FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "I Don't Want You Back"

Author Topic: "I Don't Want You Back"
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
F**k what I said, it don't mean sh*t now
F**k the presents, might as well throw `em out
F**k all those kisses, they didn't mean jack
F**k you you ho, I don't want you back

What the HELL is the fascination with this juvenile song? It's on MTV, on at least three radio stations' regular rotation, and is practically everywhere I look when I want to listen to some hip-hop. The excuse that "hip-hop sux" doesn't fly with me, because something doesn't suck just because you have no preference for it. I'm not partial to country, bluegrass, and similar genres, but I know of songs I like from each, making it proof the genre doesn't suck.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
there's also a new female response version to the song. same tune, but a girl singing it to the guy.

i don't get it. i'll admit i liked the song originally. it's got a catchy tune. but it's started to grate on me recently. and it didn't take long at all.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

That guy's whiney voice got to me from the get-go. Now I just want him to shut up.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

heh...i just saw the video for the first time like an hour ago. and ever since actually seeing the guy who has the voice i can't help but laugh when i think about it.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayato
Member # 6307

- posted      Profile for Ayato   Email Ayato         Edit/Delete Post 
Never even heard of the song. I never listen to the radio, only my own Cds...
Posts: 16 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt this way about the song "Teenage Dirtbag".
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

how do you find new music?

just curious. i'm not a big fan of the radio. i try to mostly only listen to cds in my car. and i don't really ever watch mtv anymore. But there is still music being made on a constant basis. and some of it is even good.

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
< -------- likes "Teenage Dirtbag" though no longer is one due to the inevitable flow of time

[Mad]

[ March 10, 2004, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
*glad I have never heard this song*
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

Indeed, Ela. And that isn't even the most blatantly obscene part of the song.

What bothers me most is that, because of naughty-word-censors, a good portion of the song is conveniently blanked out, even though the words are spaced far enough apart to get the idea anyway. Aside from the constant naughty words, the "wrong"-ness of which is debateable, what good is playing a song that is so completely chopped up?

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
"Teenage Dirtbag" is terrible. I didn't know if it was a girl or a boy singing it at first and how DARE they put that song on my ROCK station during "The Pit"? For CRYING OUT LOUD. It is no more rock than Hanson. Speaking of boys that sound like girls.

Only Frankie Valle can pull that off, and make me swoon.

[No No]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
< ------- listens to "Teenage Dirtbag" [Taunt]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

[Laugh] at Corwin.
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Liked Teenage Dirtbag, too... the same way I like Bowling for Soup's "Punck Rock 101" anyone that can be both genuinely funny *and* self-mocking simultaneously gets an "a" in my book [Smile]
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I periodically get completely fed up with popular music and refuse to listen to the radio for a few weeks or even months. But eventually I run out of CDs and come crawling back. Most of the R&B and hip-hop that gets radio time in LA is not to my taste. It's just too much misogyny and "bling bling" mentality for me.

Having said that, I'm still having trouble getting "Hey Ya" out of my head, and the mix CD my brother made me a couple of years ago with the Black-Eyed Peas (I actually like a fair amount of their new stuff, too) and Jurassic 5 has been in my changer for about 6 weeks now.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yeah, Jurassic 5 is pretty awesome. But my favorite one gets the least play. [Frown]
saxon75
Member # 4589

Paula, my favorite is definitely "Concrete Schoolyard." How about you?

I also really like Ozomatli's first album. The second was alright, but they were better before 2na decided to put all of his efforts into J5.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Um...

*remains silent*

Okay I can't be silent. I like 2na.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*once adored Hanson*

*runs away*

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Whoa sorry saxon, I totally misread your post. I thought it meant that J5 was better until 2na put his efforts into them.

[Embarrassed]

Right now I like "What's Golden" the best even though it's probably played out on some rap stations, because I don't listen to rap stations and no don't get to hear it everyday.

I haven't heard the album with "Concrete Schoolyard" on it yet so I went and listened to it a bit. I swear that guy raps just like Left-Eye.

[ March 09, 2004, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

Heh, I was a little confused there. Yeah Ozo was way better with 2na than they are now, IMO. I haven't heard the one you mentioned, but I'll keep an ear out for it. (Is that even a real figure of speech?)
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

We'll say, "Yes. Yes it is."
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
"Teenage Dirtbag".......who the.....?
Radio has too many commercials. I love having a cd player. Too bad the tape deck don't work. I like classic and modern rock, metal, country (and western), jazz, classical and punk rock. hip hop, rap, and alternative are just too.......for lack of better words "cheap."

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*once adored Hanson*

*runs away*

I can beat that. I STILL listen to Hanson.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Hanson, they live around here somewhere...in fact, one of the boys is married and has at least one little kid. How do I know? Hubby's on the fire department here, and about a year ago he went on a vehicle accident call. A young lady's SUV was in a ditch, and the front of it was wrapped around a tree. The lady and her baby (who was strapped into a car safety seat) were fine. Yep, it was the spouse of one of the Hanson boys. She later sent autographed CD's to the fire department for all of the responders.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
I never liked Hanson. I never heard of this song that John is talking about.

I did, however, like "Teenage Dirtbag." It took me a while, and I did think it was a woman singing it at first. It came out around my sophmore year in college. I think the name of the band was Wheatus, or Weetus, or something of that sort.

I've noticed a swing in culture, from supporting women to not. I think we're pop-culturally in the downswing, because I hear other rap and hip-hop songs trashing women, and some rock songs as well, though they're more subtle about it.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what? the first time I heard that song, I cracked up.

And I STILL crack up when I hear it.

Why?

Because it's got all the typical parts of a hip-hop love ballad.

And the lyrics are completely the opposite.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
hee hee...

After the recent school play, I no longer hear "Teenage Dirtbag" in my head... I hear the play version: "Fairy in Training."

As to the other song, I'm glad I've never heard of it.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard the chorus on an iTunes sample, and my reaction was similar to mack's. It kind of reminded me of "She Hates Me" by Puddle of Mudd or "Why Does This Always Happen To Me?" by Weird Al.

[Friggin' apostrophes...]

[ March 09, 2004, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. It just made me crack up. She Effin Hates me ALSO made me crack up. The whole juxtaposition of drippy love ballad stuff with...bad mean breakup lyrics.

Satire. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
She Hates Me is incredibly hilarious. And a few others....
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.