FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Moral: Trust your instincts.

Author Topic: Moral: Trust your instincts.
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been seeing someone the past few weeks. Last time I had talked to him was Wednesday night. On Friday and Saturday, I tried to get a hold of him. I left messages for him, the last one Saturday morning.

I kept getting this nagging feeling something was wrong, or was going to go wrong. I dismissed it on the bad weather and my over-exhaustion. I was also a bit frustrated he didn't call me back. But, by Sunday, I felt okay about it. Like--it bothered me, but not a lot. Almost like I knew he had a reason why. I also had this thought that floated into my head that kept telling me he got into a car accident. I said to myself "no way, quit being stupid, you're just being melodramatic."

I kept trying to keep the advice given to me from my friends--Don't call him again, wait til he calls you. I was doing well with that, and I figured I'd stop by his job on Tuesday afternoon.

Around 9:30-10 pm, I got this nagging feeling to call him. When I got home, I was alone, so I gave him a call, expecting no one to answer. Well, he did.

It turns out he did get into a car accident Saturday night, and was promptly arrested. Luckily, no one was hurt, but he faces hefty fines and probably a temporary loss of his driver's license. Not to mention insurance, the possiblity of a lawsuit between now and 2 years from now, and his car is totaled.

He is going to school for teaching, and now may have to change his plans for that, because he's afraid no one will hire him with this on his record.

He also told me that something told him not to go out that night, not to go to the bar, to stay home. But he didn't listen to his instincts. Just like I didn't listen to mine. Unfortunately, he has to pay for his mistakes.

He's really bent up over this, and I can understand why. He knows this is all his fault, and is willing to face that, but he just feels really aweful right now.

Moral. Don't drink and drive. And ALWAYS trust your instincts. That nagging voice is there for a reason.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how many times I'll have to learn that lesson before it sinks in.

...not about drinking and driving, just about trusting my instincts. In the general case.

That's a real shame. [Frown]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard---especially in this type of society that teaches us that experts and machines know better than we do. Him and me actually had this discussion on instincts--he said he heeded them more when he was younger. I try to heed them more now, listen to them carefully, if I can. Usually, I don't even realize its there.

This has nothing to do with this, but he's the first guy I've dated in YEARS that has had a car and a license AT THE SAME TIME. I was kind of excited over this---not having to drive all the time. Now this. I'm starting to wonder if I am a curse....

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.