FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Top 3 Books

Author Topic: Top 3 Books
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
Your top three favorites of all time. Only three, no more.

1) The Crying of Lot 49
2) The Godfather
3) Man and Microbe

(Number three is likely to change soon)

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
3) Man and Microbe

(Number three is likely to change soon)

What, are you starting to get sick of it?
Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

No...its a great book, but it doesn't deserve to be number three. I just can't think of a better one right now.
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
1) LOTR
2) THHGTTG
3) The Spy that Came in From the Cold

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
1. The Lord of the Rings, J. R. R. Tolkien -- Yes, I'm counting the three books as one because they were split for publishing reasons.

2. Foucault's Pendulum, Umberto Eco.

3. Winter's Tale, Mark Helprin.

Of course, I am only thinking about fiction -- if I were to consider non-fiction as well, I'm not sure if I could so easily pick my top 3 favorite/most-influential.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

My top three now feels much better:

1) The Crying of Lot 49
2) The Godfather
3) Good Omens

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Argh. I am going to pick three, but they will be different tomorrow:

Rebecca,by Daphne du Maurier
The Once and Future King, by T.H. White
David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens

Edited to take out the three I put in invisible ink. I will cheat in a different way.

[ March 07, 2004, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E
Member # 1748

- posted      Profile for E   Email E         Edit/Delete Post 
A Soldier of the Great War, by Mark Helprin
Shogun, by James Clavell
Villette, by Charlotte Bronte

Posts: 22 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sorry, Book, but what is THHGTTG?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

Blasphemy!

It it The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A Soldier of the Great War, by Mark Helprin
Ooh! I haven't read this yet, but I just found a nice hardback copy the other day at a discount book store for only $4.
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
This is hard. I'll have to think.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for Good Omens. I consider Good Omens and THHGTTG to be somewhat interchangeable.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Auron of Zanarkand
Member # 6257

- posted      Profile for Auron of Zanarkand   Email Auron of Zanarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Children of the Mind

2. The Two Towers

3. Watership Down

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

Book:

I had THHGTTG there first, then I put Good Omens, then I put THHGTTG, then I put Good Omens.
[The Wave]

fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
1) L'etranger
2) Timbuktu
3) My Side of the Mountain

(100 years of solitude should be in there - it IS an incredible book)

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If someone were to put a gun to my head and demand that I name my three favorite books, I'm afraid I would not be long for this world.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delicate flower
Member # 6260

- posted      Profile for delicate flower   Email delicate flower         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Stephen King's "The Stand"
2. John Irving's "The World According to Garp"
3. Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth"

Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
TD,

I feel the same way. What's a favorite? Every time I see a new brilliant film, it is my favorite. Every time I hear a new great tune (or happen upon an old great tune) on the radio. That's my favorite.

Favorite is a hard thing to clarify on a timeless objectivist scale.

fallow

PS my favorite color is green.

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Me, too, Tom. What I decided was, OK, I will just write the three that come first and strongest to mind. A ton came. For instance, I JUST finished "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn." And how about C.J. Cherryh's "Fortress" series? Cruel!

Tom, if you used D.D. Shade's list of speculative fiction subgenres, could you choose three of each of those?

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide.
2. Speaker for the Dead
3. Lord of the Rings

I have to consider one and three as a series. Sorry, but that's just the way I read them, and it's hard for me to remember exactly what parts are in which books. I read the Ender series together too, but they were all different enough that I can remember my feeling of each of them.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

[Laugh] [Roll Eyes]
   ^      ^
   |      |________
 (That's a gun)    |
                            |
                          (That's Tom)

Now Tell.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.