FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bad Musicals (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bad Musicals
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
A few people in that other thread are listing dozens of musicals, leading me to wonder if they are listing their favorites or simply dropping names . . .

List here musicals you hate. Double points in the "Emperor's New Clothes" category if they are musicals that everybody claims to love that you think are horribly overrated.

My list:

Cats
Starlight Express
Les Miserables
The King and I

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

oh, crud . . . how did I forget Chicago?
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
You're serious?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Cats is terrible, I agree. I also thinks Crazy for You needs to be hauled off into the street and shot.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Singing in the Rain
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Carousel

No words can express the depths of my disgust for that musical.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Carousel has some great and memorable songs, but the idea behind it really bugs me.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Stop naming all my favourite musicals! Crazy for You is cheesy... but fun.

I don't know whether to be completely heartbroken or laugh at myself.

EDIT: Not carousel though, and the King and I. Although I saw it at Stratford and it was quite spectacular.

[ March 17, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Jinx!!!!
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really think of any I don't like, except Carmen which is actually an opera. I really didn't enjoy it.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
We just saw Cats and I really liked it. We saw a co-worker of Tom's there, though, who didn't know anything about it beforehand and didn't realize that THERE IS NO PLOT! *giggle* Its more a ballet than a musical. She was disappointed.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Carousel is the worst, the absolute worst.
Oklahoma (except for two songs)
Finian's Rainbow
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Flower Drum Song
Kiss Me Kate

I'm sure I'll think of more later. Just now, I remembered another favorite that I'll have to add to the other Musicals thread.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

*pat pat*

I don't like Cats or Starlight because they don't have a plot . . . they are all spectacle. I'm not a big fan of Webber anyway, but to me those two are his worst--

Ooh, wait, I forgot Song and Dance. Yeah, that sucks too.

Anyway, I didn't like King and I because . . . how to put this . . . the songs suck. (other than the one, of course. The Music Man has the same problem.)

Les Miserables because it makes me want to go jump out a window. And shoot myself while in the air. With a noose tied around my neck.

And Chicago because all the characters are reprehensible human beings, and I generally need to like some characters to like a work.

Teshi
Member # 5024

Ah, but Cats does have a plot. *ahem* A pretty, er, terrible one, but there is a 'story'.

So all the cats come together for their annual Jellicle Ball thing. At the ball, one of them will be chosen to go on to the Cat heaven. Much of the rest of the musical is a list of nominees, as it were, except for the occaisional entrance of Macavity, who stirs up trouble by kidnapping the Old Old Cat (whatever his name is).

At the end, they sum up what you have learnt about Cats and one of the cats is chosen to go on to the cat afterlife.

Starlight Express has a similar 'plot', actually. But they're on roller skates. How cool is that? Granted, I saw it when I was seven or eight, but I loved it then.

Personally, my least favourite musical I have seen or been in is South Pacific. It was no fun at all.

[ March 17, 2004, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Starlight Express and Carousel are both pretty terrible, yeah. [Smile]

Are we sticking to musicals which have played on Broadway? Because there are LOTS of really horrific musicals out there. [Smile]

[ March 17, 2004, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

As I said, no plot.
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Roll Eyes]
lcarus
Member # 4395

Starlight Express is Cats.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to like one and not the other, unless it's the unoriginality of Starlight you object to.

dkw
Member # 3264

Annie Get Your Gun is my least favorite of musicals I’ve actually been in. Although that may have had as much to do with the director and choreographer as the play itself. But after I read the real story of how that shooting contest turned out, it made me hoppin’ mad.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

Hey Dana . . . I've scrupulously stayed out of Bob's thread so far. Should I click on it?
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Showboat.

Although that may have had more to do withthe fact that the entire day was crummy.

But I didn't really enjoy it a lot.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Only if you have a very high tolerance for mushiness.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus...you must do what you must do.

[Razz]

Yeah, it's safe, just mushy!!!

Oh, and Oh Calcutta! is probably the worst play I've ever seen, and it has music, so I guess it counts as a musical.

Sweeney Todd is the weirdest musical, but it's not bad, it's good.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
No one has said Evita ?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I just remembered the one and only musical that is worse than Carousel. It's audience is somewhat limited, but I'd bet that close to 50% of the posters here have either seen it or have some passing familiarity with it.

Saturday's Warrior

Written by Lex de Azevedo (or Lex de Raw Potato, as my former seminary teacher/bishop used to say), this is the hideously cheesy and utterly blasphemous story of a Mormon family, beginning in heaven before they are all born, continuing through the adolescence of the oldest children.

In its heyday, this show did more damage to the testimonies of young LDS people (in my opinion) than almost any other human contrivance in history. It has been relied upon as quasi-scripture by countless gullible Mormons, and praised for its great "music" and "humor" when in fact it has none of either.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Showboat is extremely mushy.

EDIT: I did MISinterpret a few posts up there. However, Showboat is still a mushy musical, so I'll leave it at that.

[ March 17, 2004, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
  • Phantom of the Opera
  • You're a Good Man Charlie Brown
  • A Chorus Line
  • The ones Icarus listed

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
What Icarus failed to mention is that Starlight Express is Cor's favorite musical. But, according to her, you have to see it with the original London staging or it just doesn't work.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Miss Saigon

*gak*

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
South Pacific

I'm generally pretty easy to please when it comes to musicals, but SP is an exception. Easily the most horrible thing I've ever seen on stage.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Xena--The Musical episode.
Buffy--The Musical Episode.

but the worst of the worst.

Love Boat--The Musical Episode.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! The Buffy musical episode was excellent.

The Boyfriend is an excellent stage musical, but I can't say the same about the movie (Twiggy should never try to sing).

I like Les Miz, actually.

Rent- I like it, but it's much overrated. And Music Man is way too long.

Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Phantom of the Opera

UGGH! I have seen it so manytimes and not once have I enjoyed it.

Stupid people dragging me to it time and time again [Grumble]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dreamwalker
Member # 4189

- posted      Profile for Dreamwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
o.k I put The Rocky Horror Picture show in the other thread coz it is really good, but in a cheesy, over the top way. It's also really bad [Evil] the alien transvestite does squick a few people out [Evil Laugh] funnily enough it is also promoted as a family show... and our former Prime Minister (Robert Muldoon) was the narrator for a while complete with his fish-net stockings.... [Blushing]
You guys really should see it [Taunt]

Posts: 141 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is an absolutely awful movie. What's great about it is the experience of seeing it in a theater with regulars (and a shadow cast, if you're lucky). The audience participation makes that movie.

Renting it and watching it at home . . . ugh . . .

-o-

btw, How to Stop Being a Rocky Horror Newbie More Quickly: Sneak a tape recorder into the theater with you, then rent the movie and watch it with the tape playing until you learn all the responses.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Lord. If we had known that a virgin had brought in a tape recorder, we would have had that kid up on stage with us for the whole friggin' show. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
What Icky said....

...is right

Rocky Horror can only be appreciated at the theatre -- because it is the audience that makes it work -- the show itself is horrible.

Farmgirl

*holding newspaper over her head*

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried watching Rocky Horror at a free showing at a sci-fi con once. I left within ten minutes. I don't remember much about the movie, but the audience was horribly vulgar.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dreamwalker
Member # 4189

- posted      Profile for Dreamwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
EEEWWWWWWWWWW why would you watch it at home by yourself *sick puppies*
you watch it LIVE at MIDNIGHT if you can't see a live show then I guess the movie at the theatre would be o.k but not by yourself *shudders* the whole point is the audience is part of the show

Posts: 141 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated Carousel ( horrible idea in there, if the man who loves you hits you it doesn't really hurt?)
Don't like Seven Brides...for much the same reason...if a bunch of guys kidnap a bunch or girls, the girls will come to love them?

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Listen, the Buffy Musical episode was a fun EPISODE but not a GOOD MUSICAL. it's just not, folks. one reason being that nothing happens besides mustard stains and a not-surprising kiss.

Bad Musicals:
Jesus Christ Superstar
Side Show
Lion King

Most musicals I can deal with as long as they're Done Well. But most musicals are not Done Well. So most musicals end up Bad. Those three musicals I feel are Inherently Bad. I've seen them all Done Well and still Haven't Liked Them At All.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I don't remember much about the movie, but the audience was horribly vulgar."

*clutches chest, stricken almost dumb with laughter*

I'm trying to imagine a Mormon walking unsuspecting into a live showing of RHPS: "O my stars! You people should all be ashamed of yourselves!" [Smile]

Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a high school pit orchestra for CarouselThe only fun part about it was the pranks we pulled on the cast at the pickup rehearsal.

"This was a real nice clambake,
We're mighty glad we came.
The vittles we et were good, you bet!
The company was the same."

*sigh*

Edit: UBB Code not HTML..

[ March 17, 2004, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Nato ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Les Miserables? They should call it More Miserables.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Everytime I see Charles Gray in a movie or TV show, I have to physically stop myself from yelling, "That man has no f*&^ing neck!"

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I have a similar but not identical problem whenever I see Barry Bostwick. [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Must have made watching Spin City difficult.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Among other things, yes. [Smile]
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
What Icarus failed to mention is that Starlight Express is Cor's favorite musical. But, according to her, you have to see it with the original London staging or it just doesn't work.
Well there you go. I saw it in London a while back. And it WAS good.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Terrible musical: Paint Your Wagon. Clint Eastwood should NOT sing.

I loved Cats and Starlight Express. I saw both in London in the mid-80s.

And I loved Les Miserables. There's something to love about a stage production that makes you sob by the end.

I didn't love Into the Woods, but maybe it's just me.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.