FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » First encounters with relatives

Author Topic: First encounters with relatives
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have any stories about meeting the family of their significant other? From what I hear, it's always an experience... I can vouch for that.

Earlier today, I went out to dinner with Stryker and his family. His grandparents were in town a week, ending tomorrow. After we sat down at the table, the first question Stryker's grandmother asked me was "So, tell me... why are you with him?"

[Confused]

Poor Stryker... I felt quite sorry for him. [Wink]

(((Stryker))) [Kiss]

I didn't answer that one!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
My freshman year, I dated a guy at Harvard. I went to his house for seder. When I met one of his relatives, she asked me, "Do you go to Harvard?" and I replied no, that I go to Brown. And her face fell a little, said, "Oh," and got quiet.

heheh. And one of his brothers is a PhD student at Brown.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
We were in Canada, and this was dinner with David's uncle -- the man who helped raise him, who was sort of a combination father/brother more than anything else.

I was nervous. Scared silly, actually. We were at a rib joint and I downed two margaritas, got frisky with David under the table (tequila does that to me), and started telling completely inappropriate jokes.

Uncle Jim, a bachelor geologist-prospector, lifted the eyebrows completely off his head. Then he topped me with a hoot of a tall tale (quite blue, indeed), and David hastily changed the subject.

For years after that, I was banned from having tequila at family gatherings. I thought the whole matter had blown over until we invited Uncle Jim out to dinner some three years later.

He puffed on his pipe, rolled his eyes at me, and cracked, "Depends on if you'll be ordering the margaritas." [Big Grin]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Raia: restraint shows class. (I had no restraint.) You did well by not answering.

Suneun, what's the matter with Brown? [Confused]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Heheh, nothing at all, as far as I know. I think it just wasn't quite as good as Hah-vaahd for her. They're one of those compulsively overachieving families. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first met Tony's mother, she didn't really approve.

I think she saw me as an 18 year old hussy out to corrupt her (28 year old) son - odd perception, really.

But now she loves me. I get calls when Tony is away to make sure I'm ok, little presents and I'm often told "You know, you could do much better". Jokingly, of course. She has however told Tony unjokingly that he better not break up with me, or he'll be in big trouble.

Gotta love the family sticking up for you - even where it's unneccessary. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dangermom
Member # 1676

- posted      Profile for dangermom   Email dangermom         Edit/Delete Post 
My now-husband wanted me to meet his folks--and the opportunity was a family reunion. So off we went to a biggish park in Sacramento to meet every single relative at once! His mom immediately decided that I was the answer to her prayers. (I, OTOH, was marriage-phobic and wanted nothing less than to discuss weddings.) "Tact" not being her middle name, she spent the whole day hinting at marriage while we both writhed inside.

Oh well, it worked out fine. [Smile]

Posts: 335 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Oh, and by the way CT, I can't imagine you ever telling a joke of the risque variety.

On the other hand, if CT does it, it must be classy...

*goes off to prepare blue jokes for the next gathering with Tony's family*

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
oh boy, imogen. just wait a bit. CT goes through phases of bawdiness. You just wait. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I know. I considered putting a [Wink] but decided not too.

Of course, the clarification is probably even less subtle.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Blushing] [ROFL] [Blushing]
kinglear
Member # 6211

- posted      Profile for kinglear   Email kinglear         Edit/Delete Post 
Acutally, I once had an interesting time meeting the family of someone I was dating. I went with her to meet/have dinner with her father and stepmother. We all get there, sit down, and it takes us a minute, but it turns out I already knew her family from when I was working as an assistant for a scuba class they both took. I actually knew her family better than I knew her at the time.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dangermom
Member # 1676

- posted      Profile for dangermom   Email dangermom         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, and then there was when DangerDad met my folks...

They got along great, actually. And then, DDad found out where my dad was from. "Oh, my mom's best friend lives there with her family. Do you know the xxxxx's?"

My dad replied, "Oh. Yes. Mr. xxxxx was the lawyer who sued my parents while my father was dying." (In a completely pointless and wrong-headed suit, and he kept moving the date, prolonging the agony.)

Ever heard the phrase "it went over like a lead balloon"?

Posts: 335 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tzadik
Member # 5825

- posted      Profile for Tzadik   Email Tzadik         Edit/Delete Post 
I met lissande's mom for the first time on New Year's Eve when she was visiting Prague. Was so nervous, even threatened lissande i'll speak no english and she will have to translate. But after i waited for them for like an hour (yes, was at our meeting point an hour before trying to calm down) it all went great, we had nice time and all. And I can say, she likes me now, which is very nice.

Guess lissande will have a more interesting story to tell.

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
No significant other = No significant others family.

Life likes to work out that way for me.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Tzadik looked so calm and collected while meeting my mother for the first time. From her side of the table, the huge hole he was picking in the side of his styrofoam coffee cup was invisible. I just sat there wide-eyed, staring at it as he compulsively picked it bigger and bigger. [Eek!] I was pretty nervous because after that her only reaction was, "he's nice" - not exactly warm. But every time we saw him after that during the two weeks she visited me, the comments got better and better until finally I think she likes him better than me. She certainly emails him more.

But oh, my child. Stories about meeting SO's relatives? After meeting Tzadik's parents, I have very little sympathy for anyone who at least speaks the language of the family they're meeting. Tzadik's parents DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH. As in NONE. As in they can say "OK." Compounding this is the fact that I DON'T SPEAK SLOVAK. As in I speak Czech like a barbarian (in fact if someone asks me that's what I say - Mluvim cesky jako pohan), which means they understand me fine if I can manage to say what I want, and I can sort of occasionally understand them. It was painful. Wanting to make my best impression, to seem like the intelligent person I am (in English), I say something along the lines of, "I you to meet is nice. You have food son. I mean good." Of course, I shouldn't complain - when I met Tzadik's mother, he translated the parts I didn't understand. Into Czech. [Wall Bash] In some ways I think this is worse than not speaking a word of the other language - if he were Persian I would make no attempt and just smile sweetly and allow him to speak for me. But I speak just enough to be forced to sound stupid. [Smile]

And this doesn't even go INTO the trauma of cooking for both his parents, when they came in January and I met his father for the first time. Invite them to my apartment to eat my cooking so that both can be judged from the perspective of a culture with very specific ideas about what constitutes a proper meal and home, none of which I can possibly live up to at this point. *shudder* I decided to make no attempt to have a culturally appropriate meal, as I don't know how to cook one yet. We had an "American" dish (shepherd's pie) that would be new but unobjectionable, and "American pastries" (chocolate chip cookies). And, score for Lissande, they liked it. And me. I'm not going to probe into how much of that is simple relief that there is someone willing to marry their son. [Big Grin]

Anyway. In case you missed it - THEY DIDN'T SPEAK ENGLISH. I had to speak pathetic Czech to them. *sob*

Carry on.

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Lissande, it sounds like my lovly lady got off easy. Hey Raia, you did great, i'm getting good rports from the grandparents (they just left)

*Hug* Raia [Kiss]

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

(((Lissande))) I'm sure you did just fine. If nothing else, they would have been impressed with the effort you put in!
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My cousin Shannan came to my grandparents house and announced that she was engaged, started showing off the ring, etc.

My grandmother, God bless her, said "Oh, Shannan, you could do so much better!"

She then clamped her hand over her mouth and had this look of horror, as if she couldn't believe what came out of her own mouth. [ROFL]

Incidentally, Shannan and her husband have been married for more than 10 years and have two children. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I resisted posting on this thread when I first saw it because I know my story trumps any and every other story. Or, it had better.

When I moved to Ontario to go to Waterloo I met a girl and shortly after first term we started dating. Over "spring break" (which happens in mid February) we decided to get together at her parents house in Toronto, I'd meet her folks she'd show me the big city (I'm from rural Nova Scotia, the biggest city I'd had any experience with to date was a little over 100,000 people. Toronto is decidedly larger). So, I get there Monday evening, her mom's an agent and wasn't set to come home that day until later that evening. So, said girl and I make dinner and chill for a few hours. Her mom comes home and it's clear she's in a bad mood and really miffed about something. We talk for all of 5 minutes, long enough to exchange names at which point I'm told I'm going to have to leave. "And go where??" "I don't know, find somewhere." A few minutes later I'm out the door with my backpack in hand and a stunned expression on my face. Several freezing days living on the streets later I resurface when my uncle comes home and I move in with him for the weekend before going back to school.

Her mother and I never really got along, oh the stories I could tell. She was pretty happy when you broke up and, really, I'm pretty happy I'm never going to have to deal with her again. (God willing).

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Stryker: Oh really? What did they say? *super curious* (((((Stryker))))) [Kiss]

Btw, people... what this kid did not mention is that he had to put up with half an hour of "Jewish mother treatment" when he came to pick me up once, and he was early, and I was a little late (due to not being able to shut up my voice teacher)... poor Stryker. Jewish families (especially the Israeli ones) can be rather intimidating. [Wink] *more hugs*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I met Christy's mother, I got into an argument with her about gay rights. *wry laugh* I think it took her YEARS -- literally years -- to recover. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I met dkw's family awhile ago. They fed me. Now I may never leave...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my, I wrote a long rambly post for this thread last night, starting out "It's way too late at night for me to be posting."

Apparently it was and I didn't ever click the right button to post it!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
My in-laws are about as innocuous as you could imagine. They have always been great to me. I think I probably met them briefly in high school, when my (now) wife and I were just friends, but I never spent any time with them until she invited me to go waterskiing with her whole family.

Now, I'm not the kind that makes a good first impression while wearing swim trunks, but they were really cool. Over the next few months they invited me to Thanksgiving dinner when my own family was out of town, and brought me along when they all went on a vacation to SoCal.

They still haven't gotten over the fact that I didn't ask their permission to marry their daughter, but we just joke about it. And after ten years (eight married), I still don't think I've exchanged a total of five hundred words with my father-in-law. I think he likes me, but with him there would be no way to know.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I met Kristine's family, we went down to Miami for the weekend so K could go to her sister's baby shower. I was left at home with her father all by myself for the day.

Her Dad is a contractor and decided he need to determine if I was handy at all. My test was to see if I could repair a rusty wheelbarrow. It took me most of the afternoon, but I did it. In my defense, the bolts were rusted shut and the holes on the new handles didn't line up with the holes on the frame.

I found out later I had been deemed "not very handy". I countered with the fact that he must be a lousy contractor if he leaves his tools out in the rain to get rusty. We get along great now.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I ever spoke to my mother-in-law was to call her at midnight and tell her I had my wife, her only daughter, sent to the hospital because she had told me she had taken a bunch of pills.

Ahh... good times.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I met my hubby through his mom. [Big Grin] I was lucky that she approved of me enough to get him to follow me around at church, trying to get up the guts to talk to me. It was funny.

On the other hand, when I met Jesse's more extended family, I was introduced as "Jesse's friend" even though we had been together for months.

Raia: Did she mean "Why are you with him?" as an insult to him? Or was she just trying to figure out where you were coming from? I might ask my son's gf the same thing, just trying to determine if she were in it for fun or the long haul.

[ March 17, 2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no stories about other people's relatives, but someone else does about mine.

When Michael first told my dad that he loved me, my dad said, "Are you sure? You know she's strong-willed."

We later concluded that strong-willed = not-easily-put-upon. If you asked, he'd never say he meant it as an insult. It was just the first thing that popped into his head. Isn't that somehow worse?

*having a not-good day*

[ March 17, 2004, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
The men in my family insult me daily in the attempt to be kind.

My grandpa would visit and bring presents for all us cousins. We would line up while he passed out the gifts, and I would stand at the end of the line. When he would reach me, he would have nothing, and so he would hand me the paper bag the gifts had been in. I think he really thought he was being thoughtful. No pity please. This really makes me laugh. We've learned to live with the fact that Grandpa's kind of a jerk.

My uncle, Dude, scares my son. He pats him on the head and calls him "tender-hearted". I don't know why that ticks me off so much but it does.

My other uncle, Blue, laughs when people are upset. He really thinks he's building relationships or something. Once, when I first moved to Tucson, he pointed me in the wrong direction when showing me where the bus stop was (by accident) and laughed at me when I came back three hours later after walking six miles in 110 degree heat, with no water. Even when I cried, he still laughed.

Thing is, none of these guys would consider their behavior to be that of "jerks".

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I should be in bed, shouldn't be posting. The first time I met Steve's relatives was at his graduation. They didn't know we were living together. He hadn't even told his mother. They took it in stride. Rather than going out somewhere, because all resuraunts are booked on graduation, we ordered takeout chineese. It worked out pretty well.

We didn't spend a lot of time with his father, though. His father and father's girlfriend (now fiancee) consume alcohol regularly. His father used to be a bartender. The first couple times we visited them I got exceedingly intoxicated, because his father kept refilling my rasberry lemonade vodka drink. He'd made an entire pitcher. They are totally cool people though. I was a nervous wreck meeting them. Steve kept telling me not to that his relatives were nice. They are, I just didn't know relatives could actually be that nice, since all I had to judge from were my own. It was a very pleasant surprise!

AJ

(I wrote this over 24 hours ago and forgot to hit add reply)

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Raia: Did she mean "Why are you with him?" as an insult to him? Or was she just trying to figure out where you were coming from? I might ask my son's gf the same thing, just trying to determine if she were in it for fun or the long haul.
OH no, she meant it as an insult to him! Hehe... (((Stryker))) Yeah, he knows it. [Wink] Luckily, she dropped that after I didn't answer!
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, insulting, rude and cheats at cards, thats my grandma
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poseidon
Member # 5862

- posted      Profile for Poseidon   Email Poseidon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My grandpa would visit and bring presents for all us cousins. We would line up while he passed out the gifts, and I would stand at the end of the line. When he would reach me, he would have nothing, and so he would hand me the paper bag the gifts had been in. I think he really thought he was being thoughtful. No pity please. This really makes me laugh. We've learned to live with the fact that Grandpa's kind of a jerk
[ROFL]

humm, anyway...

when i was twelve, my mom married my best friend's dad so we became stepsisters. that summer, my mom went with my stepdad to Chicago, where his family lives. a couple months after they came back, my mom and i were talking about some stuff that had been in the news, and she happened to mention that my friend had an aunt who was lesbain(my stepdad's sister). it turned out that my stepdad never told my friend that her aunt was gay because he was embarrassed by it. so now I know that my friend's aunt is gay, but she doesn't.
it puts me in an interesting frame of mind. i really wonder if i should tell her. we both like her aunt Ann very much. then again, she probably knows, being the sneaky little cat that she is.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

I'd also like to mention that a certain some one, a freind of Raia's who reffered to herself as mummy, met me not too long ago, the first thing she said was,"Mummy doesn't aprove".

I just had to add that one, i mean the thread is about to die anyways. [Dont Know]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.