FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best Friend on AT

Author Topic: Best Friend on AT
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend left on Sunday to go do the Appalacian trail with her boyfriend.

I went to see her Saturday morning before I went to work. We watched Pokemon, chatted about life, liberty and the pursuit of a good concert. Before I left I told her I'd miss her and I loved her.

We've been friends for almost 9 years. She's been the only friend I've had for that long, and sometimes was my only friend. It just hit me now she's going to be gone for a while. I mean, on the ride home I was feeling really bummed---remembering when she went to Thailand over winter break---I wanted to call her but couldn't, and she was only gone for 3 weeks then. This trail is going to take her much longer. She thinks she and her dude can do it in four months, and believes she will be back by July, but I'm not so sure.

I'm just worried about her and I really, really miss her. [Frown]

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
You watched Pokemon? [No No]

I hope your friend is okay. I know how it's like to worry about a friend.

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

[Smile]

She's a big Pokemon fan. I never found a reason to get into it.

There's ice-storms in the southern mountains this time of year.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
If it would make you feel better and your okay eith it I can pray for your friend. [Big Grin]
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

That's fine with me. [Smile] Thanks.

I am a pagan, but I have nothing against praying--it's a natural thing when you believe in something of a higher power.

She might be weirded out about it--her boyfriend wouldn't like it b/c he's an atheist. But, I am praying for them, in my own way, and they need all the prayers they can get.

Thank you.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Are they hiking or biking it? I was under the impression that the Appalacian Trail was relatively safe and civilized these days. While I would be lonely without my friend, I don't know that there is true cause for worry either. I'm assuming they packed proper clothing and survival equipment so that they would be just fine should inclimate weather arise. (If they didn't, then go right ahead and worry all you like!)

*hugs* I know exactly how much you will miss her though. I have a couple of friends I miss that much myself. Unfortunately we have moved so I don't have them coming back to look forward to.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

They're hiking it.

Unfortunately, I think she believes that, since she will be in Georgia, it will be warm. She's forgetting she is on a mountaintop. She is forgetting there are icestorms this time of year. She believes she will make 15 miles a day, and be in Harper's Ferry by May 10th (Harper's Ferry is the midpoint). I was supportive of her, but, I don't think she will be able to do all of these things, because neither her or her boyfriend trained very well, and since she couldn't afford all the proper food (MREs, camp food) she bought ramen noodles. She does have MREs and Camp food, but not enough for the whole trip.

I know it's safe, she's not by herself. But she made some errors, I think. I hope not, though.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Sucks that she's going to be gone. On the other hand, she sounds way cool if she's hiking the AT this time of year. As you mentioned, it's pretty cold. And then there's the whole pokemon thing. [Cool] You're fortunate to have her as a friend. (Particularly as you are so uncool as to think pirates are better than ninjas. [Roll Eyes] )
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

**glares**

I will miss her much. She is pretty cool, but she's a bit silly at times. I actually found out a couple of years ago when we were freshman in high school, she thought I was the coolest person in the world, and wanted to be just like me.

Heaven knows why. I'm not that cool.

Thanks, everybody. [Smile]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

*not that it helps but now I'm curious.

the average temperature in Georgia for January was 45F Even if it drops in the mountains, it shouldn't get too bad.

http://trailquest.net/weather.html

This will help you keep an eye on it. Right now there doesn't appear to be a lot of danger of freezing. Though it is predicted to drop below freezing for a couple of nights and down to 25F one night next week. On the other hand if they've got good sleeping bags those temperatures are very doable.

AJ

[ March 03, 2004, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
she bought ramen noodles
Okay, this is cause for concern. I don't suppose she knows how to trap squirrels and turn them into jerky?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ramen noodles... lemme guess, got her hiking boots at K-Mart and figures that she'll find good clean water along the way, as well as plenty of good dry wood to make fires to boil it with?

Starla, you might want to keep praying. Most likely, though, I'd clear my calendar for the early part of next week, someone's going to need to pick her and her beau up near the NC/GA border.

It's been a wet, wet winter in the area. Probably shouldn't mention that rutting season for boars (rough feral pigs) although they aren't as common as they used to be.

Also, if she's allergic to bee stings... early warm weather brings out aggressive yellowjackets and hornets as they search for new nesting areas.

Sorry, that area's my home and while the AT can be one of the most pleasurable hiking grounds on Earth, it's something to not be taken too lightly. It's definitely not a good place to begin one's learning as a hiker.

Don't mean to scare you, but you might be amazed at how much money is taken from emergency services in the counties along the Appalachian Trail each year because they have to go out and search for "hikers" on the trail who didn't respect what they were in for.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I totally know how you feel, Starla. My best friend is in basic training right now and I am missing her terribly! She and I have been friends since we were 8, and have never really gone that long without talking. I am only able to write her and the phone calls she gets are to her new husband, [Grumble] he hogs the phone everytime. She left in January and won't be back until May. [Cry]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
At least where she's going is within walking distance.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to your friend. [Smile]

A friend of mine and I have been planning to do the AT since junior high. Most of the time estimates I've heard are around five months, but it depends. You should read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. It's hilarious. [Smile] And if he can survive the AT, I'm sure your friend can too.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

Sopwith,
Actually, she did get her boots from a good company, she has a good water filter, and I made sure I sent her off with waterproof matches and the like.

She thinks it's going to be warm down there, I know it's not.

As for the wet, I know she will hate that. I also know about the boars--we've seen them a few times in the Smokies when we used to vacation there, and they're preeeeeeeety nasty without it being rutting season.

And as I'm typing this, I can't remember who said the thing about squirrel jerky (pooka?), but it won't work---she's a vegetarian who would go vegan if she didn't starve while on that lifestyle.

And, Sopwith, I do know about the Trailrunners, because my stepfather wants to be on (our family is a part of the Appalancian Trail Conference).

Starla*
Member # 5835

And I forgot--

you are very, very right, it's not a beginner trail. Though Becks is not a beginner, she isn't of the caliper to go do the "trail." Bill was in a bad car accident 2 and a half years ago that mixed up his internal organs, and he is still pretty messed up from that, and not to mention has the poundage on him.

I hope the best for them. As of yet, I have not heard from them, so that may be a good thing.

Maybe. Hopefully.

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that looks like fun...

Possible future project. Thanks, dude.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Was wondering how they were doing. Let us know if you hear anything!

AJ

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's hope that everything goes well for them. Calling for snow in the southern Appalachians tonight...
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

I have no idea how she is doing. I'll keep everyone posted, though.

Thanx,

HLB

Starla*
Member # 5835

I got a post card from her dated March 17!!!

She mailed it from Fontana Dam, a place were my family and I vacationed about 9 years ago (and hated, might I add).

It was a lot colder than she thought it would be (I told her this, her mom told her this, but she was so gung-ho she wouldn't let her boyfriend bring a sweatshirt). She and him ended up having to go to a thrift store to buy jackets.

There are other backpackers on the trail that they are walking with right now, so they aren't alone.

She thinks she might be in Shenandoah (we vacation there a lot, and I love it) the week of May 10. I graduate on May 14, so maybe I'll go down there for a few days and walk with her.

Just wanted to let you all know. [Smile]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

*hugs* well it sounds like they are surviving in any case.

Glad to hear that she is ok. How is she doing compared to the pace that she thought she would be making?

AJ

Starla*
Member # 5835

She said she was making better time than she had thought, but, mysteriously, her projected date of arrival in Maine has changed from July to August.

I think she's making good time, but, from what I understand, the worst is yet to come.

Thanks, BannaOJ

skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
That's be the newest measure in pooktopia: you can become a parent after you've successfully traversed the AT.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

That would be great, but Becki hates (and I mean hates) kids. Her boyfriend loves them. I have no idea how this is going to work.
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
So, any news?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.