FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help Billie dress herself

Author Topic: Help Billie dress herself
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I got myself a pretty black dress (go me!) and I have some black shoes to wear with it, and some black sparkle thingys...no idea what kind of pantyhose to wear though :\. The lady at the store said I should wear black, but I have my doubts. Another lady at the store said I could probably get away with not wearing any, but, um, no.

Here are pictures. http://steelbubble.com/IM001066.JPG
http://steelbubble.com/IM001067.JPG
Forgive the low quality and messy hair [Smile] . Also just ignore the garland on the stairs...and yes, I know I need to stand up straight :\.

And now I'm off to get me a nice spray on tan [Wink] .

Seriously though, help with my stockings would be appreciated. I realize the shoes might not be ideal (well, actually I don't, I don't know the first thing about shoes) but don't really have the time/money to get anything different.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Fix your posture. *thwap*

And post more. --I--

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
*seconds Mack's thought*

Where have you been? Even little old me has been more active on the forum than you.

Nice dress btw.

[Hat]

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

*grins* I've been lurking.

And on second thought, if anyone has shoe suggestions I am open to them. I don't think the ones I have work for some reason. Just nothing neck or bank breaking. And no open toes.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice dress.

The shoes are okay, don't sweat it. If you get new ones, though, regular high heels (even relatively low ones) would do the job better.

No opinion on the stockings question.

No to the spray-on tan.

Special occasion?

[ March 05, 2004, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Not black for that dress. Part of it's beauty is in the contrast between the skirt hem dangly things and the color of your legs.

From the back, the shoes do look a little too chunky. A slim heel pointy toe would look better...maybe with crisscross straps. But if that's what you have, it'll work.

If it was my dress, I'd go for red and white stripe stockings. But then I'm a rebel.

What's the occasion?

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

I'm going to a wedding [Smile] . And I was kidding about the spray on tan, just trying to get Mrs. M's goat.
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it looks good. In my usual response to "how do I look?" questions: hey, I'd do ya.

The shoes don't look bad, but yeah, they're a bit clunky from the back. I don't know that I'd agree with pointy for the front, but maybe something a little slimmer on the heel. Maybe a shawl with a bit more "foof" to it, too.

And oh my goodness! That dress is sheer! [Eek!]

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
ladyday, you are one good looking jatraquera. Your husband's a lucky man. [Smile]

Oh, and good luck on the shoe thing. Personally, I think that dress would look best with bare feet as it would give a kind of diaphanous fairy look. But I guess that's not an option. [Razz]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, since your hair has a red tint and your skin is so pale (ala me ) you should just make sure to put some nice, warm color on your face.

Okay so you didn't ask about that. But, hey, I'd want someone to tell me. [Smile]

[ March 05, 2004, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the whole point of getting married is that you can finally relax and let yourself go. You have clearly negated that notion. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
What a pretty dress!! You look great!

I think that if you were to wear black hose the detail of the layered hem would get lost. If you feel to weird about going bare-legged, you could get some nice nude hose (as light as you can get - maybe even ivory, since you have very pale skin). If you do decide to wear hose of some sort, make sure it has a matte finish - you don't want shimmery hose competing with your dress (and for the most part, I think shimmery hose just looks weird). I think the shoes are ok, but if you want to go shoe shopping, I'd look for a thinner heel and maybe a fabric shoe, rather than a leather/leather-looking one (ideally I think some strappy sandals would look great, but you said no open toes).

[ March 05, 2004, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

Thanks for all of your help guys [Smile] . I think I will go with the nude pantyhose then.

I will give shoe shopping a shot; I agree that the issue is the heels of the shoes I have, and I like the idea of a fabric shoe.

John, the dress has layers, so I'm not sure if you're seeing the top layer, which is longer than the front, or if you're saying the whole thing is sheer...do I need more froofy things underneath the dress?

Wah, I didn't think of make up!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, maybe not for the wedding, but that dress screams out for some higher heels too, and black stockings with the seam down the back. Or ones with a bit of shimmer in them and a rhinestone at the back of the ankle.

Maybe for more of a night out with the hubby than for the wedding. But if you find something "just right" I'd say go for it.

I didn't think it was sheer at all. I obviously didn't look as closely as some others, though.

[Big Grin]

[ March 05, 2004, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Okay, maybe I know too much about this stuff.

Forget I said anything.

I'm a regular guy! Really!!!

I saw it in a car magazine. That's it! I was looking for an article on which are the best spark plugs.

<grunt>

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
With Billie's last post, all I saw was, "I'm going to go nude."

[Eek!]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
As for the sheer issue - it's hard to tell from the picture if we're just seeing layers of fabric or if we're seeing skin under there. I can see some sort of diagonal striping. Take a look at those pictures and see if you can see what we mean. If it really is skin we're seeing, then yes, by all means, add some more stuff under there for wearing to the wedding (even though your hubby may not like it). [Big Grin]

[ March 05, 2004, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not sheer as in "I can see right through it!" I can just kinda get the lines of your legs under the top layer. I doubt it's something that would be as racy as I implied.

I only mentioned the shawl being foofier, but that may get cumbersome or awkward. It actually looks really great.

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Help Billie dress herself
All this fashion crap aside, you are asking me to help dress you, right? Oh, dude, let's make this interesting -- I'm not allowed to use my hands.

Let the games begin!

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the dress and the way the back of your necklace mimics the hem of the dress. I second Bob's idea about the seamed stockings to continue the effect.
I usually go with a taupe stockings when wearing black.

Also, I'd trade the shoes for VERY simple pumps with a max 1-1/2" wide heal. Preferably with a wedgish rather than squarish feel. I think that it's the squareness of the shoes that make them not quite perfect with the soft, diamond angles of the dress.

[ March 05, 2004, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Black, "birdseye crochet" hose
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
ladyday, those shoes are entirely wrong for that dress. You need shoes with a pointed toe to match the hemline. I would go for a very high heel, but I'm relatively short. Here is what I would wear with that dress:

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2833258&category=2376778~2372808~2372940~2376188&PrevStyleID=2833171&NextStyleID=2833212

As to panty hose, is this a day or evening wedding? Nude hose are okay for daytime, but too informal for evening. I would wear a pair of very sheer and silky off-black hose for day or evening.

Lose the wrap. It is an unnecessary accessory that doesn't add anything to the look. The dress has so many details that they will cease to stand out.

I think your hair looks great as it is. Slightly unkempt hair is huge this spring and yours goes perfectly with the dress.

Whatever else you do, DO NOT WEAR RED LIPSTICK. From your picture, I would wear MAC Lovechild Tinted Lipglass. http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15112&PRODUCT_ID=PROD1438. Try it on, though, because I'm not sure how accurately the picture portrays your coloring. I would wear very little eye makeup - you don't need much and you want to have a very simple look so as not to fight with the dress.

quote:
And I was kidding about the spray on tan, just trying to get Mrs. M's goat.
[Razz]
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I am just wondering who pays $215 for a pair of shoes that could probably be found at Payless for less than the lipgloss costs.

[Razz]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
OOoooh, LadyDay, I was going to suggest "Greed" which happens to be on the same page as Mrs M's "Lovechild" because I use that. I have the same coloring as you and it's the closest I can get to red without looking terrible. But Mrs M is brilliant and Lovechild looks good too, so I would go to a MAC counter and try them both, wearing a black tank top or something.

Mrs. M, I don't know if you've ever tried Greed but it's not very red, so don't kill me! But I love wearing it, because it almost looks like I can pull off wearing red.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, I have indeed worn Greed. I wear it for evenings. It is a great almost-red for people who cannot wear true reds. If ladyday was wearing a different dress, I would have suggested it, but I think her face should be nude-ish with that dress. Her skin is so fair that red lips would give her a 50s look and that is not a 50s dress. BTW, thanks for the compliment. [Blushing]

Jeni - [Taunt]

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
When the revolution comes, we could do worse than line up against the wall all the people who have shoes that cost more than a minimum wage worker's weekly salary. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.