FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Songs everybody knows

Author Topic: Songs everybody knows
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
preferably ones people enjoy singing too, not just annoying ones. We want to have a singing time with cookies in the kitchen of our dorm, but I need a list of songs everybody knows-since my knowledge of music is abnormal in the extreme, I have NO idea what songs people would know-yall have any ideas???
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
you can't fail with the supremes. singing, you can't hurry love or stop in the name of love.
Classic songs are known by all!
Like the Shoop Shoop song that is In his kiss
i'll think of some more...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Lean on Me

A bunch of old TV Themes:
Flintstones
Brady Bunch

Cole Porter songs:
I Get a Kick Out of You
Wunderbar

Sound of Music and Fiddler on the Roof soundtracks

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wunderbar?

um, you do realize this is a college dorm.....?

I was thinking more along the lines of "Tubthumping"

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking songs everyone knows. [Blushing]

I've never heard of "Tubthumping"

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Toretha, are you talking about radio songs from the 90's? From the 00's?

Here are some "alternative" songs from my playlist that are sing-along-able....

"Love Shack" by B-52's
"Distance" by Cake
lots of U2 songs like "When Love Comes To Town" or "Pride (In the Name of Love")
"Come on Eileen"
"Mrs Robinson"

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody knows and loves "Sweet Child of Mine".

If they tell you differently, they're lying.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
The jingle from the "Meow Mix" commercials
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I was part of a sing-a-long around a campfire, it ended up all being TV theme songs (Gilligan's Island, and Beverly Hillbillies) and commercial jingles, etc.

And that was fun.

Some Beatles tunes are almost world-wide known. (We all live in a yellow submarine)

Kind of depends on the ages of the group, and what they have been exposed to, though. I know all the Mitch Miller songs, without having lived through that era, because my grandma played them constantly.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago, some educational group (perhaps a music education group) came out with a list of 100 or so songs that every American should know. Part of the point was that any child who doesn't know a good number of those songs has not been adequately educated.

Does anyone remember this list? Does anyone know where I can find it? I just remember that, although I consider myself a musician and quite music-literate, there were quite a few songs on the list that I didn't know.

Edit: I found a version of the list. It's at this page. It was originally released in 1996 by the Music Educators National Conference.

[ February 26, 2004, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raphael
Member # 5870

- posted      Profile for raphael   Email raphael         Edit/Delete Post 
try disney songs.
anyone who doesn't know them definitly had a deprived childhood.

Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas songs tend to be pretty well-known, at least in North America.
Happy Birthday To You
The ABC song/Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star/Baa Baa Black Sheep

Uhhh...
Every Breath You Take
American Pie
Piano Man
Stairway to Heaven

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
"Bohemian Rhapsody", definitely.

Maybe "Mony, Mony".

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Cecilia leaps to mind. Everybody seems to know that one, and have fun singing it.

Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard is a fun one to sing along to, but it isn't as well know.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Be Thankful For What You Got
by William Devaughn

"Though you may not drive a great big Cadillac"

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Bohemian Rhapsody is a good one. Which gets me thinking about other songs sung in movies:

Tiny Dancer (Almost Famous)

Well, I can think of others (from Armageddon, Congo), but they're not as good as Tiny Dancer.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.