FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is this really appropriate for a school paper? - Warning, this has an adult theme (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is this really appropriate for a school paper? - Warning, this has an adult theme
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
During my frosh week, our campus paper, Imprint (which is a rag anyway, but that's a different story), published a "how-to" guide to sex in the dorm rooms. It featured silly-looking cartoon figures, fully clothed, and the advice was more comical than graphic. Nonetheless, it was banned in the residences, mostly because of the fact that that was the area that the parents of the frosh would be moving abouts in. It was a hot issue on campus at the time, but I think msot people have long since forgotten about it by now.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I once drew a cartoon for the high school newspaper that showed the librarians playing cards. A librarian was peeking her head through the door saying, "Count me in on the next hand! Billy came in with a book 12 weeks overdue!"

The caption read, "Ever wonder what happens with those overdue library fines?"

The cartoon wasn't allowed to run, because it was deemed 'too controversial' [Grumble]

[ February 27, 2004, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a shame, Taal, because that's hilarious! [Big Grin]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, I'm horrified by such a display of evil from Nathan!

Interesting about the Salina HS paper Farmgirl. I assumed that you were linking to a story about the hubub surrounding something similar in the newspapers put out by bothLawrence (KS) highschools.

[ February 27, 2004, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunder's Core Smith
Member # 6234

- posted      Profile for Thunder's Core Smith   Email Thunder's Core Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 40 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
And here I always thought I was living in the Conservative Christian capitol of the world by living in Kansas!

Of course, I'm not that surprised by the Lawrence high schools. After all, Lawrence is home to the University of Kansas, which has a massive school of Journalism, and at the University level, they like pushing the limits quite a bit (I say this as a former student there, so I know). No doubt some of that daring and mindset trickled down to the local high school.

But the Salina high school event truly was a shock, as Tstorm pointed out.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

T. Core-- [Smile]

Yeah, I'm not surprised by the Lawrence schools' papers doing something like this either--a lot of my friends worked on the paper when I was at LHS, and I'd say it was headed this direction at that point.

But Salina?!

By the way, for a piece of Kansas triva (which will be interesting only to FarmGirl, screechowl, T-Storm, and myself), do you know why Winfield, KS doesn't have any liquor stores?

[ February 27, 2004, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Noeman - No, and I probably should know that trivia. I'll bet it's in my book, which I have no time to consult right now.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Anybody else? FarmGirl? Screechowl?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have anything to do with winning the first prize in a 1915 model town contest?

(Dang, Kansas is scary. Check out May 4, 1873. [Angst] )

[Ahhh, found it. I'll let you break the story, Noemon.]

[ February 27, 2004, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Angst]

Holy crap CT!

You know, I went to school with a guy named "Bender" He was *really* bad news, if I recall. The sort of person I could have imagined growning up and doing something like that. I wonder if these Benders were his ancestors?

In answer to your question, Nope!

Noemon
Member # 1115

No, you go ahead CT! You found the answer, you get to post it!
Noemon
Member # 1115

Where did you find it, by the way?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I wasn't paying attention, Noemon.

I thought liquor was a county-by-county decision, and Winfield was a "dry" county.

But there must be something more to the story if your posting it here! [Wink]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Then, perhaps it was the fear of drunken clerks:

quote:
Winfield Courier, August 23, 1883.

YOUNG MEN WHO DRINK.

We notice that the businessmen of this city who don't believe in prohibition and think moderate drinking is all right, don't keep their clerks and employees very long after they get to drinking. Several clerks have been discharged because they drank. Men who drink and get drunk sometimes, do not want drinking clerks. They know the other vices always follow in the wake of a drink, and it may not take a drinking young man long to become a gambler and a thief. We have had occasion to ask businessmen to give employment to young men as clerks, and usually almost the first question asked is: "Does he drink?" Recently a young man who we would be glad to assist, asked us to give him a letter recommending him as a salesman to a friend of ours. We could not recommend him because we knew he drank and sometimes got on a spree.

Actually, I have unearthed that Winfield is the hometown of someone special. But in my ongoing quest to reveal Kansas as the den of iniquity which it is, I read about this crime spree:

quote:
Winfield Courier, August 23, 1883.

CHERRYVALE ROBBERY AND ARSON.

We have a sensational report from Cherryvale about the robbery, and burning, about two weeks ago, of the residence of Conductor Titus. Last Saturday Dr. Moore, a dentist and prominent citizen, and Mrs. Titus, the conductor's wife, were both arrested and committed to jail charged with the robbery and arson. The money, $900, has been found buried in the yard and it is stated that plenty of proof has been discovered of a liaison and conspiracy between the two prisoners.

There is also report that "an Arkansas Valley editor postmaster has been arrested for allowing his affections to wander off and entwine themselves about the buxom form and palpitating heart of a fair damsel who is not his lawful wife."

[No No]

Kansas, we hardly knew ye.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

From Archives of the Winfield Courier:

quote:
Winfield Courier, August 30, 1883.

SOUTHERN KANSAS POLITICS.

McPherson, Aug. 24. There are at least two prohibition towns in Kansas, or at least towns in which no liquor is sold openly and above board; and these two places are Winfield and McPherson. The former being the home of Senator Hackney, there is of course nothing surprising in the fact that prohibition prohibits there.

Hackney is the fiercest and most uncompromising prohibitionist I ever saw, not even excepting St. John, and is very free in his declaration that a prohibitory plank should be put in the next Republican state platform. Whether or not the anti-prohibition element in Win- field is afraid of Hackney I cannot say, but it is very safe to assume that he would make it very sultry indeed for any member thereof who should so far forget himself as to open out a gin mill and begin the sale of liquor unblushingly. No one presumes to deny that whiskey and diverse other beverages cannot be obtained in Winfield, but there is no open sale of the same. Although the town has but one policeman, the embodying of the city marshal and street commissioner in the one person, there is no place in the state more quiet and peaceable than Winfield. There are no rows, no drunken men staggering around, no disturbances of any kind; the farmers, when they come in to sell their produce, do not seem to worry over the fact that there is not a saloon on every corner. It should not be judged from this that Winfield is a dull town by any means, for it isn't. There is not a livelier town in the state, nor one which does more business in proportion to its size. In fact, in proportion to its size, there are very few towns in Kansas which do as much business as Winfield. Therefore, if Winfield is busy and growing, and the prohibitory law is enforced there, why can't the law be enforced in other towns of the state? If the law in Missouri is strong enough to shut up the saloons on Sunday, it is certainly strong enough to close them up every day in the week in Kansas.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, that wasn't what I was thinking of as the reason. I've been told that the reason Winfield doesn't have any liquor stores is that a woman was fundamental in the building of Southwestern College in Winfield left the city quite a bit of money, on the condition that they never allow liquor stores within the city's limits. I'm not having much luck digging up online documentation about it, though I haven't given up yet.

That's a great site by the way, CT--I'm having a blast reading through it!

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I have nothing really to add to this, I'm just stunned I didn't clue into the fact that Eaquae Legit goes to my school. Wait, you're the fellow that asked about IRS, right?

Anyway, the chap that drew the pictures for said article is Evan Munday, who I was living with during the "incident". Probably the best thing to happen to his career, all publicity being good publicity. Anyway, Evan and I are going out tomorrow night and I'll have to remember to slip "The Laurier Position" into the conversation.

Carry on.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

My own hometown newspaper (The Mount Hope Clarion - no web site) runs a weekly column called "100 years ago today" in which it runs snippets from the same newspaper 100 years ago (duh!).

It is always SO entertaining to read.... some things (opinions) they printed then certainly wouldn't be allowed journalistically today!

Farmgirl

Thunder's Core Smith
Member # 6234

- posted      Profile for Thunder's Core Smith   Email Thunder's Core Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
EL is a lady, Bobble.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always amused when a thread like this hits the 69 post mark.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

CT

I'm so proud that earlier you linked to the Kansas State Historical Society web page. I was instrumental in the development of THIS page of that site. In fact, I typed every single entry in the officer database that site links to. And am very good friends with the web developer at KSHS, Matt.

Farmgirl

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I was the editor of my college newspaper in my senoir year. It was like rolling sand uphill with your fingers to get people to submit articles because we had no journalism class the first semester. I ended up begging friends and my stable of unrequited lovers to do book reviews, cartoons, take pictures and do interviews, etc. I remember a particularly funny article after the maintenance crew misspelled 'parking' when they repainted the 'no parking ' section. It said "No Parning". We interviewed people to ask them what 'parning' was. We didn't get to print many of them.

It was a Presbyterian school.

Anyway, the most controversial thing I managed to get into it (other than revealing my lecherous Prophetic Liturature proffessor's middle name) was a cartoon of the college president. He had a habit of always sticking stuff in the waistband of his pants right at the small of his back. Usually a book or his daily planner or whatever. I think it was a habit he'd picked up in the military.

Anyway, the cartoon had the caption "If Mr. _____ had been an artist" and it had him with an easel sticking out of the back of his pants. We cleared it with him first. He had a good sense of humor. But others thought it was disrespectful.

Times have changed. *polishes cane*

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oops, I was wrong. I was just talking to C, who lived in Winfield at one point, and she said that it was two women who put up the money for the construction of St. John's College (now defunct) in Winfield on the condition that Winfield not have liquor stores.
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guys, I thought I was just being funny.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

So if St. John's is now defunct, do they now have liquor stores there?

Farmgirl

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember asking about IRS, but I might have, since my sister just got ringed last week (and the next day as well when her boyfriend - also a UW grad - proposed).

But well, I never clued in that there was another person from UW here. [Dont Know] What faculty?

[/derail]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.