FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guilty reading pleasures. Come on, we won't laugh. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Guilty reading pleasures. Come on, we won't laugh.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading my Organic Chemistry textbook every night before I go to bed. For fun. Not so much guilty as supremely sad, but oh well.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but I've have given up on Laurell K. Hamilton. Her early Anita novels were exciting, interesting, different, and I was a huge Jean-Claude fan.

But, they got into the sex too much. And then it turned to really violent sex and stuff that creeped me. I'm no prude, I had no trouble with most of the early books, but after Narcissus in Chains - I bowed out.

I read the Merry novels hoping to find the early Anita novels, and only found the later ones. So, she's off my list now.

As for guilty pleasures, I have a lot of the same ones you guys have: Pern, Redwall, ElfQuest, some DragonLance, and a few others.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I read posts on [shudder] pweb.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also read the Trixie Belden mysteries.
[Smile]

I'm reading Trixie Belden and The Black Jacket Mystery right now. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chizpurfle
Member # 6255

- posted      Profile for Chizpurfle   Email Chizpurfle         Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped reading Laurell K. Hamilton after the third book, not because I stopped liking it particularly, but because I'm too shy to buy it. I mean honestly, just look at the covers. Yes, in reading the novels I am basically admitting to myself that I am actually enjoying this fantasy equivalent of a trashy romance novel but...that is not the point!

The point here folks, is that no one is suppose to know. [Razz]

Posts: 35 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Noemon, I take it in the spirit it was intended.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like elfquest as well.
And Japanese Manga

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I personally love the So You Want To Be A Wizard series.
Ooh yes! Diane Duane's stuff -- ALL her stuff (well, except the V novels, haven't read those) is wonderful!

And I not only read fanfic, but on rare occasions write it. *glare* SO?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
So, we're breaking out the comic books too hey?

The Maxx, Dragonballs, and X-Factor.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I don't have many "guilty" pleasures. I cheerfully read comics and kids' books without any guilt.

OK, sometimes I'll peek at superhero comics at the newsstand. That's a guilty pleasure, since they're usually pretty mediocre... but I grew up reading them, so it's hard not to peek and see what the writers are doing with/to them nowadays...

Actually, probably my guiltiest pleasure is reading USA Today or the St. Louis Post-Dispatch if it's laying around. They're both bad newspapers and I know that if I read the news articles I'm filling up my head with shallow fluff versions of what's going on in the world and that I'd be better off reading articles in more serious papers or magazines... but... it's what's there in front of me... oh yeah, same for Newsweek or Time...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, yeah, and most of the books I read are young adult novels...
But those are the BEST books!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no guilty pleasures. I revel in them all. Science fiction, fantasy, vampires, good romance, funny chic lit, comics, kid's books, erotica, anything that holds my attention and (especially) makes me laugh or think, I carry proudly.

It helps that I'm exceptionally difficult to embarrass.

But, let me get this straight. Some of you read books and then... get rid of them? Out of the house and to other people and everything?

Wow. That would clear up some space, wouldn't it? Hmm...

[ March 09, 2004, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I love comics. Especially manga and the really obscure superheroes, who often have some of the greatest artistic style in the drawings.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.