FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Which is more egregious: fluff or complaint threads

Author Topic: Which is more egregious: fluff or complaint threads
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you noticed that the very people who criticize fluff for clogging up the board create their own plaque on the virtual arteries of this site by adding threads in which to bitch?

This is of course compounded by metacognitive threads that ponder such inconsistencies...

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Soooo, erm, which kind of thread is this?

I can't tell...

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

A little of each?
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer Silk threads myself.

Do you know how much fluff it takes to make a pound of thread?

Well, actually, about a pound of fluff.

Buy, hey, a pound is a lot of fluff.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
Pun threads are the worst.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
So far, fluff threads outnumber grinch threads about 1 billion to 1.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep it up, Dog. You're swaying the balance of this one. [Wink]
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
silkworms don't make fluff

so there!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

No, bellybuttons do...
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Loving the fluff. Fluff comes and goes around here like the ocean tide. From what I've seen this afternoon...

Fluffs up!

Which suits me...can't swim in that deep water.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
We're hitting the lower curve of our cycle here on the board. It's time for "I hate fluff and emoticon" threads, along with "I hate threads that complain about fluff and emoticon threads" along with "Let's Dobie ALL of these threads because they're taking up the whole front page anyway" threads etc.

Our homosexuality and political debates got a little heated, so the fluff returned, right on schedule. But, this grinchy part of the cycle is coming around earlier than forcasted. We haven't even had a month of fluff since the last flurry of 'serious' threads! Is the cycle becoming shorter? Moving faster?

Who knows? I guess it's just comforting that something in this crazy old mixed up world is predictable.

*stretches luxuriously and reads some more threads*

[Razz]

[ March 18, 2004, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sevumar
Member # 4420

- posted      Profile for Sevumar           Edit/Delete Post 
Messageboards are all about communication. Fluff and complaints are valid forms of communication.
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Just because message board software accepts these posts doesn't make it "valid".

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps not, but the fact that the board's owners do sure does.

[ March 18, 2004, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sevumar
Member # 4420

Communication is simply the act of transmitting a message. Validity is in the eye of the beholder. Running around screaming like a maniac is still communication, even if you don't think very highly of it or the person doing it.
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

rivka:

j/k [Smile]

The post above mine just sounded a little too whiny [Smile] I didn't think this thread was that serious.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*runs around screaming like a maniac*

'Sok, Bok. I just have a reputation as a -- what is it again? "defender of fluff," I think -- to maintain. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sevumar
Member # 4420

I'm pro-fluff, so I have to protect it [Smile]
Narnia
Member # 1071

I'm in rivka's army.

*salutes*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
If we look at the roots of the word egregious, we have ex- out of, grex - flock, and ious, meaning I owe yous. I think more people fluff than whine, so whining is more out of the flock. Now Unmaker owes me $5.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*sings* We are the Folk-Fluff Army,
Every one of us cares!
We all hate grinches, war, and injustice --
Unlike the rest of you squares.

There is innocuous fluff,
But we regard it with scorn.
The folks who post it have no social conscience.
Why, they don't even care if Bob cracks a pun!

If you feel dissatisfaction
Fluff your frustrations away
Some people may prefer action
But give me a fluffy post any old day!

(with apologies to Tom Lehrer)

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, I don't think there's really any point in getting annoyed - or at least voicing annoyance - with complaint or fluff threads. I learned my lessons from the world of Pooh:

Many of the Complaint threads are of the Eeyore variety. Life isn't right, it will never be right, it feels right for it not to be right. So what happens when you go in and complain about the complaining?

Two things: The response from Eeyore: "Oh, great, things were rough already. Excuse me for breathing."

Then, of course, others will point out that you, too, have become an Eeyore. [Wink]

I think of "fluff" threads as "Tigger" threads:

"Woo-hoo, this is fun! Look at that! That's hysterical!"

So you come in and complain.

Tigger's response: "Woo-hoo! You're funny!"

Shrug or surrender is my advice.

(Please - this was MEANT to be humorous and is not meant to make fun of any particular person on Hatrack AT ALL. We all have our Eeyore days - most of us, anyway. Hopefully, we all have Tigger days as well.)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*bounces past*
Bokonon
Member # 480

I think the above spectacle has definitely proven that fluff is much more egregious than complaints.

Egregious. Fluff.

EgrEEEE-gious.

Man, I love that word.

-Bok

Narnia
Member # 1071

I think that it should be the word of the day. Someone post it in the word of the day thread!!

Thanks for contributing to the fluff Bok!! [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

Spectacle? [Embarrassed]

[Cry]

Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
Metacognitive threads are especially well suited for academicians. While fluff threads are clearly arterial plaque, bitching threads about the arterial plaque are not plaque themselves. At least based on the devolution of the current bitching thread, they are a coping mechanism which seeks to flush some of the plaque via vigorous exercise, especially interpersonal fighting.

What is now needed is a good angioplasty thread. I haven't yet figured out what that might be, but when I do I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

rivka, spectacles are, uh, GOOD things!

yeah, everyone likes to go to the circus, right?

Or a public execution!

See, that's how I meant it... I think.

-Bok

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Jacare
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't help but love Rivka!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
zgator- there is a very good reason I wanted you dead in that mafia game. I am growing to understand that more and more with each post.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
And again we have the wisdom of sndrake.

But where does Wol fit into all of this?

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing]

Impressed that sometimes my irritation - or whimsy, depending on mood - can translate into "wisdom" - who knew? [Wink]

At least I didn't kill this thread, unlike another one I spouted off on recently. [Wink]

As to WOL - I dunno, how do you see yourself fitting into the picture, oh wise one?

[ March 19, 2004, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Jacare, in what way were you responsible for poor little willie's death?

I'm not trying to make anyone reveal clues, just rhetoricating. He was stabbed by the serial killer.

[ March 19, 2004, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: skrika03 ]

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

I didn't say that I killed him, just that I wanted him dead. I was attempting to lead a lynch mob to take Willie out when the serial killer made my work moot.
rivka
Member # 4859

A public execution?! [Eek!] [Angst] [No No] [Cry]

*runs for her life* [Wave]

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jacare wrote:What is now needed is a good angioplasty thread. I haven't yet figured out what that might be, but when I do I'll be sure to let everyone know.
Why don't we just have some nice regular anti-thrombotic threads that prevent the plaque from forming in the first place?
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

good call

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.