FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Author's Note

Author Topic: Author's Note
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I put a false author's note bio in my AIM profile, and everyone seems to love it. Writing these things is really fun, especially about yourself. Here's mine: (note: this includes my real name. To any stalkers out there, I welcome the advantage to legally cause grievous bodily harm)

quote:
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Foulmouthed, rude, and obscenely impulsive, Robert Bennett's continued existence remains a testament to everything that is wrong with mankind. His irrationally belligerent, aggresive, and usually unneccessary stance on an almost random array of issues confounds top psychiatrists, alarms passers-by, and could easily be considered as a psychosis. He's alive somewhere, for some reason, although if you asked us why or how we honestly couldn't tell you.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I changed it to "alarms passers-by" because that gives you the impression that I'm running up and shouting at people on the street.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't that you that just ran up to me on the street and shouted?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Was he wearing a kilt and a tiara?
Book
Member # 5500

No one else has any self-composed author's notes to contribute?
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Where's Shameless Self Promotion when you need him/her/whatever?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

It's fun.
Shardok
Member # 6247

- posted      Profile for Shardok   Email Shardok         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I would be I'm not a real bid writer/author, whatever.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should post in the "One line descriptions of people" thread.

[ March 05, 2004, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shardok
Member # 6247

- posted      Profile for Shardok   Email Shardok         Edit/Delete Post 
who me?
Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

But this is much more detailed, and, to me, easier. Here's one I just thought up with a random name:

quote:
Despite such setbacks as having no feet and a virulent taste for human flesh, Chris Fairchild's career as courtesan, fishmonger, and international drug kingpin continues to rise. He attributes all of his success to his ingenious tactic of asking people for money while holding a knife in plain view. His life long love has been his tomato garden, to which he proposed in 1973 and married the following spring. They live happily in South Carolina with their two sons.
I should write a lot of these and make a webstie generator.

[ March 05, 2004, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see it now, the "Which Chris Fairchilds are you?" test [Wink]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shameless Self-Promotion
Member # 4919

- posted      Profile for Shameless Self-Promotion   Email Shameless Self-Promotion         Edit/Delete Post 
Tada!
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
From the illustrators' bios in Leading Edge magazine (BYU's sf/fantasy magazine):
quote:
Ruth Palmer is actually quite normal. This is because she is trying very hard to conceal the fact that she is a tiger-like being from a planet which circles a star you’ve never heard of, and has square eyes and tentacles sprouting from her armpits. She is considered to be very beautiful on her planet, but made a mistake in achieving the same goal here. The reason she rarely speaks is because her vocal modifier is temporarily acting up, and you don’t want to hear what she really sounds like.

Palmer was my maiden name, and I illustrated a poem for the magazine . . . a black widow spider, nothing outstanding.

Oh, and a link: http://tle.byu.edu/issue41/aabios.php

[ March 05, 2004, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Brinestone ]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Harlan Ellison tends to write different bios for each of his books. A bunch of them are collected here.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Well, at least some people are cool.
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I have that issue! Actually, it's the only issue of Leading Edge I have!
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.