FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tattoos - a fluff thread (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tattoos - a fluff thread
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeek. That reminds me of a comic book I once read... Flowers on breasts = evil.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't like to have a tatoo, but a scar would definitely be cool.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, maybe you were right. Maybe I am a wimp. [Wink] The needles are the big thing that keeps me from getting a tattoo. Well, that and the money.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really interested in tatoos. Can't think of anything I would want to permanently embed in my skin. Though I guess I can sort of see Farmgirl's point. That is to say, when the LDS church came out and said they were against them it didn't really affect me.

The only things with which I want permanent association are by their nature non-permanent.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Farmgirl, maybe you were right. Maybe I am a wimp
Where in the HECK in anything above did I call you a wimp?

:: oh wait! That was a different thread ::

Understand please -- I feel like tattoos are probably not a good idea. I don't recommend them for anyone (yes, there is some scripture in the bible about them).

However, I got mine when I was young and emotional, and not following any rules of any sort.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Any rules of any sort?

Oh, the possibliities...

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

There is a bible scripture about them? Does it say what my mom says, that you will be stuck with them in the afterlife? (edit: word choice)

[ February 27, 2004, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, mine is just another example of how far I've fallen from the LDS ideal, I guess [Evil]

Derrell, I'm certainly not a tattoo evangelists now or anything but I can address two of your issues:

1. Mine never "hurt". The feeling was pretty annoying, like having a cat knead its claws into my calf for 45 minutes. It was uncomfortable, but not painful at all. Afterwards (and to some degree still - 6 days later) the area feels like a mild sunburn. Chris has one on his lower back and said that it was more sensitive there, but believe me, as pain intolerant and ticklish as he is, if he could get one, anyone could. And he has two.

2. Mine is a custom design. It is a variation of a stock Sagittarius symbol (the arrow with an arc through the shaft representing a bow). Chris designed it and had the tattoo artist draw it up.

3. About the money issue, well, think of it as buying art. It's really not that expensive considering the talent involved. (And I certainly wouldn't recommend getting a tattoo from an artist whose work I didn't think was worth the cost.) Plus, if you have to save up for it, it gives you plenty of time to consider what you want and if you really want one at all.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

But haven't you heard that if you get an MRI any iron based inks can get pulled back out of your skin? I'm serious about that information, but fluffy about how worried you should be about it.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

KarlEd...

Can I ask how much your custom design costs? How many colors used?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Karl, thanks for the advice. Did you visit different tattoo shops before you decided on one? I'm also concerned about the health issues. I'd have to inspect the various shops to ensure their health practices were up to par.

[ February 27, 2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Derrell ]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Pooka,
quote:
Leviticus 19
28You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the LORD

(New King James Version)

Some would say it is part of the "old law".

FG

edit: I probably really had more to do with idol worshipping of the dead

[ February 27, 2004, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which book had the story about the kid getting a tatoo and everyone discussing it and it turning out to be a potato?
It was one of the sideways school books. Elementary school was long enough ago that I don't remember which one though.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I am now too superstitious to be comfortable with:

1) getting a tattoo
2) piercing any body part, including ears
3) having my photograph taken
4) attending any awards ceremony (for me), including graduation ceremonies

Apparently, all I'm missing is a dozen cats and an eyepatch before I become the scariest crone in Madison.

[Edit: But yay! I got my research position. Now, all I need is a cauldron ...]

[ February 27, 2004, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

are you serious, CT? [Big Grin]

You guys might think this funny -- I went through with getting a tattoo (which, on the breast, is somewhat painful!) but I've always been too much of a wimp to even consider getting my ears pierced. So I still never wear ear-rings, and the thought of getting them pierced just totally unnerves me.

Farmgirl

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Farmgirl, I am serious.

We can be spiritual sisters, of a sort. I've also stopped cutting my hair, although that's more to do with laziness than superstition.

Given my track record, though, this avoidance will likely soon be incorporated into my OCDish list of Things Which Must Be Avoided. (It's hard to be me. *playing a tiny finger-fiddle in the background [Wink] )

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy, your Wench factor just went up. I am in awe... [Hail]

It gives me the willies just thinking about injecting ink under my skin, so I'll never have a tattoo. It bothers me to be written on with a pen. My daughter (5) has tattoo ink pens, which she loves. She creates all kinds of tattoos, and sometimes we invest them with meanings (this one prevents snakebite, etc.) because we read a book about tribal tattoos together once.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, I think you would make a terribly wicked crone. I'd love to have you in the haunted house of my neighborhood.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Christy is such a Wench. [Hail]

Jenny G, I'd hang around on your block any day. That's where all the fun stuff happens. [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

CT

Not exactly spiritual sisters -- those last two (#3 and #4) wouldn't bother me at all! In fact, I wish there WERE some awards coming my way! <GRIN> And I love public speaking.

Congrats on getting the research position!!!!!

Farmgirl

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Farmgirl, there are like three other females in this contry who are not ear-pierced, and two of them are less than 24 hours old.

We'll be spiritual ear sisters. It'll be cool. There will be a secret handshake and a decoder ring. [Big Grin] [A clip-on one!]

(I don't get much in the way of awards, but the very fact that I haven't done these things makes me superstitious about doing them. It's a sort of Luddite anti-progress thing, I think. Now, if I can only warp this into some kind of cool lifestyle choice, I'd be set. [Smile] )

[ February 27, 2004, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I for one would not like to have CT as a wicked crone in my `hood. Surely she would excel at it, and being the paragon of virtue that I am, would surely fall afoul of her.

[Wink]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I think she would be a dandy crone, but she'd definitely have some fierce competition here in Prescott.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Rakeesh, wicked old crones just dote on handsome young men. (Sheesh!) Who do you think we get to move our cauldrons around?

Da_Goat: [Smile]

[ February 27, 2004, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Derrell
Member # 6062

What happened to the original topic of this thread? I believe Karl asked if anyone else at Hatrack has tattoos. This thread is about tattoos. While I'd love to have ClaudiaTherese in my neighborhood, what does that have to do with tattoos? Unless CT has a tattoo she's not telling us about. [Wink]
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I think CT is sublminally encouraging all of us to get a tattoo of her.

[ February 27, 2004, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Derrell
Member # 6062

Oh, so that's it. Is there a picture of her we can print so we can show the tattoo artist? We could all get a tattoo of her and start the church of ClaudiaTherese. [Wink] [Big Grin]
Derrell
Member # 6062

[Hail] CT
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*gaffaws* Now you've opened a can of worms, CT!

*giggles* We will cure you of these superstitions!

*plots an ear piercing escapade, a day at the hair salon and giggles at the few rare photos we've managed to capture*

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! AND *Throws CT an awards ceremony for getting her research position*

CONGRATULATIONS!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats CT
I belong to your non-ear pierced sisterhood as well.

Parents did have the Biblical issue, my aunt that was a nurse had sanitary issues (she was a school nurse when they still existed, and infected ears were a frequent problem) and I also soon realized that if I did get them pierced I'd promptly lose the earrings so there was really no point.

Though I saw these earrings and told Steve that he ever got around to buying them for me I'd get my ears pierced for them.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
What??!!!

CT got the research position!!!????

And she was gonna tell us when?

So: Does this mean she's going to get a special tattoo to mark the occasion? [Big Grin]

(CT - your research on females with nonpierced ears needs work. I'm living with yet another female considerably over the age of 24 hours old who has totally unpierced lobes, along with the rest of her ears.)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
My thing against tattoos has always been that I can't imagine anything that I would want on my skin in 20 years or more. I think I have decided though.

See, I recently started taking a Shaolin Kempo class (through USSD), and I am really enjoying it.

Well, they have trips to China every other year, and if you time it to go along wiht your black belt test, the Shaolin monks at their temple are the ones who test you. What better occasion to remember always with a tattoo? I was thinking either the USSD symbol (bonzai tree over the sun), or else one of the 5 animals of Kung Fu that the martial art uses.

That way if anyone asks me about it, I can brag about it [Wink] .

This will take 5-10 years though, so we'll see, but its certainly fun to think about [Smile] .

[ February 27, 2004, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Several dozen teenage girls have descended upon my hotel floor. It is quite lively here now. A great sound, that of dozens of girls gabbing, laughing, shrieking, yelling funny comments to be heard above the din, etc. [Smile]

I won't ever get a tattoo because I remember all the cheesy stuff I thought was totally cool looking in the 60s, the 70s, the 80s, the 90s, etc. Granted, stuff usually becomes totally cool looking again like 30 years further on, but it doesn't count if you look like you still have it. And any given thing will be very cheesy looking three decades out of four.

Also, I mean, sure they look great on young firm skin but how will they look on old saggy skin a few decades hence?

For body decoration, I prefer jewelry or clothing or paint. [Smile]

I do get strong urges to get my belly button pierced from time to time, though. So far I've managed to resist. [Smile]

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a tattoo of a heart but I don't know how to say where it is without this post getting deleted. And me being ostracized. [Wink]
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
When I got my tongue pierced last week, I got into a conversation with the tattoo artist. I was telling him that I would probably never get one because, well, I am too much of a flake, that by the time all was said and done, I would change my mind and be stuck with something I hated. He said the key to avoiding that situation was commemerating an event with one.

Xavier was on the right track with his idea. The tattoo artist told me about was one of his friends, he has a tiny dot on one of his hands. Boring, I know. This tattoo has a lot of meaning though. He had a close family member or friend (I can't remember which) who had died and to honor that person, he had a very small bit of his friend/family member's ashes mixed into the dye. A little morbid but, interesting.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Val: Cool! That's really neat.

I plan on getting a tattoo of this except without the spinning and in green, about quarter-sized. [Big Grin] I have to save up a severe amount of money for it... But it's the same design that two of my very good friends are getting, and it has a meaning to me. So I hope that I won't grow to hate it someday.

Edit: Hmmm.. It would have been cool to get a tattoo when I got my black belt, too...

[ February 27, 2004, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you want it placed, Ryuko?

Edit: And how much is "severe"?

[ February 27, 2004, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

On my right shoulder, the fleshy part. Severe is ANY money right now. I am very very poor.
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of weeks ago, I conducted an interview with a tattoo artist for some character work on a story I'm writing. It was really interesting, and I learned a lot about a subject that I was terribly ignorant about.

If you're going to get a tattoo, the best way to go about it is to find someone with a tattoo you like and ask them where they got it. (also ask people with crappy tattoos where they got theirs, then don't go there) The person I interviewed has a degree in art and became a tattoo artist because she wanted to do fringe art, but wanted to be able to make a living and didn't want to work in advertising. Her studio has very little Flash (the designs on the walls), and the vast majority of her work is custom designs created from a customer's ideas.

The whole place was very tastefully decorated and was nothing like the sleazy tattoo parlors I remember from my Navy days.

It's important to remember that alcohol, drugs and tattoos don't mix. Just ask the guy on my ship who woke up one morning with a bright yellow tweety bird on his left bicep with the words "I tawt I taw a puddy tat" encircling it.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have thought a lot about getting a tattoo, and talked to a few tattoo artists about it. I think I would get a stylised pegasus: quite small, just black and very graceful (of course).

The closest I came to getting it done was about 2 years ago when Tony and I broke up for a brief period. I'm really glad I didn't, because the tattoo would always be associated the negative feelings and emotions of that time. Turns out Tony almost got his nipple pierced (ouch!) at the same time: seems for us, broken hearts = yearn for body disfigurement [Smile]

The reason I'm not getting one now is I'm perfectly happy without one. That may well change over the next few years.

One thing I will have to keep in mind though is that for my profession (lawyer) it will have to be in place that can be easily concealed by a suit dress!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a tattoo... or anything pierced...

I've got a hippie-type mentality that I think bodies are beautiful as they are and that it's unbeautiful to tattoo them or pierce them... I even think that dyeing one's hair is unnatural

(I might change my mind on dyeing hair -- I'm 36 and I've got a lot of grey hair and I get annoyed by dumb jokes about "Oooh, you're so OLD!"... but naah, I'm too lazy to care that much about my personal appearance to keep up with dyeing my hair, so I think I'll just be defiantly grey...)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember being fourteen and informing my mother that I wanted to rebel and was trying to think of a way to do it that wouldn't actually be immoral or illegal. What did she think of a tattoo? I was thinking a red rose wrapped around my ankle.

She talked me out of it.

Not terribly signifigant, except I think it shows I was having a little trouble grasping the concept and purpose of rebellion.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

[Big Grin]

That's quite cute Kat... in a kinda dorky way.

'Hey Mom, would you mind if I rebel?'
'Yes dear'
'Oh, ok then. I won't.'

[Big Grin]

[ February 28, 2004, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
I even think that dyeing one's hair is unnatural
Well, yeah. If it was natural, you wouldn't need to dye it.
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I'd ever get a decorative tattoo. The two I have are just for myself.

It's like having a picture on your desk just because it reminds you of a time and a feeling.

One I got the day I decided to ditch my safety net and left college. It reminds me of the day I hopped in my car with my posessions in the back seat, $1000 in my wallet, and a vague idea of where I was going.

The other's more a reminder of a feeling. I got it just after my recent trip in the mountains, when I was happy in the purest sense of the word. Even a chance glance at it seems to clear my mind and makes me focus on what's really important.

In 50 years, when my grandkids stare at the faded marks on my old body and say "What's that?", I'll just pick 'em up, set 'em on my knee...and tell them a little story. [Smile]

By then, there ought to be enough of them to make into a book.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I really like that Frisco.

I guess that's why I'm holding off on mine: I want it to remind me of a great time, or achievement in my life. Not just because I thought it looked pretty.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

Hmmm... That's a cool idea. Too bad mine's already planned.

That reminds me of a story that was in our school's lit mag. One of the girls who was supposed to graduate with us died of Cystic Fibrosis in our Junior year. Her friends all went and got her name tattooed on them, and one of them wrote a fairly good short story about it. (sighs) It was a sad time.

fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh ooh. One of my favorite subjects.

Tattoo #1: Saturn
It has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a Capricorn. I like space and astronomy and pretty much anything that involves Saturn (i.e. Gattaca, Pitch Black). The artist was skinny white (trash?) chick who was "only going through the motions" because a friend of hers had died the day before. This tattoo was to celebrate getting my braces off. As far as location, let's just say it's on my very lower back.

Tattoo #2: Gumby
I figured, of all cartoon characters, Gumby was the most timeless, and big deal if he stretches as I age. This tattoo artist looked exactly, I mean exactly, like Camryn Manheim. ("This is for all the fat girls!") Gumby is on my hip...kinda waving goodbye to Saturn, actually.

Tattoo #3: Wooden cross
At the time I wanted something to remind me of the pain Christ suffered on the cross and how that applies to me. Go figure that it was the most painful of the four. I was introduced to nerve endings I didn't know I had, and a significant part of the process gave me a chewing on metal sensation. Very unfomfortable. I think the artist's name was Zeb. Very cool guy. The cross is on my actual lower back.

Tattoo #4: Red, White and Blue ribbon
Yeah, I got it after 9/11. A tattoo convention came to town, and proceeds from patriotic tattoos were going to the Red Cross. I was going for something beyond a flag or an eagle, so I used the ribbon that's the standard "I support this" shape, and in the white stripe are the words "One nation, under God, indivisible." It's on my back, opposite the cross.

I have plans for #5, but I definitely don't have the funds. I want to get the Russian word for "hope" down my spine. Or maybe someplace less painful...

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.