FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are you Dixie or Yankee? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are you Dixie or Yankee?
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Check you dialect to see if you've crossed over to the "other side"

Heed their warning not to click on other answers and to refresh the test if you need to change. (I turned up Yankee the first time...heaven forbid!)

95% Dixie...my dad would be so proud!

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
45% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

I think it may have been confused by the fact I've live around people from all over(military). And have lived a few distinct places myself.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
60% (Dixie) Barely into the Dixie category

See? Florida is not a southern state.

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad] 63% Dixie

I'm NOT a Southerner. Not.

In fact, most of my answers seemed to favor the North, so I don't understand what happened.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 47% Yankee -- i.e. barely Yankee.

Unsurprisingly, five of my answers are "centered heavily on the Great Lakes region" -- which is, as we all know, the only REAL region.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
73%

Florida is a southern state.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
53% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

Hmmm... a Canadian who is a Dixie. Me wonders about this test [Wink]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

No, zgator. Florida is a wannabe northern state. [Razz]
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
72% Dixie

I suppose that makes sense for a person hailing from Northern Virginia, and who is 1/2 Southerner geneticly.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

As long as nobody suggests that Florida is a wannabe Great Lakes region state, I'm OK.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Maybe it's just because I grew up in Tampa.
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
52%

Not surprising, since I've spent 5 years of my life in the SE, 5 in the NW, 3 in the MW, 7 in the SE, and 5 in the NE.

But I've never lived in the Great Lakes region, which seemed to be where most of my choices were described as being from. *shrug*

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
45%
I don't like the last question, because I've never heard of any of them. And on most of them there are several answers I could pick.
For number 7 I need one of the choices to be "Hey! You! Yeah, all of You!" [Smile]
Hmmm... I just took it again, got more responses as Northeast, and am now 52%

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also 47% Yankee, which is surprising since I grew up in Virginia (and not near Washington, either).

But my parents are both from the Bronx, so it makes sense.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I'm pretty sure I used "crayfish", "crawfish", and "crawdads" in the same conversation at one point in my life, much to the confusion of the silly Californians who had no idea what any of them were.

And I rotate between "roly-poly" and "pillbug" depending on how unsophisticated I feel like sounding.

And I disagree that tennis shoes, running shoes, and sneakers are one in the same. Sneakers are lounging shoes, tennis shoes are for athletics (minus running), and running shoes are super-light low-tops.

But what the hell...

*hoists Confederate flag*

Yeeeeha!

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tzadik
Member # 5825

- posted      Profile for Tzadik   Email Tzadik         Edit/Delete Post 
54% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.
pretty good for an european dude [Wink]

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I think it's a testament to the greatness of tennis as a sport that one of the generic terms for athletic shoes is tennis shoes.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
60% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

All the answers that were not Dixie belonged to the Great Lakes region. I think... spending a year and a half doing nothing but talking to Michiganders affected my speech more than I thought.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
45%
Though I don't know why so many of mine said Great Lakes. My mom is from Utah. My dad learned English as an adult, but never lived in the great lakes area. Though my husband's father was from Iowa.

If this test were for my dad, it would include these questions:
What do you put a hot pan on?
a Travix

What is a kid that complains about a sibling?
A tittle tat

But I think but of these usages were in moments of stress.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

No, I think it's the skirts that make tennis a great sport.
Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
Michiganders
Is that really what they call themselves?

I'd just call myself a "Mich".

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yankees don't have a cool yell. We just have eYaagh.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Born and bred New Englander... And I got slightly _Dixie_. Part of this is because my speech is largely vanilla, though I identified (and used to use) many of the northeastern terms, and partially because I'd never seen the bug in the last question, and it didn't have an opt out answer.

It seemed a few of my SE US answers were weighted more strongly than my NE US answers...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Oh, and I think they have their "pajamas" answer messed up. I've never heard anyone around here say it as paJAMas, as opposed to the other option.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I do admit that I look good in a skirt, but I don't think it's fair to say that's what makes tennis great.
katharina
Member # 827

Frisco: I couldn't make that up. I'd never be so cruel.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
65% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!
I should've been more southern! [Frown]

Apparently a lot of the stuff I say is midwestern. [Dont Know] I kinda thought more stuff would be northern, since that's where my family and a lot of people I know are from. But I'm a real southerner! Honest!

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I think the answers are heavily midwestern. There's a possible "you are from the midwest/Great Lakes" answer to almost every question.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
100% (Dixie). Is General Lee your father?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banna_Oj
Member # 6207

- posted      Profile for Banna_Oj   Email Banna_Oj         Edit/Delete Post 
57% dixie. This doesn't surprise me since most of the words I learned from my mother who is definitely Dixie.

AJ

Posts: 79 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
44%. "Barely into the Yankee category." Not too surprising, considering I'm from a town on the PA border with Maryland.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*stretches in satisfaction* I'm still a Chicago girl at heart. Three of my answers specifically said "Chicago" while a bunch of others said "Great Lakes etc." [Smile] That makes me happy.

45% Yankee, barely Yankee.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
65% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

Aw... too bad. Bernard and Correlle must be rubbing off on me. I'll bet my father would have a larger score.

::giggles slightly:: Beer thru. We call those just 'drive thrus' here.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
86% (Dixie). Did you have any Confederate ancestors?

What can I say? My mother's mother's mother came from Ohio. We're new here. Almost yankees.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I've never heard anyone around here say it as paJAMas, as opposed to the other option."

Wow. Everyone I know says "paJAMas." Except my mom, who's from Boston and says "paJAHMas."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I took it again, answering the other way on one that was so borderline I couldn't decide the first time (caramel). I finally decided that I'm saying three syllables, you just can't hear them. Anyway, when I did that it came out 92% (Dixie). (Is General Lee your father?) So that's a lot better.

The one I didn't feel was true was the route thing. I say paper route (rhymes with out) and my friend from the northeast says paper "root". Yet it said my way was most common to the Northeast US. Is that true? How do you pronounce route, and where are you from?

I had no idea that people from other parts of the country didn't call it rolling a yard. <laughs> Would you understand what was meant when that term was used, at least? Most of them were like that for me. That I would have chosen a different word (sack for bag, for instance) but understand and recognize that people in the rest of the country don't say it that way.

A paper sack is the ordinary thing to call it around here, though some people do say bag. (To me, a bag implies something softer and less square.) But I know that if I'm traveling and I ask for a sack for my purchases in a convenience store, they will not understand what I have asked. <laughs> I know this but I have a hard time remembering which it is I'm supposed to not say.

I love stuff like this. I love learning about regional variations in language. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
68% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

[Confused] The majority of my life has been lived in upstate New York. Another 5 years in Denver. Been living in the Chicago area since September 1997.

Maybe it's all the southerners here on Hatrack.

Y'all are having an effect on me. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
52% Dixie.

::shrug::

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I had no idea that people from other parts of the country didn't call it rolling a yard."

In fact, I've NEVER heard it called that; I would have been baffled if someone used the phrase. [Smile]

screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Barely Dixie. 59%

Raised in Virginia, lived in Kansas for 36 years.

And it is CRAY FISH, not CRAW DAD....so there.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
It is SO crawdad.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
61% dixie. Sounds about right...I was raised there but have lived all over...tons of different influences.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Anti-Chris

"It is SO crawdad."

Oh, yeah? You wanna make somethin of it? [Big Grin]

Seriously...
Isn't midwestern American English about as close as we come in this country to having a standard, television announcer type, of spoken language?

edited to add a word

[ February 20, 2004, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: screechowl ]

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Yes. The Midwestern dialect is considered pretty close to neutral.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
58% Dixie. Well, Missiouri is a border state, meaning we agreed with the southerners during the civil war, but didn't have the desire to fight with them.

(Actually, in Missouri, the tension was so great during the Civil War that 1/3 of the population left or died as pro union forces and pro-rebel forces shot at anyone they disagreed with)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
48% yankee. Which to me says that I'm neither. I'm a Westerner. We get neglected, because we have lower population (except California, which is no more Western than Florida is Southern). But our speech patterns tend to be more "standard" and "normal," unless you actually grew up on a ranch. Or in Cache Valley, Utah.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Tom, exactly! But if you choose paJAHMas (as I did), you get a SE US bias!

Umm, really?

-Bok

screechowl
Member # 2651

Interesting thread.
I emailed the link to the faculty and they should have some fun with it. Rural Kansans, you know. Wonder what they will be?

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
100% Dixie. Now my parents won't try to kill me for not waving a Texas flag everywhere I go eh? Feeder roads is local to Houston, which I didn't realize. Has nobody ever known what I was talking about when I say that all these years? Guess thats what happens when you grow up in Houston.
Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
53% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.
*giggles* I guess SoCal and Southern NJ do count, at least a little.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.