FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Equilibrium

Author Topic: Equilibrium
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, I love this movie, at first you may think, oh, another rip off of Farenheit 451, but no. It may be similar in parts, but the plot is smooth, the acting good, the dialogue original, and about all, the fight sequences are great. And I have an obsession for Sean Bean, and Christian Bale is always good too, oh and for some other contingents of our crowd, Taye Diggs. I recommend to all Hatrackers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/

Rhaegar

[ March 02, 2004, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Rhaegar The Fool ]

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it, but it looked like it was just a ripoff of the matrix. Or am I thinking of a different movie?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems everyone has been discovering this movie lately. I enjoyed it a lot - too bad it had to have a totally weak and empty ending.

It certainly isn't a Matrix Ripoff, even though that's what the ads - and costume design - may make it look like. It's actually much better written than the Matrix films, IMNSHO.

Apart from the look, nothing else really in common at all.

[ March 02, 2004, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
MPH Oh hah sorry no pun intended. NO not a ripoff of the Matrix. Just a kick ass movie, very well done.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, a couple of guys were talking about it at work yesterday, both having seen it recently. Is some video-rental place starting to hype it or something?

Anyway, I really liked it ... though it's been too long to remember exactly why [Smile]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
No, not a ripoff of Matrix. Just a ripoff of 1984, Brave New World, Farehnheit 451, etc...
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Stider pretty much pinned it down.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw it. Strider is correct, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Don't get me wrong, I think the movie is good. though i thought it could've been better.

It's that people keep talking about it like it's this crazy original idea that no one has ever thought of before. When really it's just a mix of all the distopian future books we read when we were younger, thrown together and assembled in a coherent manner. With an added martial art fighting style(which was really really cool).

oh, and the ending did bother me too. it was just so cheesy. it could've been alot better just by changing that one thing.

[ March 04, 2004, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I too just caught this movie by mistake while flipping through the movie channels.

I enjoyed the huge cast of recognizable actors, and Strider did sum up the content of the movie. I too must also second the coolness of the evolution of martial arts. I have a feeling the movie was German-produced, which would explain much cinematically, but have not taken the time to research it, but I hope other Hatrackers have seen this movie other than the small list above me!

[ August 02, 2004, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 6375

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
It was pretty derivative, but an extremely well-told story once you got past your initial disbelief and deja vu. Very engaging, good directing, acting, and writing. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it (you should be able to find a copy at movie rental places).
Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I have also seen it a couple of weeks ago and I loved it. I read Brave New World, Fahenheit 451 and 1984 and I'm glad they've made such a good film that includes the ideas in these dystopias. About the ending: any happy ending showing emotions after an entire film who tried to conceal them would have looked more or less cheesy. I'm glad they did it that way.

As for the fight scenes: a little too streched, but good nonetheless. But then again, I'm the guy who thinks Matrix 2 & 3 are good for the dialogs and the symbolism, and that the fight scenes were unnecessarily long and sometimes quite boring, so don't mind me... [Razz]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it on tape a few months back. It was not horrible, but to tell the truth I was not enthused. I found it somewhat boring, actually. Unfortunately, I don't entirely remember why--it's been too long.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was bad. Not horrible, but entirely derivative. It was derivative plot-wise of 1984, Brave New World, and so on as listed above, but the action sequences are ripped off from the Matrix. Much like Strider said, it is annoying to me to hear the movie described as if it is original and fresh, when there is really nothing original and fresh in it. The plot is not fresh. The dialogue is not original. The action is derivative. The cinematography is unoriginal.

The reason I think people who do like the movie like it so much are the following...
  • It doesn't suck. The quality of the film doesn't really drop throughout. If you start out with low expectations you won't be wowed, but you won't be disappointed.
  • It has just enough punching, kicking, and shooting to keep you distracted from its blandness, if you want to be.
  • The lead characters are attractive. Even for heterosexual males, it is more pleasant to look at a hero and even an antagonist who are easy on the eyes.

Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
About the ending: any happy ending showing emotions after an entire film who tried to conceal them would have looked more or less cheesy. I'm glad they did it that way.

i don't mean that part of it. I'm talking about the whole monitors blowing up all over the place. I can't remember what else happens cause i haven't seen it in a long time, but i remember it being very cheesy. all emotions aside.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.