FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Owie owie owie owie...

Author Topic: Owie owie owie owie...
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it at least works for him.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
That is awesome! [ROFL]
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
YIKES!

I saw a news show on this once, about 10 years or so ago. Some were against it, some where for it. Apparently in Sweden, some guy was serving a prison sentance for raping 27 women, so he was voluntarily castrated so he would stop. Apparently, it worked...for obvious reasons....

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, don't know about the guy in Texas, but for the guy in Sweden, it's really hard to gauge the effectiveness of the castration when the biggest barrier to raping women is being locked up with a lot of men. Unless he'd started raping men in prison - not unheard of at all - but they're not claiming that. Or am I missing something?
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

I don't know. I saw the program when I was about 11 or 12 and not quite sure what castration was. I know it was the removal of the round dangly bits on a guy, but as for the purpose of the dangly bits, I wasn't quite sure.

It was a long time ago.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. I don't think that a person with the mentality to sexually abuse children would stop just because he had his "round dangly bits" removed.
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

I don't understand how he could NOT stop without round dangley bits....
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends.

If sexual excitement is part of the molestation process, then castration can work. If those two things are tied together, then loss of all sex drive can sometimes remove the desire to molest as well.

However, certain molestation pathologies are not tied to sexual stimulation. Those people in my mind are the worst kind of monsters, and are often not cured by loss of sex drive.

In this case, he is actually eligible for shortened sentence based on the castration, which is the appeal of the surgery to someone like him.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they gave him some Neuticals!
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Actually, it happens. Check out the behavior of castrated dogs sometime. Not all of them behave the way you'd expect them to. (response to Gwan)

[ March 03, 2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

Hmm--that makes sense.

Those who do it for sexual kicks, it may work. Those who do it for power, it won't.

gwan
Member # 6194

What I am saying is they cna't actually preform the physical act without a penis... I believe it is nessecary in such things....
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In this case, he is actually eligible for shortened sentence based on the castration, which is the appeal of the surgery to someone like him.
Or maybe the appeal to him is that he thinks it will eliminate his urge to rape little kids....
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

If it's about power then it doesn't matter. They can use other things like their hands or a bottle or basically anything
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Tres:

That too. I think he probably does feel that way. However, he would not be able to rape kids in prison either. So it is a combination of getting to leave early, plus not raping anyone after he leaves.

[ March 03, 2004, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Slash the Berzerker ]

sndrake
Member # 4941

Gwan,

According to my dictionary, "castration" refers to "removal of the testes."

gwan
Member # 6194

EW! I didn't think of that .... Yuck! [Eek!]
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

You know, to be honest, I respect the idea of "I don't want to spend my life in prison, but I also don't want to rape little kids. Here, whack off my sack."

There is a certain sad nobility to such a choice.

gwan
Member # 6194

I geusse I was thinking they'd remove the intire thing.... but i didn't really think about it... but wouldn't he still be incapab;e of an erection without testicles?
sndrake
Member # 4941

**Definitely NOT an onanism thread**
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

Yeah Slash. I mean, he must feel that he really has a problem and that this is his best hope for overcoming it.
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I even think it might be a bit more than I want to get out of prison. It sounds like this guy might want to be cured of those urges, and this is a method of doing it.

Gwan,

You can rape someone without a penis. If it is a power play, there are plenty of things you can do to violate someone in a number of ways.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

(realizes how stupid she sound and feels ashamed) [Blushing]
Starla*
Member # 5835

Gwan,

Don't feel stupid...it's just one of those things. Objects, fingers, tongues...not pretty. Not nice, not human. [Frown]

I didn't know how lesbians had sex until I was 15, when my aunt had to explain it to me.

It's really sad. About rape, I mean...it's not about sex, it's about power. You see that when you're on the bad end of it, not that there's a good end.

Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, without testicles everything changes. Without hormone therapy, men start acting pretty effeminate, I believe.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

You can still have an erection and no testicles.
sndrake
Member # 4941

My parents have a neutered dog that has been embarrassing them with non-neutered behavior for many years. **A personal teste-imonial**
Starla*
Member # 5835

[ROFL]

Thanks, sndrake. I needed a laugh really bad, cause this subject is depressing me a little.

Starla*
Member # 5835

In fact, I have more teste-monials. (Or Moan-ials, if you will).

Over the Holidays, my grocery store carries squid, cleaned and separated.

An old lady at my fish counter asked me for:

"A pound of calamari, please. But don't give me the testicles, I want to make rings out of them."

[ROFL]
I wanted to do that, but I was on the counter, so laughed my behind off later. [Smile]

sndrake
Member # 4941

[Big Grin]

Reminds me - I lived in Denver for a few years. And when gelding time comes, Rocky Mountain Oysters are considered a real teste treat.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The Germans invented something called a "castration mine" during one of the world wars (when triggered it would shoot up about 3 ft and then explode). But some of the victims were able to have sex in later years anyway. The first couple of times I heard about this, I thought it had to be a joke. But I think it was on Nova one time. So that means it's gotta be real, right?

Edit: Nah, there was a guy castrated by a grenade, but it wasn't a "castration mine". And I'm not going to google it, thank you very much.

I hope the hormone treatments demonstrated that this should be effective for him. The benefit of castration over hormone treatment is that he will just have the lessening of testosterone without other feminizing effects. Still... It would be so tragic if for any reason it didn't cure him. Some folks get fat again after gastric bypass, after all.

[ March 03, 2004, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard is said many, many times that rape is not about sex -- it's about power. It is repeated so often that it is taken as a truism.

I wonder how true and how universal that statement is. Where does this idea come from?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
oh man! I really wanted to say something in this thread..

..then I remembered that sometimes my daughter longs onto here too and might read it! <SIGH>

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Rape being about power: Well, I think it's either about power or mental illness on the part of the rapist. This "truism" is also important for victims, so they hopefully will report it like a theft or a mugging. As opposed to feeling shame and wondering if they themselves were responsible. Sex is perceived to be a consensual act, and it's probably difficult for a victim to sort that out.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

I think (and I don't have references, I'm guessing) is that at least some rapists don't show much sign of an overwhelming sex drive - in other words, they're not "oversexed" in their personal lives. Thus, the thinking goes, something other than an overwhelming sex drive motivates at least that group of rapists.

(I had a very strange conversation once about this with a "man" - only to find out later it was a woman living and dressing as a man. Interesting that we had very different ideas about male sex drive and the importance it played in male behavior.)

lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, certain molestation pathologies are not tied to sexual stimulation. Those people in my mind are the worst kind of monsters, and are often not cured by loss of sex drive.
Yes. I dug up some statistics on this last time we had this debate, but I don't feel like looking again. It is still possible to rape . . . even the old fashioned way. (Though most of the post-castration rapes do involve implements.)

quote:
This is what bothers me. Something that does not infallibly solve the problem, that nevertheless lets this guy off early. I'm cool with it if this guy wants relief from his cravings, but if that's all he wants, he should not expect to get out early.

Sex offenders against children are treated the worst of anybody in prison. If I were in prison under those circumstances, I might well be willing to trade those pieces to get out early.

If this guy had raped me, I might get some satisfaction from his castration . . . if he also served his full sentence. I would not get any satisfaction from him being able to get out early on this basis. Now, I know many people say prison is not about punishment or vengeance. Unfortunately, it's not too good at reform or prevention either, though. I personally do like to have particularly evil criminals suffer.

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Only shooting them in the head is an infallable cure. Sadly, that is considered excessive by some.
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.