FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Some Random Rants.

Author Topic: Some Random Rants.
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Movies with horses in them:
Actors should not be allowed on horses, unless they know how to ride. Yes, whipping a horse's head around so his head hits your knee is dramatic, but it hurts his mouth. THat's why horses in movies so often have thier mouths open, they're evading the bit.

Specific movies:

Hidalgo: Haven't even SEEN this one yet, and I know I'm going to have problems. Not with viggo's riding, but the premise of the movie in general. There's no way a mustang can stand up in a 3,000 mile race to arabs, in a desert. It's NOT possible. And that true story stuff is crap. THe guy was a fraud. Just cause it's an OLD story doesn't make it true.

TTT: The Rohirrim and Brego. First of all, you do NOT stuff a horse you can't control into a tie stall. It's dangrous for the people around him, and it's dangerous for the horse. Second, pulling down on a rearing horse is the BEST way to make him flip over and kill himself. Third, releasing a horse with a rope attached to his halter is a sure way to snap a leg, or pull a muscle.
the Rohirrim are horsemen. They ought to know these things. Aragorn doesn't really even need reins, if he can be all elfy with the horse. Even if he does need reins, wouldn't it make sense that a ranger would have some rope with him?

FOTR: Why are the ringwraith's horses bay? couldn't they find ANY black horses?

Ok, so not so random. I had other rants, but I've forgotten them. I'll post them as they come back to me.

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
I found out the other day that Mr. Ed really can't talk, that they in fact implanted electric impulses into his horse lips to simulate talking.

[Mad]

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I might disagree somewhat on Hidalgo, based on the possible arab ancestry in the Mustang, as we've discussed before, but I totally agree with you on the other two.

For all the "Nordic" type research they did on Rorrhim details the horsemanship they actually had in the script was pretty bad. I cringed horribly when the rope was still dragging on the horse. They always do that stupid rearing thing in all the movies though.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
How much was there "wrong" in Seabiscuit? (I haven't actually seen it yet)

And what do you think of the horsemanship in "The Man from Snowy River", "The Return to Snowy River" and "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken?"

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capoeirista
Member # 6233

- posted      Profile for Capoeirista   Email Capoeirista         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Trogdor the burninator- I found out the other day that Mr. Ed really can't talk, that they in fact implanted electric impulses into his horse lips to simulate talking.
I heard that they just put peanut butter on the top of his mouth and the licking motion looked like he was talking
Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
At least they didn't take Bill the pony into the mines.

p.s. I know this is a bit off topic, but how did Gandalf fall faster in order to catch the Balrog?

[ February 23, 2004, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

I've heard a bunch of different rumors about that, Pat. One says they put peanut butter under his lip (not too mean), another says they used fishing line under his lip and moved it(meaner). THe fishing line one sounds more plausible to me, since horses have such long tongues, I'd think he could just lick it out from under his lip. BUt the electric shock thing sounds like it might work, too.

Oh! thought of another rant.
I love how people get very upset that some animals get routinely abused, but don't mention horses very often. I mean, we sit on thier backs, and yank them around by a metal bar in thier mouths. What's more abusive than that?

some welfare stuff:

People get VERY squicked out by talking about slaughter, when most of the time it's the transportation and handling BEFORE the animals are slaughtered that causes the most stress. Both cattle and pigs are stunned, not just hacked into peices. My advisor is doing a study on people's persceptions of production agriculture, including slaughter, I'm very interested to see the results.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
kwsni

you missed the part that bugged me the most - every time I viewed it:

TTT - at the end of the battle of Helm's Deep - when Gandalf shows up with the other army -- cinematographers had those horses going straight downhill at an impossible angle to be real, charging into Helm's deep.

I say something about it everytime I see it, and everyone just tells me to shut up.

Farmgirl
(fellow horse owner and lover)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.thelongridersguild.com/hopkins.htm
Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka-- he went head first, reducing drag. Skydivers do that, especially the stunt divers. Funny, but you can control your speed (within limits) by how you position your body.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
p.s. I know this is a bit off topic, but how did Gandalf fall faster in order to catch the Balrog?
Pooka, I'm sure there's a great scientific explanation involving aerodynamics, but I don't have it. But I have seen skydivers do the same thing. When their bodies are flattened out wide their fall is slower. When they straighten out their body and go head first they fall faster.

edit: Bah! Olivet beat me to it! [Razz]

[ February 23, 2004, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Javert ]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I just enjoy watching the outtakes from movies with horse riding in them, especially when the stars can't ride. Just watch the extras from The Mummy Returns.. (laughs just thinking about it) Ahhh... Classic.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

Banna, I just don't think that a mustang, with thier arab blood diluted because of thier andilusian ancestors, and a full blood arab, are going to have the same resistance to heat, or endurance. Andilusions were bred to carry men in armor. Not as much armor as other war horses, but they're not built for speed or resistance to heat.

Say the particular herd that Hidalgo comes from lives in the desert, and has for hundreds of years. The arab breed was well established at least a thousand years ago. Breeding orchestrated by humans moves MUCH faster than breeding orchestrated by evolution.

I've also been thinking about muscle shape. Arabs have very flat muscles, that's what gives them thier sleek shape. Flat muscles let the heat generated by the muscle escape quicker. Now, mustangs, with some, but not ALL arab blood, have rounder muscles, which tend to get too hot in the middle, and make the horse overheat more quickly.

some links:
Frank hopkins hoax
Mustang info
andalusian info

arabian info

My favorite proffessor says Man from Snowy River is the best horse movie ever made, but I haven't seen it, so I can't comment.

Seabiscuit was mostly right. I had a little trouble with the about of time it took the horse to recover from a major ligament injury, but that was about it.

FG: yeah, those horses would have thier noses in the dirt.

Ni!

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
"If you're wondering how he eats and breathes, and other science facts,
Just repeat to yourself 'it's just a show, I should really just relax'..."

[Wink]

You guys think too much during movies.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
You know what I always wonder about during movies:

Don't they ever have to go to the bathroom?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
No. The actors go before the trailers start, just like everyone else.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Aragorn must have been squeezing it in by the time he kissed Arwen. No wonder actors always look a little yellow on screen.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

You know, that big ledge on top of Minas Tirith must have been a great place to see how far you could...you know. Especially with the wind at your back.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

But think of all the innocent townsfolk below! [Angst]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
They were innocent, before the Rain of Evil began.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*snort*
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Heck, who cares about a few cherry pits landing on them? Why, what did you think I meant?

LOL, Rain of Evil! That'll teach you not to stand downwind from the ledge!

[ February 23, 2004, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka: [ROFL] [Hail]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.