are damn few who avoid basking in this, and even those have a pretentious streak that they just can't help. The "intellegentsia" is much the same, because it engages in self-affirmation and redundant discussions in a circular pattern. It's like I said over at GreNME regarding the same thing: it's all about learning to be the best at self-affirming, through whatever the chosen means. Sure, it's similar in structure to the rest of the world, but it is not the same. It's almost a parallell universe, of sorts, where the only things that matter are what's written (or said), who wrote (or said) it, and where whomever wrote (or said) it came (comes) from.

So, is the "Ivory Tower" really that different? No, it's a pissing contest, just like everything else. Is it the same as the "real world?" No, because it's a product of the "real world," not a commentary or guide or inspiration for it.

Oh, and I dislike the "intellectual" community quite openly and vehemently. They won't let me in because I'm a big fat bully. [Wink]

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.