FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pope orders Mass Burning of the Bible

Author Topic: Pope orders Mass Burning of the Bible
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that you're here, I want to hear the strangest Biblical stories or parables you can think of. I'm talking about little-known stories like Onan. Go forth, and seek the strange and unusual.

(I only made the Topic what it is so that those who know the Bible very well would get riled up and come in here. I apologize if I offended you.)

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The part after Sodom and Gomarrah's burning always annoys me.
And the story about the boys getting eaten by bears as well.
But the best story was about this boy with a long name who became a king, that story rocks. We had a couple of bible stories books. there were about 13 volumes but we just had the first two but my aunt had them all which is why I know a lot of bible stories.

[ March 12, 2004, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

Where is the part about boys being eaten by bears?
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the talking ass in Numbers 22 (or 23).
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The part after Sodom and Gomarrah's burning always annoys me.

What, you mean the bit about Lot and his two daughters?
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo! I like that story too.
See, Elisha was walking along when these boys shouted, go up thou bald head, go up.
And he prayed and then bears came and ate them.
Then there was the story of the never ending supply of oil and the one about the young soldier that had leprosy and had to dip into the Jordan to cure it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Elisha and the bears is a weird one. So's Jesus and the fig tree (and the exorcism into pigs, for that matter.) The whole bit with Lot -- from the angel rape to the daughter-pimping to the slaughter to the pillar of salt to the drunken daddy seducing -- is downright lurid. The part where Elijah pours a bunch of water -- during a drought -- on a bonfire and has God ignite it in a challenge vs. the priests of Baal is pretty memorable, especially since he then has them hacked to bits. And so on...
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

Can I get verses on these? Or perhaps I key word that I could search for?
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where is the part about boys being eaten by bears?
2 Kings 2:23-24
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is the woman who puts a tent peg through a guy's head. Who says women never do anything in the Bible? [Wink]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the one where the entire camp has to get circumcised, and then they all get hacked. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
The one where the Levite in Gibeah gives his daughter and his guest's concubine up for rape instead of him. That's a rather odd one. My pastor was going throug that book and got to that passage.

Made an intresting sermon.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delicate flower
Member # 6260

- posted      Profile for delicate flower   Email delicate flower         Edit/Delete Post 
A horrible one is Jephthah in Judges 11 who promised God that if he wins against the Ammonites he will sacrifice the first thing that comes out of his house when he comes home victorious. Then he wins and the first thing to come great him is his only daughter. NEVER make promise you don't want to keep. (He did keep it though, I'm not sure what I think about that.)

I also think, "Mene, Mene, Tekel, Parsin" to myself a lot when I watch the news or hear about the stupid things people are doing. That's the hand writing on the wall from Daniel 5, which is not really that obscure.

BTW, this may be a stupid question, but I can't figure out how to change my password, can someone help me? (But, I also don't want to derail this thread, that would be rude to HRE, and I find him very entertaining. He crackes me up. [Smile] )

Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Xavier
Member # 2852

- posted      Profile for Ghost of Xavier   Email Ghost of Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at your profile, I see you are from Upstate NY flower [Smile] .

I lived the first 22 years of my life in the Syracuse area, and graduated from Oswego State last May.

Where are you from?

Oh and to answer your Q, click on the profile link in the upper righthand corner. Then there is a password field with circles in it. Delete that field and enter your new one, and hit the submit button.

[ March 12, 2004, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Ghost of Xavier ]

Posts: 80 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delicate flower
Member # 6260

- posted      Profile for delicate flower   Email delicate flower         Edit/Delete Post 
THANK YOU! I swear I tried that before and it didn't work. Why is it that you can never figure out the obvious until someone points it out?

And I'm from Rochester. But my office has a branch in Syracuse and I'm there a lot. All I can say is "You're a 315er [Taunt] "

[ March 12, 2004, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: delicate flower ]

Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the guy in Acts who fell asleep during a sermon and fell off a balcony to his death. Fortunately, Paul was in a good mood and raised him back.

Bet the guy never fell asleep in Church again, though...

[ March 13, 2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Xavier
Member # 2852

- posted      Profile for Ghost of Xavier   Email Ghost of Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I'm from Rochester. But my office has a branch in Syracuse and I'm there a lot. All I can say is "You're a 315er "

I have some friends who live in Rochester, and have been there quite a few times.

And I must say, now I am an 858er (San Diego), so should point out that it is currently in the 70's ever day [Smile] . I haven't seen snow all winter. After growing up in upstate NY (and especially Oswego), you can imagine how amazing that is to me [Taunt] .

Posts: 80 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What about King Saul, who ultimately lost the throne of Israel because he showed mercy -- albeit briefly -- to a defeated tribe, only to be rebuked and humiliated as the prophet Samuel brought in the man he'd spared and hacked him to pieces in front of the throne?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it had more to do with the disobedience than the mercy... but alas.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the letter that John wrote to his widowed sister in-law and her children. Wonder how she got to be a widow.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Taalcon: yeah, when a prophet of God tells you to kill every man, woman and child of your enemy, you'd apparently better do it. *laugh*

[ March 12, 2004, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
delicate flower and Taalcon, cool examples! I don't remember either of those. (Thanks also for the advice on how to change password--I needed that.)

I think some of Ezekiels visions were really trippin'.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

SMITE! SMITE! SMITE!

-God

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the story of the assasin killing a very fat man in Judges 3. He was so fat that the dagger, hilt and all was swallowed up into the fat "and the dirt came out" [Confused]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A horrible one is Jephthah in Judges 11 who promised God that if he wins against the Ammonites he will sacrifice the first thing that comes out of his house when he comes home victorious. Then he wins and the first thing to come great him is his only daughter. NEVER make promise you don't want to keep. (He did keep it though, I'm not sure what I think about that.)
Have you ever read "The Oresteia" by Aeschylus? A very similar occurance of father sacrifices daughter.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me that scholars have found that Isaac was either under 12 or over 20 when Abraham was commanded to put him on the alter and kill him.

Because, of course, if Isaac had been a teenager, it wouldn't have been a sacrifice.

[Big Grin]

I am recalling all the sacrament meetings when my brother Eric and I used to read the intro to The Song of Solomon, where, in italics, there's a little official Church blurb that SofS is NOT inspired doctrine. [Razz]

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom:

They weren't supposed to kill every man woman and child. They were supposed to rape the virgins and keep them for themselves.

Then there's the part about the penalty for rape being that the rapist has to take his victim as a wife. That sure is fair to her, right?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Then there's the part where Jesus tells his followers to steal a donkey, and if someone asks what they're doing, they're supposed to say "my master has need of it."

That should get them off the hook.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Oh, and the part where God shows Moses his butt.
HRE
Member # 6263

Right...hold on...

*Wipes raindrops off of keyboard*

There seems to be a thundercloud of sorts hovering over my head at the moment.

Is there anything funny in the Bible, outside of Onan and SofS?

I remember my Sunday School teacher in third grade asking us if we had any questions about the Bible, and I asked her to explain a particualr verse in SofS, which I did not understand at my age.

After months of telling me that the Bible was the inspired and directed by God himself, and that no part could be left out of reckoning simply because it was "uncool," she said to me, "That book is not important. Don't bother with it. Next question."

I think that might be the reason I am the way I am today. [Wink]

And mr_porteiro_head, of course dirt came out. Thats what fat men are made of, afterall.

[ March 13, 2004, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: HRE ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

There are lots of funny parts in the Bible, depending on how you look at it. The fig tree thing is hysterical, for example, as is the whole thing with David and the thousand foreskins. And, of course, if you're a fan of the Song of Solomon, the compliment "your hair is as a flock of wild goats" is always amusing. [Smile]

[ March 13, 2004, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

HRE
Member # 6263

The thousand foreskins of David?

Ouch?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.