FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oscar Fashion: Bad (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oscar Fashion: Bad
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
This is by far the worst Oscar fashion year ever.

Why is everyone so tan? Why are all the dresses bias-cut? Why didn't anyone brush their hair? Why does everyone have bad highlights and roots? Why did everyone wear dresses that were one shade away from their skin tone? Why does everyone think that they can carry off bangs? Why did all the mature actresses dress 20 years younger than they should have?

The best dressed ladies were Nicole Kidman, Sofia Coppola, and Oprah. Diane Keaton looked adorable in her Annie Hall outfit. The worst dressed is a tie between everyone else.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Julia Roberts dress was lovely, although I HATED her hair.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes but thanks to Janet Jackson, I believe this is the first time in a great number of years when I didn't see nipples, butt crack or any other type of unnecassary body parts. That at least is a fashion step in the right direction.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would hardly call nipples or butts unnecessary. They would, in fact, be difficult to live without.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Was it just me, or was Charlize Theron _orange_?
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
They were all various shades of orange, each one more unattractive and aging than the other. Even Andrew noticed that there was something going on and he's colorblind.

I didn't hate Julia Roberts' dress. I just don't like clasps, even though hers was probably real. I also didn't care much for the color, although it was better than most of the others.

One of the things that's bothering me is the mish-mash of styles. They had 70's hair with 30's dresses and that is not a good combination.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter Jackson--Great Director--Lousy Fashion model.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. PJ looked a bit messy.

The only female who seemed to look good was Keisha Castle-Hughes...and she's thirteen!

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree on all counts. Peter Jackson was very messy. But very happy too. [Smile]

Charlize Theron - glow in the dark orange! She is naturally so beautiful, but she just looked like every other fake tanned hollywood blonde.

I thought Nicole Kidman looked stunning. When she walked out with the light behind her - wow. She sure is tall! I smiled at her bending down to kiss Sean Penn. But she looked absolutely fantastic.

Keisha Castle-Hughes did look lovely, and entirely age appropriate, which I think is great.

(Still upset she didn't win...)

But the overall winner for both fashion and just utter yummy-ness had to be Johnny Depp.

*takes a moment to review his appearance*

Mmmm-hmmm. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
Julia Roberts dress was lovely, although I HATED her hair.
And something else I remembered about hair: ROOTS!

If you have that much money, you can afford to get them retouched. Having dark roots showing is not a fashion statement. It just looks sloppy and silly.

(As a post script: I didn't mind Susan Sarandon's dress.)

[ March 01, 2004, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would hardly call nipples or butts unnecessary. They would, in fact, be difficult to live without.
While I agree that my desk job would be awkward withoug my butt, I could live fine without my nipple. In fact, the only people that seem to need nipples are nursing mothers. Other than for nursing, they are merely decorative, not functional.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't come up with alternative, non-milk-related functions, I'm afraid I can't help you.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Catherine Zeta-Jones was breath-taking, although the faux-lizard finish on the corset of her dress gave me hives. I love the way I look, but I had to change it, it would be to look like her. Holy crap.

However, why did her husband wear sunglasses the whole time?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

He's old. The light hurts his eyes.

[Smile]

I agree, she did look amazing. But then, she is a stunning looking woman anyhow.

beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, of course nipple and butts are necessary to have but my point of course is that it is unecessary to display them.

I would be a very sad person with out my butt. It is very enjoyably musical.

[ March 01, 2004, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
*shock* Mrs. M thought Diane Keaton's outfit was adorable!

We here at work were just saying how horrible we thought the outfit was -- and her fetish for always being so covered up....

I have nothing against females who choose to wear pants instead of dresses (god knows I do most of the time due to my work environment), but I just thought the outfit left much to be desired -- didn't really make her look very good.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, I thought Diane Keaton looked great....she's so naturally beautiful.

But then again, I did do a double take -- what was Michael Jackson doing at the Oscars?!? [Eek!]

I thought Liv Tyler looked terrific -- no fake tan -- and that Scarlett Johanssan (sp?) looked pretty elegant too.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

WHAT is Uma Thurman wearing??

Edit: link works now

[ March 01, 2004, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

imogen
Member # 5485

Agreed completely, Kat.

(Edit: aah, so it does. Pity the dress didn't change in the interim)

It was sort of star trek, lots of excess tulle, and just very bad.

[ March 01, 2004, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed on Sophia, Nicole, and Oprah.

Based only on still photos, I'd also submit:

1. Renee Zellweger, front and back views. I usually like her style, anyway.

2. Annette O'Toole (but in some photos, needs more support up front, and hair could be more coiffed)

3. Jennifer Garner for the dress, though the orange of the dress clashes with the orange of her skin a bit, and the bangs hit the wrong note for me.

4. Shaun Robinson also did well in my eyes, although I would have picked a richer jewel tone for her (as it is, the color and texture remind me of bridesmaids' dresses or an 80's prom)

Yeah, what is it with all the bias cuts? [Confused]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Uma Thurman apparently has lost her mind.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
No Nipples?! Did you not see Angelina Jolie??? Practically 3D. I thought someone might get poked in the eye...

And for the record, I think she is ugly and wasn't remotlely interested in seeing her. I just couldn't help but notice.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I didn't think she was too bad, nipple wise. Unless you are willing to do very painful things to your body with tape, then nipples will 'indent' on clothes. (Even if you are wearing a bra. Trust me on this.) Very different to actually displaying them in their full nudity.

I thought she looked fantastic, actually.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

WHAT is Uma Thurman wearing??

The hiills are aliiive, with da sound of Griiiiswold.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Liv Tyler's hair had to be one of the scariest moments of the evening. My mom, who just happened to catch one of Allison Krauss's performances, fell back onto the couch in shock.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The fear of being Bennifer was so pervasive that every non-permanently-attached actress, from Angelina Jolie to Renee Zellwegger, came either alone or with their mother.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also like to say that I really liked Stuart Townshend...oh, wow.

I think Angelina Jolie is beautiful, but I agree about Julia Roberts' hair.

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
This one takes the cake.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Liv Tyler's hair.

Sandra Bullock looked like a burnt layer cake.

Dominic Monahan's hair was icky. I know it's supposed to look like he just rolled out of bed, but does it HAVE to?

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
imogen: that is what slightly padded bras are for. Even when you are nursing.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Complain all you like, nothing came near Jennifer Connelly's dress from- was it 2002? The year she got best supporting actress.

I just finally watched my recording. I loved the Oliphaunt segment.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone besides me think Sandra Bullock is TRYING to look like J. Lo?
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/virtual/oscar04-redcarpet/26

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Kasie could it be a double layer cake?
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/virtual/oscar04-redcarpet/73
This one seems just as bad.

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

AJ, sometimes I think most of them have lost their minds. Why deliberately wear something so unflattering?
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Events like this always make me wonder: "These are beautiful women with tons of money (and probably personal style consultants and hair stylists on staff)! Why on earth would they choose to look like that?!"
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Julie Andrews still looks like a lady, though this photo is at a strange angle.
web page
Here's another nominee for the absolute worst.
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/virtual/oscar04-redcarpet/160

katharina
Member # 827

AJ, I love that you are so fascinated by this. [Smile]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

actually today it has everything to do with avoiding a huge snafu here at work. I'm hoping if I don't think about it, it will go away.

<grin>

AJ

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I also thought Catherine Zeta-Jones and Uma Thurman looked absolutely breathtaking.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Diane Keaton is actually taking a lot of crap for her outfit. Can't the fashion press tell when someone is screwing around with them? [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

That hair just says "I'm turning 4 today!" to me.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Diane Keaton may be the most uniquely qualified person to wear Ralph Lauren's "Annie Hall" look. And after showing it all in the movie, why quibble if she's covering it now?

Teres and I were wondering if Oprah's dress (with the huge bow in back) was designed to be adjustable in case she slipped twenty pounds in either direction the week before the event.

I suspect the glowing of the actresses was because spray tans are very in right now. Unfortunately so are "nude" dresses, designed to be a shade off from your skin tone. Me, I prefer those on ladies whose skin tones provide contrast.

I was shocked Depp was wearing Armani, usually he prefers the 40's detective look for awards shows. Maybe his publicist threatened him...

We were also confused by the suits on Billy Crystal and a few others, where there seemed to be a dark band over the gut. Too high to be a cumberbund, to straight across to be a vest, they just looked awkward. Robin Williams' tux looked like it still had the tailor's marks on it.

But otherwise I spent the Oscars doing what I usually do, which is celebrity breast-watching. It cheers me up to notice that most of them, without special costuming or Wonder Bras, look just as uneven or droopy or just plain human as everyone else's, and that makes me happy.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll have to go through the galleries, since Sigourney Weavery and Geena Davis didn't present. I guess Geena didn't want anyone thinking of her when there was talk of pirate movies.

Charlize looked okay on my TV. Maybe your color balance is off. There is an event called "General Conference" for LDS where we hear the Elders of the church speak, and they typically wear makeup. When it first came on last time, the brethren were shockingly orange.

Is that Jodie Foster in the Purple and Gold? eek

[ March 01, 2004, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else notice that Johnny Depp doesn't know how to wear a tuxedo. His collar was coming out from his jacket and covering his bow tie. What a slob.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooke - the one in purple and gold is Samantha Morton not Jodie Foster - she's a Brit who was nominated in the Best Actress category. But there is a likeness in this photo JF is much thinner.

Does anyone else think that Nicole Kidman looked anorexic - I'm sorry but she is tooo thin.

I agree with the comment about Uma Thurman - I reckon she left it to late to get a dress and just wore a shower curtain instead.

Oh and as at Brit - Catherine Zeta Jones what accent exactly does she have - it changes with every sentence she uses (American, Welsh, English etc.)

[ March 01, 2004, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: cochick ]

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Be careful what you say around these parts, newfoundlogic...

You might get mobbed

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it me, or does Kidman look like a dragon ready to pounce in all of her pictures? That's kinda scary. I'm not sure if I'm weirded out or kinda attracted to that.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanna know how her dress stays on. Glue?

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

Nope. Double sticky tape.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man...

<washes down thread with a healthy dose of "who gives a crap?">

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.