FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does the sun make you sneeze? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Does the sun make you sneeze?
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, here's the deal. My hubby and I have had a long-standing friendly disagreement about this. Ever since I can remember, I have experienced the phenomenon of sneezing right after walking out into bright sunlight. The light stings my eyes, which triggers a tickle in my sinuses, and a sneeze often results. I can feel it. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens fairly frequently.

My husband thinks this is the silliest thing ever. He has never experienced it and thinks it's all in my head. My family members experience it also, and I tell you, I have seen my kids do it.

Recently I was with my husband's entire immediate family, pleading for evidence for my case. I started, "You know how bright sunlight can make you sneeze? Well...." Their response was a collective, "Whaaa?" and I was promptly laughed at.

So, I thought I would ask you wonderful, knowledgable people. Who here has experienced this phenomenon? And just out of curiosity, if you have, is it related to having light colored eyes? My mom swears that people with light colored eyes tend to be more sensitive to bright light. I don't know if that is true or not. I also wonder if this sneezing phenomenon is genetic thus explaining the utter lack of occurrance in his family.

Or is it all in our heads, either mine or theirs? Perhaps they have done it and not realized or I am having some weird psycosomatic response based on falsehood past down generation to generation.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's ever happened to me, although there are plenty of other things outdoors that make sneeze. However, you're not nuts. I have heard about this from lots of people. It's actually quite common.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Happens to me all the time. I also have a sneezing fit if something bumps my nose.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have often experienced it, while driving in my car. I'll make the turn and the sun will be glaring off the dirt on my windshield. Im forced to look through because Im driving, and it will cause me to sneeze. Also when I walk outside and the light is just right. I believe in it... but im not sure how scientific it is... [Dont Know]
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Happens to me all the time. It's happened to friends of mine, too. It's not just your family.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel bad for you, beverly. I hate it when you KNOW something is right and everyone cracks up at you because THEY don't get it. GRRRR.

Hey, my husband doesn't believe in ice cream headaches. Isn't that weird?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=0004BA86-E838-1DD3-A838809EC588F2D7
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad and I both get sun-sneezes all the time! I've been told I'm nuts when I say it's from the sun, but I know it is.

edit: Dagonee, that is a great link - I had no idea it was actually genetic!

[ March 18, 2004, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Vána ]

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You are all nuts.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
You know how sometimes if you're chewing, you cough and a piece of whatever you were chewing goes into your nasal passage and makes your nose twitch and want to sneeze?

Well, I did that one time with a Sun Chip (French Onion). Kinda similar.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually got my light sensitivity after using tetracycline (for severe acne), which is a possible side effect. Starting in college, if I went from dark to light, my nose tickles and I let out a nice dry sneeze.

-Bok

EDIT: Hmm, maybe it's just genetic, but it never happened before college (and after tetracycline, which is known to cause light sensitivity) to me.

[ March 18, 2004, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

[ROFL]
Thanks, guys, you're great!

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you're not suggesting that we get rid of the sun just to cure your sneezing.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I've never taken Tetracycline, but I gave to my gerbil once. [Cool]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this another Teceract joke?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I refuse to believe it's genetic until they find the DNA code!

[Wink]

See, the folks who don't believe in ACHOO sneezing will think this is fluff. But I can tell you that I do have this, even though my eyes are so dark you can't actually see the pupils without an electric torch. Though my mother did have blue eyes.

I think the sun causes my eyes to water, which primes the nose to sneeze. I don't do it often, though. I guess you could say I'm metro-sneezable.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Thanks to Dag's link giving this phenomenon a name that I can google, I have been researching this a bit more an the two prominent theories are "crossed wires" in the brain and eyes watering into the nose.
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
See, the folks who don't believe in ACHOO sneezing will think this is fluff.
I find this extremely sad for some reason. [Frown]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

That's me - Google-muse to the stars.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...even though my eyes are so dark you can't actually see the pupils without an electric torch.
Electric torch? We call that a flashlight here in America, Trisha. You aren't from the UK! Silly Americans trying to be British - just like Madonna with her faux accent. [No No]

I would think the ACHOO reflex would be an undesirable trait and I'm surprised humans have it. 3,000 years ago, a man might have stepped out of the jungle into bright sunlight momentarily, sneezed, and then got eaten by large predators alerted to his presence by the sneeze. Or unnecessary sneezing would have alerted prey he was hunting, causing them to scamper away, leaving him hungry.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you calling me pretentious?

I thought about flashlight, but it's kind of a violent word. I was trying to think of a synonym that better described the little lights they used to examine eyes rather than the kind that cops use to scare kids who are making out in the back seats of cars.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the late entry, but yes I too sneeze just after entering bright sunlight, and only sneeze for the first minute or two. Then I'm golden!
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I sneeze when I first go out in bright sunlight. And I have blue eyes.

BTW. Have you ever tried to sneeze with your eyes open? I bet you can't do it.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I sneeze when other people are brushing my hair. Is that the same thing?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread made me sneeze.

Seriously.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Me and Kira are both affected by the sun this way. I never even noticed it till one day i had to sneeze and she said, "look at the sun, it'll help". and it worked! good thing i was one of those 30%.

I asked someone at work why that happened and they said something along the lines of the light overloaded your nasal receptors or something like that. Is that complete BS or is there validity to that?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a real hard time convincing people I sneeze in pairs. (ie. whenever I sneeze I sneeze again a few seconds later.)
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
This happens to me all the time. Don't know if it has anything to do with eye color, though. I have hazel eyes - they're sort of amber colored with green flecks.

Actually it is really helpful to have this. Sometimes when I get that awful feeling of needing to sneeze, but can't quite get it out, I just run out into the sun (or look toward any other bright light; that works as well) and the sneeze comes out nice as you please.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

God bless you, imogen.
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to do a genetics midterm project. I am so doing this.

Wow...impressive.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Both my kids get "sun sneezes." You mean it's not normal?
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Glad to help ya out HRE. ^_^
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few friends who have that problem. Me, I have sneezing fits when I pluck my eyebrows.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Glenn Arnold:

Have you ever tried to sneeze with your eyes open? I bet you can't do it.

Don't do it! Your eyes will pop out.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I once sneezed and managed to keep my eyes open. My eyes didn't pop out, but they did hurt a lot.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. The sun usually makes me want to nap. Sun-drenched happy episodes are the usual dreamy fare.
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and almost always in sets of two or three. Although, recently I have had more singleton sneezes, which before this year happened only once in a blue moon.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
I sneeze almost every time I walk outside on a nice day. I only sneeze once, within seconds of going outside, and that's it. I have always wondered what caused it. I thought maybe it was just something in the air. I never thought about it being the sun. [Cool] I am every sensitive to bright lights and I do have hazel eyes. hmmm
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I sneeze at the sun on very hot days. I am not very sensitive to it, but it does happen pretty much when I look directly at the Sun at a very high angle.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I never used to have sun-sneezes, but a few summers ago I started sneezing, and now I sometimes sneeze when I enter the sunlight, or feel like sneezing.

I have brown eyes.

EDIT: Sneeze is a funny word when used a lot. Heh.

[ March 19, 2004, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I sneeze because of bright light as well and I almost always sneeze twice in rapid succession. My wife always waits for the second sneeze to say bless you/gezundheit.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I sneeze almost every time I walk outside on a nice day. I only sneeze once, within seconds of going outside, and that's it. ...I do have hazel eyes.
Exact same for me. Only thing is that when I was a younger it didn't work for me. Only in the last 5-10 years. Personally, I don't sneeze often, unless it's a sun-sneeze. I'm a habitual mouth breather.

One other strange phenomenon is that chocolate can make me sneeze. It helps if it's on the dark/bitter side and not milk chocolate, but I've sneezed to both.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
It just happened to me again right after posting. It's a nice day here in Utah.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

Would you guys mind helping me with my project? It would not require much...I might ask a few questions and try to assemble a pedigree...it would be nothing personal or offensive, I promise.

But it would make for a very unique project.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

Seriously, would anyone help? Totally confidential, I don't even need a real name.

Please?

beverly
Member # 6246

I would help you, HRE.
HRE
Member # 6263

Thanks much. I'll send you an e-mail very soon.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you need people who don't have this reaction also? Or only those who do?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

Only those that do...and preferably runs in the family.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I figured -- and why I haven't volunteered, even though I think it's a cool idea. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.