FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Another Abortion Thread

Author Topic: Another Abortion Thread
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I usually stay away from political topics since I am not much of a debater, but I heard something interesting today I thought I would throw out there.

A co-worker recently moved his girlfriend to the US from Japan and married her. Her best friend is still in Japan. The friend is 3 months pregnant. Now I don't know if this is the case because she is already 3 months or not, but to get an abortion she is required to file a death certificate and hold (and attend) a funeral for the baby. To have the death certificate, I assume that means she must name the baby. I guess this is one way for the government to discourage abortions.

I could not find any links to back this up. I don't know if this is only her area of Japan or all of Japan.

What do you think would happen if the US required this for all women having abortions?

-Mama

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
The law is in itself hypocritical. I can understand the point of it, but either the fetus is human or it's not.

Anyway, this kind of law should never pass in the USA for being unconstitutional. Making people hold a funeral is cruel and unusual punishment.
(((Mama Squirrel )))

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt anything like that would ever pass in the US. I mean, can't even full-grown adults that die naturally ask in their will to not have a funeral for them?
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read that in Japan they make altars for aborted fetuses.
Which is somewhat interesting.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about this too.

Actually, my grandmother opted not to have a funeral or obituary. Instead, we cremated her and had a priest bless her ashes on her birthday, where we had a small memorial service.

She's sitting on my bookcase.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.