FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jatra-kama-cago Con (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Jatra-kama-cago Con
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm giving a good friend a ride to Indianapolis (not too far out of my way...) so, yeah, you could jump in with me after I drop her off.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Pssh, forget you. I can't sing worth beans.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I haven't absolutely decided whether or not to bring the other 2 kiddies.
Boon, your other two kiddies are wonderful. I hope they get to come. Of course, if you were hoping this was going to be a break for a day or so...

Can't wait to meet the new arrival!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to jump in and say I'm already in the Chicago area and will be willing to help make arrangements on this end. I'm not sure yet if I'll be in town when it happens. There's a possibility I'll be going to Germany for a trip this summer.

I figure I'll just commute in and out - I'm mostly looking forward to hanging out with people. Definitely not a dancer of any kind - and Diane's the only singer in the family - she actually recorded a tape that still sells. (It's a specialty market, though.)

AJ and whomever - let me know what I can do.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Well, if I do bring my older kids, I'll be bringing my dad too...who happens to have a professional Karaoke setup including over $5000 worth of CDs. Remember, it doesn't matter how well you can (or can't) carry a tune, just that you share your voice! [Big Grin]
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

You say that now...
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Swing dancing again. Or ballroom. Or both.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

I don't remember if it's come up, but people should be aware that Chicago has some of the best jazz and blues talent in the country. Lots of clubs to go to for pretty cheap.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
<------ is an excellent lindy hopper, if we swing towards swinging

We also MUST have a Hatrack talent show. This can include karaoke. [Smile]

And whether it's scheduled or not, I'll be spending obscene amounts of time at the Art Institute and Field Museum.

If we want real Chicago pizza, I reccommend Gino's (downtown) where you can write on the walls!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

Annie, I'm pretty sure that a talent show would actually DISINCLUDE kareoke.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure the karaoke has Desperado on it. That's like the universal donor of songs. ANYONE can sing that.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Bob, he does. The database I have has 1500 songs, but it hasn't been updated since June. I'd guess he has at least 2200 different songs by now.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon, that'd be great, thank you so much. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be up for the blues and jazz bars! I had a great time at those bars in NYC and at Larry's here in Seattle!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Da Blues.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't really matter what you guys do, I'll probably still be travelling on my European passport and find myself stopped at the boarder and then deported to Scotland.

Woo! Free trip to Scotland! Ach!

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of keeping the talent show and kareoke separate.

Because of what Nathan said. The talent show is for those who have something to show off. Kareoke would be... much more relaxed. [Smile] Maybe just an open mike night? That would cover everything.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

I'm really hoping I get to be in town when this happens. I also want to be clear I'm just throwing out options for people. I live here. So as far as I'm concerned, I'll go with what out-of-towners have as their priorities.

Heck, I even understand the popularity of the Sears Tower. I've been there. Once. Can't laugh at the urge I've felt myself. [Smile]

Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Vacation time has been approved. Tickets have not yet been bought, but they are in the works.

Karaoke would be great. Boon, if the collection includes "From this Moment On" from Shania Twain (duet version), you all might get to hear a Mama and Pop duet (we sang it at our wedding reception).

Definitely a Cubs game. I would never forgive myself if I spent time in Chicago without taking in a game.

-Mama

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Make sure the karaoke has Desperado on it. That's like the universal donor of songs. ANYONE can sing that.
It would be cool to hear someone sing that song like Elmer Fudd. "Deeespuhwaaaaaaaaaaaahdoooooooooo..."
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute, WHEN exactly is this gathering?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
August 13-15
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
We on for NYC, Kama?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I'm trying to look for hotels closer in to the city. I'm searching on the travel engines. Clearly with 30+ people we should be able to negotiate some discounts but I doubt it would be more than $10.

So far hotels in the nearer suburbs are running about $80/night for quadruple occupancy. 80/4=20 20*2 is $40 which isn't really horrid. But being personally cheap that is more than I'd like to pay. And when we start looking at a family with little ones that means it would be $160 for two nights for the Meese.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I know that hostels in NYC have 16-bed dorms for pretty cheap.

Maybe the same in Chicago for those of us with lower lodging requirements? [Smile]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure we are, Frisco.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Probably the best place to go other than Arlington Heights would be directly around O'Hare though other than the hotels, that is a fairly grubby industrial area with the plane exhaust and everything. But, it has extremely easy access into the city.

The O'Hare Ramada is $68/night for quad occupancy.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Did you decide on coming before or after the Con?

Email me sometime, or my super-secret AIM SN is FriscoGoneWild.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I need feedback here, how much will you (any Jatraquero) actually be able to afford for the lodging?

I'll look for hostels too. But hostels probably won't have the meeting rooms that everyone with previous experience agrees are necessary.

AJ

Frisco
Member # 3765

True, and I don't think I'd want to miss out on any of the antics by being split from the group.

Quads aren't bad, anyway.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

The hostels are all in relatively decent locations relative to downtown. However you are looking there at $20-$25 per person per night, in a mostly dormatory setting, sometimes you are sharing a bed. Several do have a "community" room and all appear to encourage group reservations.

But the price break isn't that much different. The difference would be that we would be much closer to the "heart" of Chicago than in hotel in a near suburb.

opinions?

AJ
http://www.hostelnewyork.com/findabed.php/ChosenCity.Chicago/ChosenCountry.USA

[ February 26, 2004, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Boon
unregistered

My opinion? Ummm...meeting rooms are a MUST, and I think smaller rooms would be better, especially for those of us with kids.

Also, I'll be driving my van, which has 7 seat belts, and we could squeeze in a few more if we needed to. It's a big Ford E-150 Econoline. [Big Grin]

I can understand not being able to afford the Hilton, but surely there's some sort of compromise? I don't think $250 for the 3 nights I plan to be there is totally unreasonable, and I have no objections to people camping out on my hotel room floor. Just don't expect me to give up the bed!!! [Razz]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Even the Motel 6s are running $50-$60 per night for quad occupancy in the sububurbs, and not many of them have meeting rooms.

AJ

Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

So.... many..... people.... ::panicky::

::deep breaths::

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
don't worry, kid, i got your back.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*pat pats Nathan* It's okay, sweetie. We'll keep the dance to a closed set.

Added: Heh. celia, I'm willing to take a shift. Just let me know. *twinkles*

[ February 26, 2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

*hoses kat down with silly string*

see?

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*tosses a pillow at celia*
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

5 more posts celia. Don't let it slip past.
celia60
Member # 2039

i know, i need jon to start posting so i can take part in the tradition.
celia60
Member # 2039

by the way, when i get to 2999, i'm swapping to thunder's core and using it until you swap back to T_Smith. for all celia posts. even the ones where i blatantly flirt. even the ones on the gay marriage threads.

two more posts [Wink]

celia600
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for celia600           Edit/Delete Post 
go on. make my day.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Oh, please. Like you dressed up as me can do me nearly the character damage of me dressed up as you.

1 more.

edit: 2003? wow, that's planning!

[ February 26, 2004, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

celia600
Member # 5605

- posted      Profile for celia600           Edit/Delete Post 
darn, i hate it when you're right.

edit:
ya, tell me about it.

[ February 26, 2004, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: celia600 ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

why don't you be a good boy and hand that name over before i am forced to do something we'll both regret.

[Smile]

Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

But... but... [Frown]
Thunder's Core Smith
Member # 6234

- posted      Profile for Thunder's Core Smith   Email Thunder's Core Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm...new name smell.

Don't it just make you tingly?

Posts: 40 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*thwaps celia* You've derailed my thread! That was the problem with the last one and why it got unmanageable.

Don't worry, I still love you!
[Wink]
AJ

Thunder's Core Smith
Member # 6234

- posted      Profile for Thunder's Core Smith   Email Thunder's Core Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan started it!

[Monkeys]

Posts: 40 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to point out that Jatra-kama-cago-con is a brilliant name for it. [Smile]
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.